Featured Review: Southern Fried Stories by Deuce Dalton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Re: Featured Review: Southern Fried Stories by Deuce Dalton

Post by dhomespot »

I love when an author gets it just right. Being from the South is sometimes a unique experience, and this author knows how to tell the story. Great job on your review.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Erics Mujivane
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Erics Mujivane »

Southern Fried Stories is a remindful set of experiences written by Deuce Daulton. The story is written in a quick and pleasant style. One can easily go by assumptions that the book is a set of narratives written categorically but it revolves around experiences of Dauce.

In South Georgia, where Deuce grew up the tea was extra sweet and all the food was deep fried and all that could be heard was, "bless your heart". Dauce's stories alternate between his family, his dating experiences, school life, travel, religion, and enlisting in the military. His comical revelations are laughable, funny and brutally honest.

As a young boy in southern Kentucky, the stories seems familiar because he depicts them in a way that you simply cannot make up, and everything feels genuine while reading. This happens to come a time where Deuce’s family first got more than one channel on TV, and just so happened that they had to attend church service at the same time. The chain of events that followed were truly comical with Deuce hoping to be home in time to catch a local celebrity on TV and wishing the pastor would just hurry up already. The service seemed to be moving as expected until Deuce’s brother “heard Jesus” and they are forced to delay.

The set ends strongly, leaving one wondering what Deuce was up to now. Being a frequent traveller, he must have wrote even more delightful stories to keep us laughing :lol: :lol: all through. Story is more intersting, I can read it over and over again.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

A quick Southern setting could be just what I needed to get away from my current situation. Nice review! I look forward to sampling this.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Beatrice Githinji
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Beatrice Githinji »

I love historical fiction, am from a different country I could see a clear picture of the southern back in the 50's. Though it was short but I really enjoyed it.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I love all of your reviews, I love stories like this one. The sample was good. I’m a Texas girl, and I've always loved stories about the deep south. We came late to the party, but we're here now!
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

This sounds like a must be read book. A story about his life give inspiration to readers, especially that he told all his fun experiences in this book. Congrats on a well written review!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Danest
Currently Reading: Southern Fried Stories
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Danest »

The story reminds me of my child hood Experience... And how my chances of getting what I want were ruined by others always... The review is simple and arouses interest to the reader... I liked it
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Sounds hilarious - the story about the deep fried frogs legs had me gagging a little bit though!
andrewchelanga
Currently Reading: Border Post 99
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by andrewchelanga »

It is a great book to read. The geographical setup of southern states and the story of a genius Wiz is quite interesting. I really want to read it again.
Texas_Jazz2016
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7394">Into the Fire</a>
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-texas-jazz2016.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Texas_Jazz2016 »

What a great review. I thoroughly enjoyed the sample I read. The story telling reminded me of some of my Dad's and grandfather's stories. I guess every town and state have their own stories, which coming from a time we only hear about, makes it more interesting.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one. George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
xatu

Post by xatu »

the book is great though a'm not from the states.Always love to love new cultures.sooo adictive
NewJack

Post by NewJack »

:tiphat: :techie-studyinggray: I liked it, stories shared were fairly detailed on the living situation in the south, in from New Jersey and I can say it is true when most people in the east deside to retire.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

Thank you for that wonderful review. I always love a book that can get me to laugh so this is a must read for me.
Fakayode Temitope

Post by Fakayode Temitope »

I can't relate with the book.
It's sounds as if the book may not be interesting to read.
Thanks for the review.

-- 03 Jul 2017, 00:30 --

Although, I don't live in USA. But I can feel the passion of the writer towards the effect of her environment on her way of life. It's touching.
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

It sounds like a light book with a good humor. Just what I like! :D
Thanks for review!
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”