Official Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Re: Official Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by N_R »

I don't normally like reading short stories, however, I think that this book sounds very insightful and it is interesting to consider life from these perspectives. Thanks for the review, I enjoyed it very much.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Thanks for your thoughtful and honest review. A Second, Less Capable, Head: And Other Rogue Stories are a set of weird stories that together form this book written by James Hanna. At first, I had doubts whether to go for it or not? After reading your review, I love to read more.
Sincerely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sincerely.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sincerely »

I am already in-love with this book, the stories, damn!
I love unique, I love weird and definately I love this book.
Your review has given me so much insight, hope i'll enjoy the book as much as you did.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I found the sample hilarious! Virgil's banter with Trixie, and ultimately the situation he found himself in, made for a funny read. I will not be finishing this story though because of the language and the mention of "some disturbing scenes".
monicanjuguna
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by monicanjuguna »

For real it would be very desperate to gaze into abyss and tragic as well glad you enjoyed the book but definitely not for me
Faith Mbasani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-mbasani.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Faith Mbasani »

Wow, I only read the first story and I didn't like it overmuch (it was nice but not what appeals to me). Your review makes me want to give the book a second chance though, nice.
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

Your review has made this book sound very intriguing. The strange and bizarre is described to be an eye opener to the people or characters of life that we quickly dismiss. This book is an opinion changer. It allows you to dive into the minds of criminals and have a view of their worlds. The human psyche is complicated. Thank you for your review.
Totsie28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Totsie28 »

I have not had the pleasure of reading this yet, but as someone who does not explore literature as much as I should or want to, I am definitely intrigued by the premise. I look forward to exploring this book and returning to supply an educated review. Until then...
Mailu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailu.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Mailu »

Thank you for this great review! This one sounds like my type. I'll have to read it for myself and know more about these collection of stories.
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

I don’t think I really want to explore the stories of degenerates.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

This collection of short stories is unique. The choice of the major themes is also unique. Written by a person who has been a probation officer is really a good way of learning about the mind of those people who 'do not conform with the societal expectations'. Thanks.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
GathuaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathuam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by GathuaM »

EMoffat wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 13:25 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Second, Less Capable Head" by James Hanna.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Second, Less Capable, Head And Other Rogue Stories is a collection of tales delving into the troubled minds of degenerates. You are swept along into the lives of schizophrenics, drug addicts, vagabonds, tiny aliens, stalkers, and much more as you engross yourself in the dark stories.

The beginning story where the book takes its name is a kick-start into the bizarre world, a world which gets stranger as you read on. A Second, Less Capable Head tells the tale of Virgil Ploughright, a plumber finding it hard to get work. He awakes one morning to find a lump on his neck. When he goes to the doctor to get it checked and removed he is told that this will not be allowed because it would be seen as murder. It turns out that he really is growing a second head alongside his own. As the head grows, and his girlfriend Trixie gets more and more attached to it, Virgil finds himself growing fiercely frustrated. It turns out that Virgil is not unique and there are many people all over the country sprouting second heads. As demonstrations and political explanations clash in the world around him, Virgil is only interested in getting away from 'Alf'. When the opportunity arises for him to finally get rid of 'Alf' he leaps at the chance. However, the opportunity will not turn out to be the relief he was hoping for.

This is just one of the many stories that make up A Second, Less Capable, Head And Other Rogue Stories. As you turn the pages you will learn about the art of flashing; the growing of mutant soldiers; the vengeance of a schizophrenic; the hallucinations of a drug addict, and much more.

I thought that A Second, Less Capable, Head And Other Rogue Stories by James Hanna was utterly fantastic. The writing style for each story changes to adapt to the surroundings and circumstances. Although some of the stories are very short, each is rich with strong characters, and they all draw you in. The pages are filled with dark humour and beautiful descriptions. Hanna draws expertly on his experience as a probation officer to give realistic characters in bizarre and twisting tales. Each story is unusual and immensely enjoyable leaving you wanting to read the next.

My favourite story, 'Hunny Bunny', tells the tale of a lesbian who has fallen in love. As the tale progresses you are completely on her side. You want her 'Hunny Bunny' to come to her and for them to live a happy life together. It is only as you reach the ending that you realise you have been reading from the point of view of a stalker. It was so interesting to be engrossed in this world, and it really opened my eyes to how 'normal' people with afflictions like this can come across. To be able to read from the point of view of many different types of people carrying out illegal and illicit actions was informative and intriguing. I take my hat off to Hanna who brought me into this world with grace, and gave me a view of some devilish miscreants with style and dignity.

Quotes and references to Nietzsche occur throughout the stories. The fact that Hanna draws so much from Nietzsche in the tales implies to me that he is very affected by his work. The quote "If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you" was used several times in different stories. This is obviously an important quote for Hanna. It shows how his career as a probation officer has lead him to have a more detailed insight into the minds of criminals, minds that most people have no hope or want to understand. I believe this quote shows that if you spend enough time and energy on something you will absorb some of its being back into you. The Nietzsche quote is seen to have negative connotations, especially as it follows: "He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster". The negative connotations the quote holds are perfectly fitted into this collection of short stories about criminals and down-and-outs, emphasising the unique view point that Hanna holds into the human psyche.

Without hesitation I award this book 4 out of 4 stars. The characters are witty and desperate, the stories weird and thought-provoking, and the writing style is amazing. The vocabulary Hanna uses is great, and I learnt several new words reading through the tales. I would recommend this book to a wide range of people who read different genres. It is a great book to pick up and put down as you do not need to read all of the stories at once. I would discourage young readers because of the content and some disturbing scenes. However, for everyone else, you should get a copy and throw yourself into the dark world.

A Second, Less Capable Head
View: on Bookshelves

Like EMoffat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Great review. I read a sample of the book and was utterly amazed at how seeing things from another persons view can reveal that you truly might be harbouring some dark thoughts. Very intriguing book.
Tur turee
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Tur turee »

The humor in this book is on another level. Each of the stories has a unique concept and style. Definitely worth your time
Yinny
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Yinny »

Huh,growing a second head?wow that will definitely be scary and weird. Sounds like horror. I love it. i really do not read scary stuff but this sounds interesting. I love the style and concepts about the book and can't just wait to read. thanks for the review
brenda1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda1992.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by brenda1992 »

Thanks for the review. As much as the book sounds very interesting, it doesn't capture me as part of it's audience.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”