Official Review: Ketchup in my Veins by Robert C. Devine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Official Review: Ketchup in my Veins by Robert C. Devine

Post by Natalie Charlene »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ketchup in my Veins" by Robert C. Devine.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chances are that at some point in your life you have been to a McDonalds. You have been there to eat, taken your children to play, and perhaps even worked there after school, but few know what it’s like being behind the scenes in the McDonalds Corporation. In his memoir, Ketchup in My Veins, Robert C. Devine gives readers a glimpse of the mysterious world behind the Golden Arches.

After graduation, a stint in the Navy, and a few different jobs, Devine landed his first job with McDonalds as an Operations Trainee. From there, he progressed rather rapidly up the ranks, working various jobs from managing and consulting to opening stores and international operations, before leaving the corporate life, buying his own store, and becoming a licensee. Ketchup in My Veins is the story of his journey, the experiences he had, and the people he met along the way.

Truth be told, I have never been a big fan of McDonalds, but this book changed the way I look at the extremely successful corporation. Devine began his career with the company in the 60s, before McDonalds had really taken off and grown to what we see today. I have always thought of McDonalds as a corporate machine turning out unhealthy, processed foods and paying low-level workers minimum wage, but after reading Ketchup in My Veins, I have developed a new respect for this fast-food chain and its climb to the top. Also, as an individual with little to no business knowledge, this book provided me with insight into business practices and the complexity of developing and running an international corporation.

I rate Ketchup in My Veins 2 out of 4 stars. This book taught me many things I did not know, and it showed me a different perspective of corporate giants. However, the book was clearly biased, which is understandable given Devine’s satisfaction and success working with the McDonalds Corporation. Most of the information was quite interesting, filled with life lessons and personal anecdotes, but the writing itself was a little dry at times, and it needs a thorough proofread, as the book contains many patches of clumsy wording and grammar, spelling, and structure errors. Also, the format of the eBook was inconvenient, showing two pages at a time, so the reader has to zoom in and scroll in order to see the text well if they are using an e-reader.

I am glad that I read Ketchup in My Veins. It changed my way of thinking and made me consider an opposing side from what I am used to. I would recommend this book to all types of readers, but especially to those who enjoy memoirs and business-related books. However, I would caution that, while it does provide an interesting perspective and is worth the read, it is quite biased.

Ketchup in my Veins
View: on Bookshelves

Like Natalie Charlene's review? Post a comment saying so!
Boniface Kyulu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Boniface Kyulu »

Not interesting
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It would definitely be interesting to see behind the scenes. I have fond memories of McDonald's growing up (not so much now.) The two pages at a time would be inconvenient especially if the font was small. However, that can be fixed. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review, particularly since I had considered selecting this review book recently. I also don't like the two-page e-format. The book sounds interesting, although I would be frustrated by the frequent errors and awkward working.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I've always also thought its a huge franchise that gives little back to its employees... Ignorant me! I would love to read this book. Thanks for the great review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

your review is wonderful and this book sounds promising. Like many others, i've always been of the opinion that McDonalds made their profit out of selling unhealthy food while paying their workers minimum wages. I'd like to read this book and get someone else's point of view
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

It seems like an okay book apart from the issues you've mentioned, great job wit the review.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”