Official Review: Fiery, First Light by Teresa B Heaton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Fiery, First Light by Teresa B Heaton

Post by Mollymae »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fiery, First Light" by Teresa B Heaton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fiery, First Light is the third in a series of books about some very special young people. The author, Teresa B. Heaton, introduces a cast of characters that are each born with a particular gift. Their mission is to use their talents in order to help others in times of crisis. They are called COLLEEs (Children-of-Light-Light-Emitting-Entities) and they each offer some creative and interesting supernatural powers. COLLEEs can also communicate with each other through telepathy making for some intriguing conversation.

The story follows a group, or Cluster, of young adults that have been learning and working together for many years. This Cluster includes Sam, Gus, Dani, Arie, and Zee. As friends, they tease their way through romantic entanglements and social engagements in a fun, lighthearted manner that is very engaging.

The plot takes an interesting twist when the Cluster is tasked with mentoring a group of troubled youngsters that are unaware of their own identities as COLLEEs. These children have suffered significantly in their young lives. Yet as the children feel love and acceptance they begin to grow confident and happy. It was my favorite part of the book to see how these characters were developed.

The good versus evil theme is reinforced with the introduction of an obsessed professor intent on stalking and capturing the female characters. The subplot unfolds with suspense and near misses as his attempts are thwarted time and again. Another young woman, named Calli, is also on the run from the professor though there is not much background offered. She appears to be a tough, gritty character that adds some depth and as a reader I would have liked to know more about her. Chantry is introduced and makes occasional appearances throughout the book. He is referred to as a Dark COLLEE without explanation, at least in this volume, as to the difference or if he has gifts as well.

As mentioned above, Fiery, First Light is the third in a series. Without having read the initial two works, it was somewhat confusing to grasp the background and relationships of the extensive cast of characters. I did like that the book was appropriate for young adult readers. I found it refreshing that the author did not feel compelled to include sexual encounters, violence, or profanity. I also found the storyline of young people using their talents to help others appealing. Unfortunately, there were numerous editing errors and so I rated this book at 3 out of 4 stars. It was a delightful book that I am sure many would enjoy reading.

Fiery, First Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mollymae's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This sounds like a very interesting fiction book to read and i find the story line quite unique. This will make a nice read for young readers. Thank you for your review.
Mollymae

Post by Mollymae »

It is totally appropriate for young readers. I think many will enjoy it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a very nice book and a good series. I think I would definitely want to start from the beginning with this one, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mollymae

Post by Mollymae »

I do believe that would make the book more enjoyable.

-- 29 Jun 2017, 08:24 --

-- 29 Jun 2017, 08:24 --

Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

It's very difficult to find a "clean" book nowadays. It's refreshing when a book has no profanity, violence or sexual encounters, especially one about youngsters. Thank you for your review Molly :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Mollymae

Post by Mollymae »

I couldn't agree more, I am so tired of sex and violence in every book you pick up.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Well COLLEEs is a very unique and refreshing name. I would give this book a try.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”