Official Review: A Home from Home by Susan Barrett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Official Review: A Home from Home by Susan Barrett

Post by bruin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Home from Home" by Susan Barrett.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Home from Home is a witty and heartwarming fiction novel by Susan Barrett. Stoneycrest is an expensive nursing home in London owned by Spiro, a wealthy man who buys and sells property just because he can. He did not seek to invest in a nursing home or have the desire to manage senior residents, he just bought it on a whim and frequently wonders why he hasn’t sold it yet. He assigns Marion, his business partner, to deal with Stoneycrest so that he only has to check in on it once in a while.

Edith has resided at Stoneycrest the longest and has naturally attained the role as the liaison between the residents and the staff. She alerts Marion that her bracelet is missing and insists that the police need to be called to investigate a thief among the residents. Marion begins to doubt Edith’s mental state in her old age. Marion is afraid to alert the police to visit with the subpar conditions that she has let the nursing home become, and decides instead to drag Spiro in for damage control.

Each character who work and live at Stoneycrest are humorously described. When they make their way into the story, side stories of their pasts are revealed. As Barrett described everyone’s appearance and senior personalities, she would flashback to their past, revealing pivotal life moments which added depth to each character. You begin to understand each character as you learn more about who they used to be before they got to the point of living the rest of their lives in a nursing home. Most of the novel jumps around from Edith’s memories of childhood abandonment, to her active love life, and to the loved ones she buried. These heartwarming and sad moments were quickly lightened up when the story would return to the humorous events that were occurring at the nursing home.

Barrett creatively engages you, with the characters, to ponder about the different relationships in your life. A Home from Home is not only about the surface story of solving a crime in a prestigious nursing home, but it is also a story to bring to light the different people in your life who you may have taken for granted. It is a humorous tale full of anecdotes about old age, and also a heartwarming story about living a fulfilled life.

I gave this book a 3 out of 4 because of some misspelled words. It was easy to figure out the word because only one letter would be left out, so it did not interfere with the flow of the novel. I would recommend this book to those interested in fiction novels with a focus on a senior age group. It is also enjoyable for those who enjoy biographies because of how much of Edith’s past is revealed as you get to know her in her old age. It is a short novel, around 200 pages on my standard sized e-reader, and is fast paced. At times, I got lost when the story would jump between characters and time periods, but it was easy to get back on track once I would re-read a few lines. I was not initially interested in reading a story about senior citizens, but the frequent flashbacks throughout the story kept me engaged in the characters.

A Home from Home
View: on Bookshelves

Like bruin's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like an overall interesting story. I don't know if it would capture my attention, but I appreciate the review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bruin

Post by bruin »

Thanks and you're welcome!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I know that nursing homes are subject to strict control, and inspected from time to time. Noncompliance results in withdrawal of license and closure. So how come the one in the story could be left in a bad shape? Kudos for a nice review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I like how this book is not only about solving a crime in a nursing home, but it also causes you to think about the different relationships in your life. I like to read books that make you wonder about your own life while reading the book. I think this would be a great read for me.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds like a story with some great character development. Especially since there is a lot of back stories and flashbacks throughout the novel. This might be an enjoyable read.

Great Review!?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
bruin

Post by bruin »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:I know that nursing homes are subject to strict control, and inspected from time to time. Noncompliance results in withdrawal of license and closure. So how come the one in the story could be left in a bad shape? Kudos for a nice review.
Great observation! I thought about this while I reading it. It started to make more sense as I read on. I did not want to reveal too much about this issue because I felt that it was an important part of the story that I didn't want to spoil. Thanks!

-- 22 May 2017, 14:25 --
Amagine wrote:It sounds like a story with some great character development. Especially since there is a lot of back stories and flashbacks throughout the novel. This might be an enjoyable read.

Great Review!?
Thanks! The flashbacks were my favorite part. I ended up thinking about what would really matter to me when I start thinking about future plans.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

This sounds a bit like Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont to me. I enjoy reading about aging characters and this sounds like a well-written book. Thanks for reviewing it!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Ah, nice one. I hope that this would inspire not just me but many people to do more than what they can. Great review!
Ganiyat Bello
Currently Reading: The Vampire Gaytooth
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ganiyat-bello.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by Ganiyat Bello »

I love books that triggers the reader to think about their own life while reading. I think I will enjoy this. Great review.

-- 26 Nov 2017, 07:18 --

I love books that triggers the reader to think about their own life while reading. I think I will enjoy this. Great review.
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I was triggered why Spiro did not sell Stoneycrest. He buys and sells property but why kept Stoneycrest?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A witty story about senior citizens that takes place in the course of one day? Sounds quite the read. Not sure it is for me, but I an glad you enjoyed it despite the misspelled words. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kenkomercy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenkomercy.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by kenkomercy »

Stories of senior citizens always teach a lesson or two. Happy to know this one is particularly humorous. Sure I 'll have a great read. Thanks for your beautiful review.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

The book sounds like a suspense read. It has a bit of suspense in the section where the necklace goes missing and the police are called to find out who stole it. Thanks for a straight-forward and well-written review.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Interesting that the book goes beyond just being about solving a crime case at a nursing home. I enjoy books that are also humorous and those where interpersonal relationships are important, and from the review, I guess you do too.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”