Official Review: The Sixth Republic by Howard Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Official Review: The Sixth Republic by Howard Robinson

Post by EMoffat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sixth Republic" by Howard Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

France has elected its first female President, Marianne Mercier, the leader of the extreme right-wing party, Avenir Francais. With her rise to power France is going to change. As Mercier changes laws and practices, bringing in the Sixth Republic, she also brings death and destruction to France. Targeting all 'minority' groups, she wants to take back France for the French. She starts by leaving the European Union before she swiftly closes the French borders, trapping all the 'undesirables' inside.

As racist and homosexual attacks increase, spurred on by Avenir Francais's 'security force', inhumane measures are taken under the pretense of protecting the people. All groups that are considered to be threatening the French way of life are taken away to communes. They lose their homes, are separated from their loved ones, and are cut off from the rest of the world. Much like concentration camps. Will the people of France realise in time their behaviour is immoral, and be able to save their fellow man?

Meanwhile in the United Kingdom, a similar dark path is being followed. With Hugo Sherriden at the head of the NIP (National Independence Party), he is doing everything in his power to make the UK follow in the ominous footprints of France. Using the Prime Minister as his puppet he is gathering violent followers, and spreading hate and discord through the nation. With a small band of resisters, primarily using a Facebook page, they must ban together, and do everything they can to stop the spreading madness.

The Sixth Republic by Howard Robinson is a fascinating tale of a world I hope will never come into being. The story is told by several characters, their lives cleverly intertwining as the tale progresses. The character development is amazing, and I ended up caring deeply for the people, who really came to life for me. Their suffering, pain, loss, love, and victory, were all very real and relatable.

A bizarre and harrowing tale, especially after the very recent elections in France. An election where a very similar, right wing, Marianne Lepen almost made it to power. Although the incidents and situations in the book were taken to the extreme, it just goes to show how very real and present racism and bigotry is in our world. It was the unsettling, realistic aspects of the book which I found both most enjoyable and disturbing. With racism ever present in today's society, especially with recent terrorist attacks, it is horrible to think that the world, and people, I love so much could so easily turn on each other. However, it has happened in the past, and I hope beyond belief that Robinson's story, and all it holds, remains firmly in fiction.

Mercier is seen as a modern day Hitler - all the unjustifiable hatred, but also fueled by the power of social media. It was a throwback to World War II, and sometimes quite an unpleasant one at that. It includes brutal racist attacks which left me feeling uneasy. The book is written in a way that when you put it down, you can't stop thinking about it. You want justice for these fictional people between the pages, and you really care what happens to them. Within the volatile acts of hate, it was nice to read about love and dignity, which Robinson delicately weaves into the story.

With so many scenes of brutal violence and unspeakable hatred, there is only one quote which comes to mind. Robinson uses it within the novel as well which was very fitting: "The only necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." I like to think that in today's modern world, Edmund Burke's words would not ring true, and people would not stand aside and let events like these occur.

There was a few grammatical errors, and the occasional word which was not needed. However, the book did feel professionally edited. It had a certain dystopian feel, and was very gripping. It has a strong message that faith and unity will prevail, even in the darkest of times. Even if that faith is just in the goodness and equality of man. I award this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was original, and an amazingly written book. It hooked me straight from the beginning, and had me dying to know the ending. Apart from young readers, I would recommend everyone to read through these, sometimes disturbing, pages. It sheds a light on a touchy subject, and hopefully will open the eyes of anyone who holds the views that their country would be better without 'minorities'. It is their country too, and that is a lesson that should be well remembered.

The Sixth Republic
View: on Bookshelves

Like EMoffat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thank you for a wonderful review. The book brings across difficult issues that linger on but must not be let to take root in our society. Further, it helps highlight a possible eventuality regarding the extremism, that would be a wake up call to those of us who are willing to stand against it. From your review, its a book i will consider reading. Thanks.
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thanks Quinto! My thought exactly. You cannot stand idly by and let thoughts like that spread through the world.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

This is seriously politics on the extreme end. Just reading with hope that it's not a plan in the pipeline. I am feeling it will be intriguing to read the book. Thanks for a good review.
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thanks! It was an extreme view and hopefully one that stays as fiction!
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Wow, thank you for this review! This book sounds topical and timely, and well-written to boot. Definitely seems worth a read - thank you for bringing it to my attention.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thanks Reuben, was a really nice comment to read. I hope you enjoy the book, let me know what you think if you read it :)
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Quite a review there, I'd like very much to go thru this book
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thank you Geoffrey. Did you read the book?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”