Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Ice Cold by Taylor Caley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Ice Cold by Taylor Caley

Post Number:#1 by Acwoolet
» 15 May 2017, 13:04

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ice Cold" by Taylor Caley.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by Acwoolet
Share This Review

Ice Cold, Part One: The Dark Zone is a fantasy novel written by Taylor Caley, where there is definitely more to the inhabitants of this Earth than meets the eye. Unbeknownst to those who live a in a fairly normal 2010, there is a whole tribe of people who live in the surrounding mountains that are quite happily trapped in their own world away from society. However, when this tribe of people begin to realize that their lives are in mortal danger, they discover that they are up against more than they can handle.

For generations the Ravennites, children of the lost Seluitah tribe and refugees of the Old World live in peace together away from the wilds of society. However, growing tension between them and a group of people who also inhabit their mountains changes how they look at their own existence. When Alex Lee, a young teen from the outside world accidently stumbles upon their tribe, the Ravennites begin to recognize him as someone who could help win the war against their greatest enemies. These actions set Alex on a path that he would never have imagined in his wildest dreams.

The premise of Ice Cold was incredibly fascinating; to have a tribe of people living mere miles away from a normal 21st century existence whose people haven’t any clue of their presence is fairly mind-blowing. The mix of ideals and religions that the Ravennites possess is very interesting and would definitely benefit from further exploration within future novels. Within all of this is an exciting coming of age story that would be beneficial for young teens to discover for themselves.

While the premise of this story was very interesting, I unfortunately found myself having a very hard time actually getting into it. While Alex’s character had some decent character development, the rest of the characters seemed to lack the depth that he possessed, and felt fairly one-dimensional. The descriptions of the landscape were definitely the most detailed, I felt as if I were in the mountains of the Ravennites and could see myself amongst the trees. Regrettably, those descriptions didn’t make up for the fact that the dialogue fell pretty flat. Throughout the first half of the novel, I ended up a little confused as to who was talking because all of the characters seemed to posses the same narrative voice. Although this did change a little towards the end of the novel, it wasn’t a drastic enough change to redeem the dialogue. However, the novel did contain a fairly steady pace and didn’t take off on any random tangents. It was also very well edited and lacked any obvious grammar or punctuation errors.

I regrettably give Ice Cold a 2 out of 4 stars. I think that older kids and younger teens might enjoy Alex’s adventures, but for me, I think that it could have definitely used a little more detail to the story line and depth to the characters.

Ice Cold
View: on Bookshelves

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Acwoolet's Latest Review: "Elephant Dreams" by Martha Deeringer
Acwoolet

Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Ice Cold by Taylor Caley

Post Number:#2 by ZenaLei7
» 17 May 2017, 00:14

It's too bad that the rest of the characters lacked any character development and that the dialogue was flat. It seems like this could have been a great read if there were more multidimensional characters. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 48%

Post Number:#3 by Scerakor
» 17 May 2017, 07:58

It is sad to hear that it lacked depth; I love the idea behind the book and I have always been attracted to stories which have a "unknown society" element to it. Thanks for the review.
Scerakor's Latest Review: "The Turn" by Matthew Tysz
Scerakor

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 94%

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 17 May 2017, 08:07

I don't think this sounds like something I would really enjoy. It's too bad that the characters and the dialogue fell flat. Thanks for the review, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Fortunate Monsters" by Nancy Fulton
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 106 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 87%

Post Number:#5 by Ynnahxx
» 17 May 2017, 08:49

Ice Cold by Taylor Caley is not really good. It is so boring for a fantasy novel
Ynnahxx

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by MarisaRose
» 17 May 2017, 15:18

The premise of this one really does sound exciting and adventurous. I strongly dislike when author's think they don't have to develop characters or plots that much because they are writing YA; a successful YA should be just as, if not more complex than an adult book.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: Little Fires Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 185 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 352%

Post Number:#7 by Amagine
» 21 May 2017, 14:56

The premise of the story does sound interesting it's unfortunate that there is no depth or detail to the story. If there was, I'm sure this would've been a great book.

Great Review! 8)
"Writing something in the spirit of Halloween is just second nature to me." -Danny Elfman

"One must be a little crazy to write a good novel." -John Gardner
Amagine's Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: Dr. Seuss
Favorite Book: Writing Irresistible Kidlit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 706 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#8 by Rosemary Okoko
» 20 Jun 2017, 04:49

The story sounds really interesting. The author needs to work on the book some more to attract more readers. Nice review.
Rosemary Okoko's Latest Review: "The Monkey Idol" by K.D. McNiven
Rosemary Okoko

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 150%

Post Number:#9 by Darakhshan Nazir
» 24 Jun 2017, 00:38

worth reading
"The night wasn't dark, it was her soul"