Official Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Official Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Ha

Post by bookiegalke »

this isn't a genre I enjoy reading but the review is well written
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

Thank you, that means a lot :)
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This seems to be a unique and intriguing book. I am drawn to read it.

Thanks for the compelling review, EMoffat.
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thanks for the comment Miriam. It is worth a read :)
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

kandscreeley wrote:I'm glad you liked this one. It's definitely not for me. To Kafka like. Thanks for the lovely review.
I didn't think about this book being like Kafka's work. That's an interesting comparison that I think fits after reading the review. I think Kafka grew on me. I hated The Trial at first, because it was so confusing. I like it now though because it's so weird. I also heard the theory that the book was supposed to convey the confusion that the Jews felt during times of Antisemitism. I guess that they were arrested for no real reason or maybe it was just a metaphor. :eusa-think: Either way I like it much better after reading that, because it makes more sense to me.

This book does sound super weird, but it also gives interesting perspectives. I'll probably check it out. Great review!
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thanks for your detailed comment! I had also not made the comparison with Kafka's work until the comment. I then grew to understand the similarities.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I loved this review, you really made me want to read this! I like that the style is just as good as the content, that is so important. I also love that it follows untraditional characters and that it is a bit dark. Makes me think it might be like some of Roald Dahl's short stories for adults. Thanks for sharing!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thanks a lot Reuben! It is dark and humorous a lot like the Roald Dahl stories you're right :)
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html

Post by Reuben 92 »

I will definitely look it up in that case. Thanks again :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

"A collection of tales delving into the troubled minds of degenerates" sounds intriguing, especially as there are references to Nietzsche throughout the stories. It is great that the writing style for each story changes according to the setting. Not sure it is for me, but I am glad you liked it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A book containing "schizophrenics, drug addicts, vagabonds, tiny aliens, stalkers, and much more"? Sounds like a unique collection of stories! I love that the author drew from his experiences as a probation officer to create this unique, dark, and thought-provoking book. The stories seem to be twisted, yet probably worthwhile reading. 'Hunny Bunny' sounds both scary and fascinating. I can't imagine rooting for the one who ends up being a stalker! Not sure if this is for me as I'm not a fan of anthologies and disturbing scenes, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

The synopsis does sound strange but of course, life would be no fun if all we're exposed to is 'same ol', same ol'.... I truly appreciate the enthusiasm you exuded in this review and it's actually rubbing off on my curiosity. I like short stories and the samples you presented are enough to whet my appetite so I'll definitely be picking this one up. Thanks a lot!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Excellent review! I think I might have normally passed on this one but from your review I can't help but want to read this. The second head thing is weird true but I think it's your bringing Hunny Bunny out into the light that really grabbed my attention. I love a good twist and what better twist than to be rooting fir true love only to find out you've been rooting for a stalker. Congrats to the author on a terrific review and thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Great review! this book sounds a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!! Looking forward to reading this one.
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

Such a crazy cocktail! The author must have seen and heard quite a lot during his time as a probation officer. The book would be interesting to read. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”