Official Review: Poet Of The Wrong Generation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Poet Of The Wrong Generation

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poet Of The Wrong Generation" by Lonnie Ostrow.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poet of the Wrong Generation by Lonnie Ostrow is classified as Other Fiction and is a story about love, fame, music and heartache.

Set in New York in the 90’s it follows the story of Johnny, a young and talented poet. Johnny and Megan are college sweethearts and have been together for years. Even though they are from very different backgrounds they are caught up in their love for each other and think nothing can come between them. Megan’s mother, Katherine, is a power hungry, image conscious head of a wealthy PR company. She is convinced that Johnny is not the right person for Megan and interferes in every way possible. With low confidence and limited options, Megan is helpless to stand up to her overbearing mother.

After Johnny suddenly experiences heartache for the first time, his grief finds an outlet in song writing. His new friend, Howard, sees the potential in Johnny and takes it on himself to make him a rock star. Will fame be enough for Johnny and will he ever find love again or will it elude him forever?

Wonderfully written in third person, this book caught me completely by surprise and I ended up reading it all in one sitting. The story is fast paced and is packed with original song lyrics (you can even listen to some of the songs on YouTube) that are both vivid and moving. Even though the story is set in the 90’s, the songs could very well capture the hearts of this generation in today’s political climate with lyrics such as “Our future is fading, stop observing, start participating” and “Now where are our leaders we elect? Must our children be exposed to hatred?” My personal favourite was the line “Tell me why must we fight each other when our shadows are the same color?”

The character of Johnny is both realistic and three-dimensional. A good kid from a tough background who is getting a chance of a lifetime. There’s a purity and innocence to him as he remains relatively unaffected by his life changes and never forgets where he comes from. The secondary characters of Johnny’s friends Andy and Jacqui provide a reassuring continuity throughout the story, while Howard’s character is almost hinting at what Johnny’s future could become if things go wrong. The character of Megan I alternatively liked and felt frustrated with. I sometimes wanted to shout at her through the pages to just stand up to her mother for once.

Although the story is about two star crossed lovers, it is also predominantly a story about music, good music, and how it can touch millions of people as well as provide a soundtrack for a whole generation. Several times in the book it mentioned that there is a lack of quality music present in the industry. This is a very real thing as so many pop or rock stars are all about the image rather than the music itself.

The only criticism I had was that I found one or two places where the speech marks were missing and once when a word was cut out, however, this could be the fault of my device. It in no way changed the pace or quality of the story and was easy to ignore.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. An excellent story about the strength of love, friendship, and above all, the power of music. I recommend this book to anyone who likes a love story, but especially to those who enjoy poetry, can appreciate well written lyrics and have a love for music.

Poet Of The Wrong Generation
View: on Bookshelves

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I think we have all had the experience of wanting to shout at a character when their behavior is frustrating. Great review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I love love awesome music so this seems to be for me. Great review
baley
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2633">The Boy who Lived with Ghosts</a>
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by baley »

It's a wonderful poem. It generalizations caught a lot of pictures being discussed
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This will make a nice read for me. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”