Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: No Pit So Deep by James N. Miller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: No Pit So Deep by James N. Miller

Post Number:#1 by NadineTimes10
» 08 Jul 2017, 05:12

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Pit So Deep" by James N. Miller.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by NadineTimes10
Share This Review

Cody Musket is a star athlete with fans all over the United States, but he’s more than a baseball player. He’s a former Medal of Honor winner with haunting secrets from his past military career. Brandi Barnes is a journalist whose editorials on human trafficking have put her in danger. After an attack on her life brings Cody into her path, love may become their greatest weapon to combat the darkness in No Pit So Deep: The Cody Musket Story, a novel by author James Nathaniel Miller II.

This first book in the Cody Musket series has a multicultural cast of characters and a blend of contrasting elements that work well together. There are thrilling moments of action along with stirring moments of human connection. The author touches on a range of critical issues in the US, including the modern slave trade, racism, and veterans dealing with post traumatic stress disorder. The book addresses dark subjects head-on, yet there’s plenty of humor and a strong thread of faith woven through the story, balancing the tone.

Cody and Brandi keep the dialogue interesting, not always taking the most obvious route. The novel’s material can get rather gritty, particularly where war violence is concerned, but the grittiness isn’t gratuitous. It effectively serves its purpose, bringing the depth of Cody’s trauma to life. It also strengthens the overall theme from the title—a title that a number of readers of faith may recognize.

The romantic chemistry between the hero and heroine is relational, not merely physical. However, these two characters have longstanding, deep-seated issues, and neither one seems like they would form relationships suddenly. Hence, the development of their emotions toward each other feels rushed. Brandi’s serious problem with men is mentioned several times, so it seems there’d be more doubt or hesitancy in her behavior and her thoughts about Cody, particularly in their first days together. Within hours of their initial encounter, Cody and Brandi have both declared a desire to be friends, and they begin to interact as people who already believe in each other.

The third-person narration doesn’t have a lot of rampant “head-hopping.” However, the point of view does switch between characters rather abruptly in places. In some moments, it becomes unclear from whose point of view a scene or a reflection is unfolding. Also, a couple of events in the novel are so blatantly coincidental that they feel out of place. Moreover, the way the development switches gears toward the end of the novel doesn’t quite fit. New characters and new background stories are introduced so late in the book, it feels as if the novel isn’t sure exactly where or how to wrap things up.

Nevertheless, even with its weaknesses, this is an entertaining story with depth, an engaging style, and an inspirational message. Therefore, I give No Pit So Deep a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to fans of Christian thrillers and romantic suspense, especially those with an interest in military and social issues.

No Pit So Deep
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
NadineTimes10's Latest Review: "Blooming Rose" by Rob Wyatt
NadineTimes10

Favorite Book: John Nielson Had a Daughter
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 77 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: No Pit So Deep by James N. Miller

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 22 Jul 2017, 07:16

Great review. This might be something I'm interested in. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 89 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 72%

Post Number:#3 by NadineTimes10
» 22 Jul 2017, 12:56

kandscreeley wrote:Great review. This might be something I'm interested in. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

You're welcome! If you do, I hope you enjoy it. :)
NadineTimes10

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by Nano94
» 23 Jul 2017, 11:01

nice book
Nano94

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#5 by LadyClaire
» 24 Jul 2017, 18:24

I like your review so much that I want to check this one out. Thanks for the review, NadineTimes10.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
LadyClaire

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#6 by NadineTimes10
» 24 Jul 2017, 18:51

LadyClaire wrote:I like your review so much that I want to check this one out. Thanks for the review, NadineTimes10.

You're quite welcome, LadyClaire!
NadineTimes10

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by bookiegalke
» 27 Jul 2017, 02:38

At face value this book's cover had me thinking that it would purely be a story about a base ball player going the extra mile to be the best base ball player but form this review, my perception is wrong. For that I reason i am considering reading it if only to satisfy my curiosity

-- 27 Jul 2017, 02:39 --

At face value this book's cover had me thinking that it would purely be a story about a base ball player going the extra mile to be the best base ball player but form this review, my perception is wrong. For that I reason i am considering reading it if only to satisfy my curiosity

-- 27 Jul 2017, 02:40 --

'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookiegalke

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 11%

Post Number:#8 by The Researcher
» 27 Jul 2017, 04:28

Very nice review! The book sure has an interesting plot. It is sad the wrapping of the climax is not so well thought.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 95 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 158%

Post Number:#9 by NadineTimes10
» 27 Jul 2017, 12:42

bookiegalke wrote:At face value this book's cover had me thinking that it would purely be a story about a base ball player going the extra mile to be the best base ball player but form this review, my perception is wrong. For that I reason i am considering reading it if only to satisfy my curiosity

I've done that before--read a book because I was curious. I may oftentimes be more curious than most, though, as I have a habit of not always reading book descriptions first, so I don't know what the books are about before I plunge in! :D

-- Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:59 am --

The Researcher wrote:Very nice review! The book sure has an interesting plot. It is sad the wrapping of the climax is not so well thought.

Thanks! I've a suspicion that the awkwardness near the end could be on account of the book setting up for its sequel. Still, even when a book may leave some questions or give some hints about a sequel, I like it when the first book wraps up in a way that matches the first book, instead of the ending feeling like a setup for something else. Again, that's only a suspicion of mine--I don't know if that's what the ending of this book is meant to be or not. :)
NadineTimes10

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by Juliet Esther
» 29 Jul 2017, 15:35

I would love to read this book despite its errors and shortcomings, the review is great. A touch of romance and action is enough for me plus the fact that it touches on some critical issies
Juliet Esther's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Juliet Esther

Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by NadineTimes10
» 29 Jul 2017, 15:45

Juliet Esther wrote:I would love to read this book despite its errors and shortcomings, the review is great. A touch of romance and action is enough for me plus the fact that it touches on some critical issies

Yes! And this may be the first thriller I've read with such a prominent romantic thread, particularly from a male author. :)
NadineTimes10

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by wahome julius
» 02 Aug 2017, 03:46

i would like to read this book it has a great synopsis this increasing once curiosity to know most. at first it's creating a mental picture that it would be based on the baseball article on it's face value. Due to the different events in it i would consider reading it all for my curiosity satisfaction too.
wahome julius

Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 6 books

Post Number:#13 by bookowlie
» 03 Aug 2017, 08:52

Another excellent, insightful review! The book doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Still, I am glad you enjoyed it despite the issues you mentioned.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie's Latest Review: "Ex-Rich Girl Tells All" by Kami Corban
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 237 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 59%

Post Number:#14 by NadineTimes10
» 03 Aug 2017, 13:16

bookowlie wrote:Another excellent, insightful review! The book doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Still, I am glad you enjoyed it despite the issues you mentioned.

Thank you, Owlie! And, yes, this book was kind-of a different cup of tea for me, too. :D It didn't exactly get me raring to read the sequel, personally, but, yes, I'm glad I can say I enjoyed it. :)
NadineTimes10

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#15 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 06 Aug 2017, 10:48

I like that the book addresses serious issues without becoming sombre, its important to have good books that deal with important issues, it makes it easier if the book is entertaining as well. Thank you for this review. :)
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "Everything is gonna be alright" by Treava
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading: Anastasia's Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Next