Official Review: Pearadigm Shift by JK Purdy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Pearadigm Shift by JK Purdy

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pearadigm Shift" by JK Purdy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

JK Purdy’s Pearadigm Shift (yes, Pearadigm…it’s not a typo) focuses on a woman who is at a crossroads in her life. It can be categorized in the General Fiction genre. After Jenna’s “perfect” marriage implodes, she decides to drive from Denver to California to re-group and visit an acquaintance. Along the way, she gets stranded in Backwater, a small town in Idaho. As her spirit slowly rejuvenates, Jenna learns of a possible corruption scandal involving the local government.

The book gets off to an uninspiring start with an all-too-typical theme in the chick lit genre – a happy marriage that is ripped apart by infidelity. The main character finds her husband Ethan in bed with her best friend Lyndsey, although the red flags pop up shortly before the discovery.

Pretty much every plotline in the early sections of the story feels rushed. When they arrive home from a vacation, Ethan surprises Jenna with a townhouse he bought for them; she responds by immediately fleeing to her best friend’s apartment to stay overnight. After discovering her husband’s unfaithfulness, she quickly packs her bags and begins driving to California, without any thought of an impending project deadline or even calling her boss. The California destination is also an impulsive decision - Jenna has always wanted to visit the state and knows an acquaintance there. My eyes were rolling as I read this passage, particularly considering she was bringing her dog along.

Fortunately, I enjoyed the story once the setting changes to Backwater. The vivid descriptions made me feel as if I was transported to this tiny town of friendly people and community gatherings. The locals are well drawn with interesting backstories. I particularly liked Marci, the coffee shop owner/history buff who gives the coffee drinks unique names based on historical events. In contrast, the Denver characters feel one-dimensional. Ethan and Lyndsey’s affair seems like it came out of nowhere. It is an awkward plot device designed to get our plucky Jenna on the road, as opposed to a romance or even lust that had been simmering for a while.

Although the book is generally well written, there are at least five noticeable errors, including missing words – for example, “he also Jenna to work with him” and “it will a few days.” An extra round of editing was needed here.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the aforementioned issues, I became absorbed in the story after the beginning chapters. Most of the characters are interesting and relatable, and I absolutely loved the setting. I would recommend this story to readers who enjoy chick-lit and light beach-style reads. The good news is that the author plans to write another book set in Backwater.

Pearadigm Shift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A possible corruption, betrayal, life lessons and a plucky heroine? Sounds interesting. Too bad about the uninspiring start and the other issues, though. I don't think it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed after the slow start.
Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! The book turned out to be more interesting than I expected.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that the beginning is so rushed, however I'm glad you enjoyed it once you were past that. It doesn't sound like something I would enjoy, but I appreciated reading your review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Brown ogbuwa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brown ogbuwa »

It is a nice books but The beginning was not well explained or stated
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kandscreeley wrote:It's too bad that the beginning is so rushed, however I'm glad you enjoyed it once you were past that. It doesn't sound like something I would enjoy, but I appreciated reading your review. Thanks.
Thanks Kandscreeley. I was surprised that I wound up liking the book so much, since the beginning plot points were so abrupt that my head was spinning.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

So what does the 'Pearadigm' mean? Was it explained in the book, or is it the name of someone or a place? Marital infidelity is all too often the theme for stories, like this one. I hope there was a happy ending for Jenna after her betrayal by her husband and best friend. Thanks for a good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kina.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B009W9AEOM

Post by kina »

I have to admit the title drew me to this review and the book. It's an unusual pun, though I wonder how it actually relates to the plot? I do hope there's more to Jenna, her husband, and friend and it doesn't end on a typical chick lit route of them "getting what's coming" without any real resolution between Jenna and them. The corruption scandal in the local government sounds interesting, so I hope that plays a larger role and isn't just background for some romance in the town Jenna ends up in. Besides that, it sounds like a good, quick read and I might check it out anyway.
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

wow, nice review. The author was very creative with that pearadigm picture.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

John Cand wrote:wow, nice review. The author was very creative with that pearadigm picture.
I have to agree with John. This is a really great review and the Pearadigm is very eye catching.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:So what does the 'Pearadigm' mean? Was it explained in the book, or is it the name of someone or a place? Marital infidelity is all too often the theme for stories, like this one. I hope there was a happy ending for Jenna after her betrayal by her husband and best friend. Thanks for a good review.
I don't want to give too much away, but there is a backstory involving a pear at a supporting character's farm. The author appears to have used this word to create a clever play on words to reflect Jenna's life changing during the story.

-- 16 Jun 2017, 21:18 --
kina wrote:I have to admit the title drew me to this review and the book. It's an unusual pun, though I wonder how it actually relates to the plot? I do hope there's more to Jenna, her husband, and friend and it doesn't end on a typical chick lit route of them "getting what's coming" without any real resolution between Jenna and them. The corruption scandal in the local government sounds interesting, so I hope that plays a larger role and isn't just background for some romance in the town Jenna ends up in. Besides that, it sounds like a good, quick read and I might check it out anyway.
Actually, the romance angle becomes less important as the story progresses.

-- 16 Jun 2017, 21:24 --

Thanks John Cand and Jaime Lync for the feedback. The interesting title and cover is what initially drew me to the book.
binnaomi

Post by binnaomi »

other than the omission and a rushy start the author is witty and creative
realwriter
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by realwriter »

i enjoy such genres. i think the book is okay, however, the author should be a bit more careful not to rush so much, i recommend taking the readers step by step,
Echereodo victor

Post by Echereodo victor »

Nice and creative write up.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thanks for giving us a clue on what pearadigm means without giving away too much. Nice review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”