Review by Ssinghal -- Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Ssinghal
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Bookshelf Size: 1121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Review by Ssinghal -- Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

Post by Ssinghal » 05 Jul 2017, 18:59

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hello My Love: A Modern Love Story by Evy Journey is Book One in the Between Two Worlds series, a well-written romance that is character-driven and uncharacteristically gripping. Its main characters are Greg Thorpe and Elise Halverson as the protagonists and Lori Williams as the main antagonist for most of the story.

Elise Halverson is a smart yet naïve, beautiful lady who is training to become a lawyer. A hardcore feminist, she has no hesitation in standing up to what she thinks is right. She is very career-minded and refuses to let even love to get into the way. She is often rude to men when they try to approach her. On the other hand, Greg Thorpe is a millionaire playboy who has had various affairs but has never fallen in love. He engages in some business related issues with Elsie’s father and meets Elsie frequently in dinners hosted by Elsie’s mother. He finds himself falling for her. Elsie also begins to like him a bit but is adamant to repress those feelings and friend-zones him, limiting their conversations to intellectual and work-related issues only. Due to parental pressure, Greg decides to get married to Lori Williams. However, a couple of days prior to the marriage, Greg brings Elsie to his home and they end up making love, and Greg realises for the first time that she loves him as well. However, she feels guilty about making love to an engaged man and leaves.

Greg decides to call off his engagement with Lori since he realises he cannot love anyone except Elsie. Lori gets furious and vows to make him regret this decision to jilt her. After settling a lawsuit with her, he turns gloomy as he does not have the courage to face Elsie again. Two years later, he finally mutters the courage to call Elsie only to find that she has a child from the night they made love. They agree to marry each other and hope all their problems are over. However a few days later, they realize their problems are far from over. The various problems they face and how their love for each other triumphs in the end against all odds forms the rest of the story.

As I read the story, I could not help comparing Evy Journey’s style of writing to that of Jane Austen’s novels, especially Pride and Prejudice. The similar mentality and way of thinking between Elise and Elizabeth Bennet. The story is written from the perspective of an independent woman, which makes it all the more interesting. Another good part about the novel is that it does not waste time in lovemaking scenes with unnecessary details that distract the reader from the flow of the book. This book is quite to the point, which increases the enjoyment factor exponentially.

There is a lot to look forward to in this romance slash mystery story. Readers will enjoy the unpredictability of the plot, the twists, and the depth of character. One of the things Evy Journey does so well is that she explores the depth of human emotion and psychology, and it will be interesting to see how the characters evolve through the conflict. I found myself unable to get up and put the book down until I was done with the last page. The book is very intriguing and will compel the reader to finish it in one sitting.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is very well edited and presented in a very formidable manner. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys romance novels. I look forward to reading the other two books in this series.

Hello, My Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Ssinghal's review? Post a comment saying so!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin

Nishit Kumar
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nishit-kumar.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Nishit Kumar » 31 Jul 2017, 03:29

WOW.... A love story with suspense in it.. Really, what more could one ask for?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”