Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post Number:#1 by NadineTimes10
» 14 Jul 2017, 03:25

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by NadineTimes10
Share This Review

Father Francis Gold, who calls himself Frank, is a young, Catholic priest from England. He’s headed to his first parish in the United States, a church named for none other than Saint Francis of Assisi. However, it soon becomes apparent that Frank’s seminary training hasn’t trained him for everything he’ll face as a priest in Can I Be Frank?, a novel by author Rob Wyatt.

The business and politics of the church entail more than Frank anticipated. Likewise, though he’s taken a vow of chastity, he’s not fully prepared to deal with flirtatious women, both outside and inside of the church walls. Moreover, after a run-in with a wealthy, domineering parishioner, Frank is not only in danger of losing his congregation, but he stumbles upon a hazardous, illegal operation. If Frank exposes the criminal activity at hand, it could turn the entire town on its head.

Now, a basic element of humor is its delivery of the unexpected. In this novel, the author presents unexpected situations in abundance. He doesn’t do so by way of thrills but in ordinary circumstances gone awry, related by a protagonist who’s never dull. Not only is there humor in Frank’s incidents and mishaps, but his narration itself is amusing. At times he’s blunt, and other times he dances around his meaning, allowing the reader to easily interpret the dance. Now and then, Frank even interrupts himself with his narration, interacting with his own story.

As funny as this tale is, however, it’s also substantive. Frank’s entrance into the priesthood is a practical career decision, more or less, and he simply wishes to help people. Yet, the process for helping people turns out not to be so simple. While the entire story is entertaining, the humor eases up somewhat as Frank’s situation becomes more complicated. He’s “plain old Frank,” but “Father Francis” expectations weigh on his shoulders. He faces issues as minor as his confusion between British and American English, and as major as the poverty of immigrants living nearby.

Hence, the book has plenty for the reader to laugh about, but the author doesn’t present the story as a complete joke. The novel’s themes of compassion, corruption, integrity, and teamwork are relevant and down-to-earth. Granted, there are a few sentences without proper dialogue tags, and unnecessary commas appear in some of the Scripture references that open up the chapters. Aside from those minimal details, the writing is polished, with a flow that’s natural and easy to follow.

Overall, this is a story with heart and substance, conveyed in a vastly comical, engaging, and relatable style. Therefore, I give Can I Be Frank? a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to fans of humorous contemporary fiction that takes a look at serious matters, both inwardly and outwardly.

Can I Be Frank?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
NadineTimes10's Latest Review: "Blooming Rose" by Rob Wyatt
NadineTimes10

Favorite Book: John Nielson Had a Daughter
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 77 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 24 Jul 2017, 15:39

I do love the fact that there's humor in this book. At the same time, though, it brings up serious matters. Sounds like a pretty good book! Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 88 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 71%

Post Number:#3 by NadineTimes10
» 24 Jul 2017, 15:42

kandscreeley wrote:I do love the fact that there's humor in this book. At the same time, though, it brings up serious matters. Sounds like a pretty good book! Thanks for the review.

You're welcome! Yeah, I appreciate it when an author can crack me up but make me think at the same time. :)
NadineTimes10

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by LadyClaire
» 24 Jul 2017, 16:50

I appreciate the humor in the book a lot and the fact that you were frank about your review.
Thanks for the review. Its a major eye opener.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
LadyClaire

Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#5 by NadineTimes10
» 24 Jul 2017, 17:07

LadyClaire wrote:I appreciate the humor in the book a lot and the fact that you were frank about your review.
Thanks for the review. Its a major eye opener.

Frank about my review of Can I Be Frank? with Father Frank. Heehee! :D Pardon me if no pun was intended. I couldn't resist. :)
NadineTimes10

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by raikyuu
» 24 Jul 2017, 20:38

It seems that the author achieves a good balance between seriousness and humor in this book. Great review!
What should I do with my life?

"You don't have to do anything."
raikyuu

Favorite Book: The Republic
Currently Reading: A History of Western Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 38 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 103%

Post Number:#7 by MUTEBI ASHIRAF
» 25 Jul 2017, 02:49

there is humor and also its educative to some people like me,thanks for the book
MUTEBI ASHIRAF

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#8 by Naval Aulakh
» 25 Jul 2017, 07:58

It is a very good review. Thanks for the review :D
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Naval Aulakh's Latest Review: "Aeternus" by D. E. Flintoff
Naval Aulakh

Currently Reading: Moonful of Love
Bookshelf Size: 50 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 80%

Post Number:#9 by nebula nation
» 25 Jul 2017, 14:26

its well written and structured where there is a even balance between the humorous part but also the serious matters at hand ,it is quite enjoyable to read ,as it intrigues me in numerous different ways
nebula nation

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#10 by The Researcher
» 26 Jul 2017, 01:29

Nice review. I was vascillating with my decision regarding this novel. But i think your take on its humorous nature made my decision to go forward with this book.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 95 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 158%

Post Number:#11 by NadineTimes10
» 26 Jul 2017, 13:06

The Researcher wrote:Nice review. I was vascillating with my decision regarding this novel. But i think your take on its humorous nature made my decision to go forward with this book.

Oh, if you do, I hope you enjoy the read! :) I've actually started the sequel, and it's good so far.
NadineTimes10

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Lest92
» 26 Jul 2017, 16:32

I enjoy it when an author can weave together humour and life's complications. Will read this book:) Your review convinced me to give it a whirl.
Lest92

Currently Reading: The Witches of Eastwick
Bookshelf Size: 181 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#13 by NadineTimes10
» 26 Jul 2017, 16:33

Lest92 wrote:I enjoy it when an author can weave together humour and life's complications. Will read this book:) Your review convinced me to give it a whirl.

Oh, yay--that's what I like to hear! :D
NadineTimes10

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#14 by CatInTheHat
» 26 Jul 2017, 21:15

raikyuu wrote:It seems that the author achieves a good balance between seriousness and humor in this book. Great review!

I recently read this book. The balance is excellent between seriousness and humor. I laughed so much but I also cried and got angry at the injustices that Father Frank dealt with in the story.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.
CatInTheHat's Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
CatInTheHat
Member of the Month

Currently Reading: Split Second
Bookshelf Size: 411 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 65%

Post Number:#15 by juliusotinyo
» 26 Jul 2017, 22:02

Very well written review, I've been ignoring this book but your piece has convinced me otherwise.
juliusotinyo's Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
juliusotinyo

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 17 Books
Goal Completion: 105%

Next