Official Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Re: Official Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Wow, this book sounds like a handful!! The story about the lump named “Alf” cracked me up. I know it’s not funny when there are people who actually suffer delusions like this, but I applaud the author’s ability to make stories like this entertaining.
Peter michira1
Currently Reading: Snowman Paul at the Winter Olympics
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Peter michira1 »

The book is filled with rogue stories of various topics. It is a collection of numerous short stories you can enjoy.For example in one of the stories you will read about an activist who suddenly starts to grow another head!Besides this story,the most interesting were"the outback","honey bunny",and "the baseball league.These political satire stories will make you laugh with their ironic humor.This book is great for anyone looking for a unique read. It contains 259 pages of interesting stories with interesting plots and characters
Lovewreading89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovewreading89.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lovewreading89 »

wow this sounds like tragic psychological humor about different people and the lives they live. definitely looks like a good read.
Emmanuelstankovic291
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmanuelstankovic291 »

:D
Wow
A book worth reading,starting from chapter one there were many intriguing elements down to the final chapter...definitely a Hit.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

This reviewer’s comment that the book is full of dark humor and beautiful descriptions as well as strong characters makes me rethink my original opinion that I wouldn’t be interested. I may have to take another look. Thanks for the review!
Tonykosi1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tonykosi1 »

The book seems good tho but it's hard to understand, because different people are involved
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

What an insanely humorous book. Another head, a very disturbing appurtenance Virgil woke up with, one morning, tried, or succeeded in dominating his life, even overshadowing his original head. Society, as usual, acted in a way as weird as the head itself. Hanna sure lived up to the tradition of fun that witty writers and entertainers are known for. It reminds me of Hanna-Barbera Cartoons, there is a "Hanna" factor in it, William Hanna. Are James Hanna and William Hanna related? Thanks for your informative review.
rsmithey39
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by rsmithey39 »

The play between science fiction and politics isn't normally my cup of tea. However, I got a kick out of the possibilities this work created in my mind. I laughed when I probably shouldn't.

Virgil, the main character, rushes to his physician when he sees a growth on his neck. Fearing the worst ("is it malignant?") he is stunned to learn he is growing another head. The reactions of this event are where the hilarity comes in. There are clearly two groups of people - those who accept and those who do not. A lot can be read into this as it seems to parallel everything in life. I thoroughly enjoyed the story.

While I would not have chosen this book on my own, I now want to go back and read the rest. I'm going to give this book a 4 out of 4.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Great review. I don't think this one is for me. Growing an extra head is really weird. I also tend to like single stories and not collections as much.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I am very interested! This sounds like a great book, and I can't wait to check it out. I love stories that make me think and surprise me, so I hope to really enjoy this one.
Jtminor5
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jtminor5.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Jtminor5 »

I have read the reviews, and I have read a portion of the book sample. I find it very peculiar, but not quite something of interest. I feel like this would be a pretty good movie to watch, but I am extremely particular about books to which I devote my spare time. Appreciate the sneak peak. And Congrats on the BOTD!
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

What an astonishing concept! Black humour, bizarre, unexpected...I agree with your review.
I particularly enjoyed some of the moments of irony as various levels of foolishness were on display.
The phrase that sprang to mind was: ‘very droll’.
Interesting to hear that as the stories and characters change so, too, does the writing style.
Thanks for your review.
Mama12
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Mama12 »

A Second less capable head

It’s a little weird for my taste but it did make me chuckle. It’s definitely a novel concept. I don’t think I could make it through all the stories but it is definitely a novel approach. Pun intended.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I love the way the reviewer explains the gist of the story in the 'Official Review: A Second, Less Capable Head',by James Hanna, about a different world of which we have no idea. It left me in high spirits!
Uneekmind
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uneekmind.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Uneekmind »

Great Review! The sample of the book that I read did not appeal to me at all. After reading your review I am interested to give the book another try.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”