Official Review: Discrimination and Harassment One woman...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Official Review: Discrimination and Harassment One woman...

Post by gaporter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Discrimination and Harassment One woman's personal story of trials,tribulations and triumph" by Sophia H. Garrett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There’s no denying that gender equality has progressed by leaps and bounds in the last 50 years or more. American women are free to hold careers, pursue education, and chase ambitions that far surpass what our grandmothers could have dreamed. There are legal mandates as well as evolving social norms that dictate the fair treatment of women in the workplace. However, this is not to say that discrimination does not still exist. Many instances of prejudice continue to slip through the cracks. Unfortunately, identifying (and proving) the root of the problem can be very difficult. A shadow of doubt is often cast over the cause of ill-treatment: Is it really my own fault? Can it possibly be something as ridiculous as sexism in this day and age? Author Sophia H. Garrett has experienced this horrible dilemma in her position as a psychiatrist and wrote her non-fiction book Discrimination and Harassment One woman's personal story of trials,tribulations and triumph so that other women facing this problem will know that they are not alone.

Sophia H. Garrett earned her medical degree abroad and settled in Sacramento, California to accept a position as a staff psychiatrist at the Sacramento Park Medical Center in 1995. She demonstrates her skills as a psychiatrist and willingness to work hard from the beginning and is accordingly appointed temporary Acting Chief of Psychiatry. Garrett finds joy and fulfillment in her position, but her good fortune does not last long. During her tenure as Acting Chief, a new doctor, Dr. Sariva, arrives at the Medical Center. From the outset Dr. Sariva demonstrates hostility and a mean temper towards Garrett, despite his cordiality with several other (male) colleagues. Soon, the hospital undergoes changes in administration, resulting in Dr. Sariva’s promotion above Garrett. For the next 10 years, Garrett continues to work extra hard and carry a heavier workload than the other (male) psychiatrists on staff, yet Dr. Sariva continuously berates and insults her. Working under these harsh conditions causes her self-esteem and confidence in her medical skills to plummet, despite a good record with patient care. Eventually, though, Garret is able to take control of the matter into her own hands.

While the story revolves around highly educated individuals in a professional setting, I think that the basic patterns in the coworkers’ relationships and interactions may be relevant across many different fields. Garrett knows that she must be calm and collected when she is screamed at by a belligerent male boss. She puts in extra hours and far surpasses the amount of work done by her male coworkers, but is never recognized for it. Her salary suffers, her reputation suffers, her own health and professional relationships suffer. Many women fall into similar traps, both in and out of the workplace. Very few people will outright say “I am mistreating you because you are a woman,” so it can sometimes take years to find a resolution. By the end, Garrett is able to prove her case using documented hard facts and eyewitnesses.

The book is short and is evenly paced to allow for a quick read. The tone of the narration is calm and smooth. It is easy to slip into sounding whiny or over-reactive when presenting a problem like this, but Garrett handles her expression masterfully. The facts and her own reaction to each situation are presented, but the details do not weigh down the storytelling process. I never felt confused or lost; the progression over the years is easy to follow. I found no spelling errors or grammar mistakes, though there were a couple of instances where the page formatting was slightly off (such as a paragraph break in the middle of a sentence).

To be honest, as a young woman myself pursuing a similar STEM career, encountering a situation like this is a nightmare for me. Reading this book was like listening to a friend spill her woes. I was fully engrossed in the story; I became angry and relieved at each turn of fortune for author. The story is very personal and I’m sure many women could relate to it at some point in their lives, though this is perhaps an extreme case of gender discrimination. I’m glad that advice is given at the end of the book in case the reader ever finds herself in a similar hostile work environment. I recommend this book to women who find themselves in sexist working conditions to know that they are not alone, or to others to understand that gender discrimination still exists. I give Discrimination and Harassment One woman's personal story of trials,tribulations and triumph 4 out of 4 stars!

Discrimination and Harassment One woman's personal story of trials,tribulations and triumph
View: on Bookshelves

Like gaporter's review? Post a comment saying so!
Yemoteley
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zak.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Yemoteley »

Although I haven't read the book yet, I feel well informed and I believe Discrimination and Harassment One woman's personal story of trials,tribulations and triumph is something I would love to read considering the fact I am a big fan of nonfiction works and also knowing that it is almost near to perfect in terms of grammatical errors among other things.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a pretty good book. It's hard to believe that discrimination towards women (and others for that matter) still exists today, but it does. It's too bad. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I think that this book should be a textbook material for all heads of organizations, both male and female. Sometimes even women supervisors also suppress women working under them. In the same way, female bosses sometimes mistreat their male subordinates. The issue of workplace suppression is pervasive, but women suffer the most, as in the case of the author. I really empathize with her, and I hope she got justice in the long term. But imagine how much she suffered all those years. This calls for policies to fully address workplace harassments. This has been a very good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Lidiyaselvam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lidiyaselvam »

Well,I totally agree with it. Discrimination and harassment still exists. I really like this book. As a matter of fact,this is what happening in the world and its a good book to bring changes in the society.Everyone should read this book and similar ones to realize what they are doing and what they are going through.Thank you.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Thank you for the review, and I guess thank you to the author for telling us her story. We've come a long way, but still have a way to go towards changing attitudes in the work place.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Eva Jemo Agoi

Post by Eva Jemo Agoi »

This book relates to our day to day activities. Many women struggle in life trying to make the best of their life but somewhere on the way something pulls them down.The book is an encouragement to women who want to go far in life. Pushing on is a must .

-- 26 Jun 2017, 17:36 --

women so remain focused and soldier on towards meeting our goals
Jerones

Post by Jerones »

Very glnice and informative book, i feel like reading this book again, interesting.
iguda_
Currently Reading: Heaven's Magic Bubble Machine
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by iguda_ »

Very touching story, the issue of gender inequality is really affecting many women in the most powerful organization or even in some homes.

I Wish a book like this will be available in various organizations.
A big thanks to the author.
Dwambo

Post by Dwambo »

The book is basically bringing out the position of a woman and how they are discriminated against. Very educative and informative. We should allow women to fly as high as they could .
Jamesbond007jr
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker

Post by Jamesbond007jr »

This book is very good, we should give chance to all woman to become what they want to be.
Maxine Shilima
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Maxine Shilima »

Re:Official Review:Discrimination and Harrassment one woman
This book is just awesome its so unbelievable that at this age and era women are still discriminated.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! I have 5 sisters and I totally agree that women should be given their rights!
Harrahvee
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Harrahvee »

it is very interesting book.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Thank you for your informative review. I definitely think women and those who employ women should read this book as it points out how insidious discrimination is, and how to handle it should one find themselves in such a position. Definitely one to keep on the shelf.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”