Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Good Tidings by Daniel Burnette

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Good Tidings by Daniel Burnette

Post Number:#1 by Scerakor
» 31 May 2017, 08:38

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Good Tidings" by Daniel Burnette.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by Scerakor
Share This Review

Things may not always be as they seem, events may not always have taken place how they were written down, and the power of perception over reality is a powerful thing. These are just a few of the themes found in this comedy / satire entitled Good Tidings by Daniel Burnette. I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book was very well written and it expertly took a well-known story, gave it an original twist, and served up a healthy portion of food for thought. There were times, however, where the way the book's set up confused me and ultimately held me back from giving it a perfect score.

On a remote planet called Terra, a mysterious book is found that tells the tale of divine powers. This religion spreads like wildfire and threatens the way of life as the Terran Empire knows it. Our novel generally follows the story of our protagonist, Joshua Chris (or a name that sounded vaguely similar) who was prophesized in this divine finding, as the various characters and factions on Terra try to use him, his fame, and his potential power to advance their own agendas.

Good Tidings makes no effort to hide the fact that the book is blatantly based on the New Testament, the activities of Jesus Christ, and those around him. From the Terran representative of the Empire (the prefect Phillip Pilatus), to the leader of a religious sect (Juan the Baptist), and even to a female companion sent to accompany Joshua Chris (Magda), character names are kept flagrantly similar. As Joshua Chris and his entourage carry out their adventures, you can easily see that there is more going on behind the scenes that meets the eye; The Empire is pulling all sorts of strings. Burnette expertly uses the powers of perception to satirically challenge the biblical story (or any story really) as we know it.

I really love how the author weaves the New Testament’s tales into this slightly futuristic setting and succeeds in making you think hard about how easily human beings take stories at face value. He takes the (very normal) character of Joshua Chris and tosses him into a situation where everything he does (and many things that he doesn’t even do) can be misconstrued as miraculous even though reality is significantly more mundane. What I liked the best was the dry/intelligent humour presented in this book and how Burnette uses literary Kung-Fu to add a satirical feel to the book, reminiscent of Christopher Moore or Terry Pratchett?.

There were times, however, where the comparisons with either the characters or the stories from the New Testament, were a bit forced. It seemed like the need to find creative, but similar, names or situations from the biblical ones took away from the flow of the story. What I disliked the most was how the book was situated in time. It was set in the future but I really couldn’t stop my mind from wandering and picturing all of this happening in biblical times.

Despite either of the points above, I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a good satirical comedy. Anyone who is easily insulted if their religion is questioned, even in fiction works, should likely stay away from this book.

Good Tidings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Scerakor's Latest Review: "Life of a Guardian" by William Benson
Scerakor

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 63%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Good Tidings by Daniel Burnette

Post Number:#2 by Jaime Lync
» 04 Jun 2017, 12:27

This sounds quite intriguing. I think that I too would always seem to want to place this story in biblical days, Great review.
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 375%

Post Number:#3 by MarisaRose
» 05 Jun 2017, 13:16

This one definitely doesn't sound like anything I've ever read before. But I think the blatant reference to biblical characters and stories may be a bit off putting for me. Interesting review, thanks.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Unbalanced" by Courtney Shepard
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 184%

Post Number:#4 by Unyct19
» 05 Jun 2017, 15:36

Exclusive taught
Unyct19

Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 21 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by Spirit Wandering
» 05 Jun 2017, 19:12

Satire isn't normally my cup of tea but it does sound like this one is particularly clever, especially given the comparison to Terry Pratchett. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Spirit Wandering's Latest Review: "The Chronicles of Teng" by Anthony Kee
Spirit Wandering

Favorite Book: Sebastian
Currently Reading: Acheron
Bookshelf Size: 58 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by Scerakor
» 07 Jun 2017, 06:14

MarisaRose wrote:This one definitely doesn't sound like anything I've ever read before. But I think the blatant reference to biblical characters and stories may be a bit off putting for me. Interesting review, thanks.

It's a little more than blatant reference, it is completely based on the New Testament and Jesus growing up/preaching. It's done in a tasteful manner (I feel) and isn't insulting to anyone by any means. Thanks for the comment.

-- 07 Jun 2017, 07:17 --

Spirit Wandering wrote:Satire isn't normally my cup of tea but it does sound like this one is particularly clever, especially given the comparison to Terry Pratchett. Thanks for the review.

It definitely was the same type of humor that Terry Pratchett tends to use. The "matter-of-factly" stated point which we, as the reader, know is ridiculous, but never occurs to the characters themselves. Thanks for the comment.
Scerakor

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by kchnsa
» 07 Jun 2017, 13:35

"Things may not always be as they seem, events may not always have taken place how they were written down, and the power of perception over reality is a powerful thing." - I really like this.
kchnsa

Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 6 books

Post Number:#8 by Scerakor
» 07 Jun 2017, 13:38

kchnsa wrote:"Things may not always be as they seem, events may not always have taken place how they were written down, and the power of perception over reality is a powerful thing." - I really like this.

Thanks! It is not only a decent description of the book but something to keep in mind in our everyday lives when dealing with "history".
Scerakor

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by Rosemary Okoko
» 17 Jun 2017, 08:31

I would love to read this one. Thanks for the review.
Rosemary Okoko's Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Rosemary Okoko

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 30%