Official Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fictions Mistress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictions-mistress.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Official Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by Fictions Mistress »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Good Boy" by Anthony Andre.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading A Good Boy. I was a little hesitant, worried that the book would feel extremely preachy and give the wrong messages. But I went in with as open a mind as I could, and I am so glad that I did. A Good Boy is an uplifting and powerful story with strong, modern messages that the world needs to hear.

On a journey of self-discovery and recovery, Wesley Aames finds himself in the small town of Asheville, North Carolina. As the new pastor at a dying church, Wesley must quickly adjust to his new surroundings while finding the best way to lead his church into brighter days. But everything changes when a local teenager commits suicide. The church is more divided than ever before, and Wesley has tough decisions to make. Faced with confronting his own faith, can he be the pastor this church needs and rally the people together? Or is it doomed to fail?

What struck me most about this book was how accepting it was. I felt no messages of hate or discrimination. In fact, it was quite the opposite! Andre writes from a place of love and honesty, and that shines through on every page. God, and religion in general, is not about fear. As Wesley says, "Faith in Jesus is liberating. More freedom - not more rules, and definitely not more fear. We are liberated to love completely,
totally, and passionately. And how do I know this? Because that is how Jesus loved."

Even a book with the best themes can be ruined by a failing protagonist. Luckily, that is not the case with A Good Boy. Wesley Aames is not your average preacher, and this is something other characters are quick to draw attention to! He sometimes has a beer with dinner, he swears, and his views are incredibly modern and open. He understands that religion is not about hate, and that it should never be. Wesley is an easily likable character because he walks the walk. He proves multiple times his acceptance of all people, and he believes this is how God works. Wesley has his flaws, but he is aware of them and works to improve. Not once does he act righteous. This is one of the many things that made the story so enjoyable.

A Good Boy deals with many controversial issues. Sexuality, unhealthy relationships, and suicide, to name a few. But Andre handles these with great care. He is able to tap into these emotions in an honest way without assuming too much, staying clear of generalizations. Andre has a true talent for delving into the views of many different characters from many different backgrounds. Each feels as believably real as the last, each with their own specific flair. The depth Andre puts into each of his character is nothing short of beautiful.

Many people hate religion. There are a few reasons for this. One, extremism in any form is bad. Two, many religious people are quick to condemn and judge others, while claiming to be accepting and righteous. No one likes a hypocrite, but hypocrisy is something you cannot find in this tale. A Good Boy does not once feel preachy, but it shares the message that religion can no longer be something only practiced when convenient.

Wesley says, "We should become a church that embodies the gospel as a truth. Not a truth that is
forgotten on Monday morning, nor a truth that uses fear to bludgeon people into submission but
a truth that is joyful and life-affirming. A truth that recognizes the mystery and beauty of life, a
truth that transforms this church into a family, a truth that takes our faith and molds us into a
community of its own." Give love, and love is what you shall receive. It is a fantastic message, and one incredibly important for society to hear right now.

I absolutely adored this book. And the only thing stopping me from giving this story 4 out of 4 stars is its unfortunate habit of typos. They are small, but noticeable and distracting. With a little more care during editing, these could easily have been avoided. That being said, I have no other criticisms, which is why I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. An uplifting and truthful tale that I recommend to all book lovers out there, religious or otherwise. This book gives a refreshing perspective that many can appreciate.

A Good Boy
View: on Bookshelves

Like Fictions Mistress's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can only imagine that a death of a teenager would change the dynamics in a small church. Being a new pastor in that situation would not be fun. Thanks for the review on this one and for going in with an open mind.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sSuUbBhH
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sSuUbBhH »

ya its a nice book
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like interesting books with unique perspectives. This sounds like a book that I could really dive into!

Great Review!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Joy-Nicholas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joy-Nicholas »

Very interesting I learn so much from this book.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds like an awesome book. Great review.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book. Like you, I'm not into 'preachy' books and this sounds like something I would genuinely enjoy. Too bad, though, about the typos. Typos can mess up a good book big time. Good job on the review.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I'm not into books that seem "preachy" and this review has made it seem that it's not like that, and is very positive. I might try reading this one.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds like a Good Book with a the right message,
great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Good boy, good pastor. Anthony Andre's protagonist, Wesley Aames has the formidable task to pastor and revive a dying church. To succeed in this new role, he must make some tough choices - stand for the truth and be a good example.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”