Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Theory of Talking to Trees

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: The Theory of Talking to Trees

Post Number:#1 by e-tasana-williams
» 09 May 2017, 20:41

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Theory of Talking to Trees" by Karl Dehmelt.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by e-tasana-williams
Share This Review

The Theory of Talking to Trees, the novel by Karl Dehmelt, is a complex story about two men struggling with mental illness. Stephen Christiansen is a successful author, and engaged to Phoebe. He proposed seven years ago, and Phoebe insists other conditions must be met prior to setting a wedding date. Isaac Sellers is a down-on-his-luck factory worker, and engaged to Olivia. A man of modest aspirations, he struggles to survive day to day. Stephen and Isaac's paths cross during a near-fatal mugging and they become fast friends, partly based on their shared pathologies. Without including spoilers, both of their relationships are changed dramatically through the course of the story.

Both Stephen and Isaac suffer from lives touched by mental illness. Isaac, from a poverty-stricken background, has little to shield him from the ravages of schizophrenia. Stephen, on his way to becoming a best-selling author, is more functional, until he's not. Mental illness or not, the characters have good advice for us all. One example is when Isaac tells Stephen, "I can only judge myself, and base my actions on being better than who I was yesterday." (P. 158)

The Theory of Talking to Trees is about mental illness, but it is also about the relationships experienced by its sufferers. Although the specific diagnoses are only named briefly, the audience gets a snapshot of the complexities and cruelties involved. The Theory of Talking to Trees also spotlights the writing process. Both Stephen and Isaac use writing as a coping mechanism. Stephen works for a publishing house and Isaac has a manuscript he would like to publish.

Readers of literature can appreciate this novel. Artistically written, it is reminiscent of a good short story. An example is the abundant use of simile and metaphor found throughout the tale. One memorable metaphor describes a family's experience after a near-fatal accident: "They scrape the morsels of optimism from a full plate of tragedy, fearing the young man might not awaken from his comatose state." (P. 7) While he writes about writing, Mr. Dehmelt uses lyrical prose to add yet another layer of complexity to the work.

The book appears to be professionally edited, with less than a handful of errors noted. This is an important point for a work about a professional editor working for a publishing company! Nice touch, Mr. Dehmelt. I rate The Theory of Talking to Trees 4 out of 4 stars. The writing is poetic, I found myself rooting for the intriguing characters and the descriptions of life with mental illness are authentic.

The Theory of Talking to Trees
View: on Bookshelves

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
e-tasana-williams's Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
e-tasana-williams

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 120 Books
Goal Completion: 16%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Theory of Talking to Trees

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 11 May 2017, 07:28

I love that this is book that addresses mental illness because it is something many people suffer from. I also like that it is an inspirational read with quotes that can be applied to everyday life.

Great Review! 💜
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness
Bookshelf Size: 617 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Post Number:#3 by godreaujea
» 11 May 2017, 07:31

Nice review! This sounds like a poetic read. :)
godreaujea's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
godreaujea

Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 333 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 48%

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 11 May 2017, 08:06

Sometimes its difficult to write about mental illness in an authentic way. It sounds like this author does a great job. It sounds like a book with a message for us all yet entertaining at the same time. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Golden Legacy" by Robert James Glider
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 67 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 51%

Post Number:#5 by DennisK
» 11 May 2017, 10:28

Thanks for the review, e-tasana-williams. I'm looking forward to reading it.
And Hazel agrees - Woof!
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook Simple
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by Chrys Brobbey
» 11 May 2017, 14:04

The author seems to have cleverly used the medium of a novel to bring attention to mental illness in society - which is a good thing. The story line is interesting, and seems to be well executed. Kudos for the review.
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 18%

Post Number:#7 by abriana favors
» 14 May 2017, 19:48

Wow it actually sends like a good book to read. It got my attention because I love to read books that are different like this one. I love how he had titled the book which makes it even more interesting to read.
abriana favors

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#8 by Jaime Lync
» 15 May 2017, 09:16

This sounds like a book you read in one sitting. Great review. I love that you mention that the writing is poetic.
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 275%

Post Number:#9 by Ella Rose Orocio
» 17 May 2017, 09:53

hmmmm its nice
maybe,i can read the whole story