Official Review: Defining Her by Samantha March

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Defining Her by Samantha March

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Defining Her" by Samantha March.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Defining Her is a modern-day women’s fiction novel written by Samantha March and published in February 2017. This novel is one that seems to blur the lines of drama, romance, friendship and betrayal. As an experienced author of several other recently published novels, Samantha March proves her potential with her newest release.

Told as a two-person perspective, Defining Her rotates back and forth between two main characters, Nellie and Prue. Being as completely different as two people can be, Nellie and Prue seem to find common ground as they find out more about each other. Nellie Hawthorne seems to have it all- her own tanning salon, a wonderful husband, a classy and expensive wardrobe, and a seemingly perfect life. Nellie’s past, however, is not as shiny and spotless. When Nellie’s past seems to come haunting upon her, she’s threatened to lose everything she has worked so hard for, and that’s simply not something she can allow. Prue Doherty seemed to be a complete opposite of Nellie. Always known as the good girl making only the best decisions, Prue is left heartbroken from a horrible betrayal that she did not deserve and which has left her helpless and hollow. She knows she deserves happiness, but exactly how far is she willing to go to create her own happy ending?

The character personalities developed throughout this story were well constructed and accurately believable. The more I got to know the characters, the easier it became to like them despite their flaws. I felt sympathy for Nellie and Prue equally, but both for completely different reasons based on their past experiences. The themes throughout Defining Her evolved around family, friendship, heartbreak and betrayal. Although I could begin to see where the story was taking me, I was still totally surprised with the twists and turns that followed both Prue and Nellie throughout their journey, both together and apart.

I was especially pleased with the writing style of this novel, as it felt very modern. Although there were situations revolving around drug use, abuse, and sexual scenes, the depictions were written tastefully. There was some explicit language used throughout the novel, but seemed fitting for the situations that were portrayed. The secondary characters in the story were mentioned enough to give a good idea to their personalities but also not to take the shine away from the leading ladies in the novel.

I am so pleased to give a rating of 4 out of 4 stars to Defining Her. The situations involved in the story were believable and realistic, focusing on experiences that actually occur today, and developing them into something totally twisted and thrilling. I would recommend this novel to readers who enjoyed The Girl on the Train, as I found the writing style to be similar, as well as the way character involvement was intertwined. I am already looking forward to see what else is offered by Samantha March.

Defining Her
View: on Bookshelves

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The story sounds interesting with well-defined characters and lots of plot twists. I am going to take a look at the sample on Amazon.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kourtney Bradley

bookowlie wrote:Great review! The story sounds interesting with well-defined characters and lots of plot twists. I am going to take a look at the sample on Amazon.
Thank you!
I hope you give this one a shot!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Actually, I considering selecting this review book recently. Now I'm sorry I didn't!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kourtney Bradley

bookowlie wrote:Actually, I considering selecting this review book recently. Now I'm sorry I didn't!
I almost chose another one too! So glad I didn't!
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's interesting that some books that you think might be duds by looking at them actually turn out to be great. Then there's the opposite. Those books you think are going to be fabulous sometimes turn out to be horrible. Glad this one was enjoyable!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love a book that showcases not only women's strength but their weaknesses as well. I also love that the characters come off as authentic and realistic rather than completely fictional.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you both! I've found myself recommending this one a lot already!
–Vera Nazarian
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I did not read Girl on the Train, but I had mixed feelings about whether or not I wanted to. It didn't seem like my type of book. I don't know if this one would be either but your review does make it seem interesting. You did a great job with the review and I thank you for sharing it.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Kourtney Bradley

csimmons032 wrote:I did not read Girl on the Train, but I had mixed feelings about whether or not I wanted to. It didn't seem like my type of book. I don't know if this one would be either but your review does make it seem interesting. You did a great job with the review and I thank you for sharing it.
Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian
RobertKarn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RobertKarn »

Albeit I haven't read any of the two books mentioned in this review, 'Defining Her and Girl on the Train' this review has already whetted my appetite to get hold of any of them, especially Defining Her. Perhaps I will be successful in hunting them down in Amazon. Great review I must say! Any reading that opens my imagination progressively as I read through is worth my praise and this review is one such read. Review more please!
Kourtney Bradley

RobertKarn wrote:Albeit I haven't read any of the two books mentioned in this review, 'Defining Her and Girl on the Train' this review has already whetted my appetite to get hold of any of them, especially Defining Her. Perhaps I will be successful in hunting them down in Amazon. Great review I must say! Any reading that opens my imagination progressively as I read through is worth my praise and this review is one such read. Review more please!

Such a great compliment, thank you! I hope you find and enjoy both!!
–Vera Nazarian
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This book sounds great. I love it when one is able to feel for the characters. Thanks for your review.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This book seems to have a lot of great elements! I think it's always important to have realistic, flawed characters that are still enjoyable to read about. At first, I didn't think I'd be interesting in this one, but you've definitely made me reconsider :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”