Official Review: Act Two For Three by Barbara Fox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Act Two For Three by Barbara Fox

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Act Two For Three" by Barbara Fox.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When women (or men, for that matter) get to a certain age, they need to adjust to the changes that often go along with aging. Lifestyle changes can result from any number of things - retirement, empty nest syndrome, the loss of a spouse, etc. Act Two for Three by Barbara Fox is a novel that explores the lives of three supportive friends around the age of seventy who are in the “second act” of their lives.

I enjoyed this light and breezy novella about friendship and finding that there can be a few surprises in your life at any age. The main characters are well drawn with detailed backstories. Jenna is a widow who finds it difficult to shake her anger toward her husband for dying and leaving her alone. She reluctantly dips her toes into online dating, but no one seems to measure up to her late husband. Natalie chose a singing career over marriage without regrets. Happily married Liz is one of those dynamos with a whirlwind schedule of volunteer jobs, and is an actively involved mother and grandmother.

It took me a while to become absorbed in this story. The first third consists of alternating chapters about each of the women. Although this method gave me a clear idea of the characters, everything felt too compartmentalized. Eventually, there are chapters that include all three women, although there are still alternating chapters with separate plotlines. The women’s close friendship is the true highlight of the book and I would have liked to see more scenes showcasing this. Of the three main characters, Jenna’s storyline is the most realistic and relatable. Her accounts of a string of first dates are well written and often hilarious.

The main gripe I have is the extremely high number of errors throughout the story. There are over fifty errors, such as spelling errors, missing/incorrect/extra punctuation, incorrect indenting and line breaks, spaces in the middle of words, and incorrect word usage. I often felt like I was reading a draft rather than a published book.

The writing inexplicably switches back and forth between the first person and third person. Natalie would first be referred to as “she” and there would be an abrupt switch to Natalie in the first person, only to switch back again to “she.” The first person passages appear to be each character’s inner thoughts. However, these sections should be formatted correctly, using either quotation marks or italics. By Chapter Eight, these inner thoughts appear to be written correctly; however, the switches are still not consistently written in the rest of the book.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. After a slow start, I enjoyed the adventures of these likeable characters. Still, I cannot give a higher rating due to the numerous errors I mentioned. It’s difficult to recommend this book in its current form, but readers who like chick lit might enjoy this short read.

Act Two For Three
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a nice chick lit about friendship. Too bad about the numerous errors. Hopefully, the author will fix them. It doesn't sound for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it despite the errors.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love the fact that the book's targeted audience seems to be older women. It's rare to find a book where the main characters are all over fifty years old. It's disappointing that the book has numerous errors and is inconsistent with the use of first and third person. Hopefully the author makes some changes because this book sounds like it has a lot of potential!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali and Amagine. :) Not only are the women over fifty years old, they are around seventy. It was nice to see a book featuring characters that age leading active lives.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! It sounds like this book would take a little bit to figure out between the errors and the switching points of view. I think I'll wait to read until there's an edit (if there is.) Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Ah, Nuts! I don't share a gender with the characters of this book, but I do share an age, and I wouldn't mind reading about their exploits - were it not for those errors! Since our last discussion, I have become even more sensitive to poor editing. Sorry you had to wade through what I know must be frustrating for you.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

DennisK wrote:Ah, Nuts! I don't share a gender with the characters of this book, but I do share an age, and I wouldn't mind reading about their exploits - were it not for those errors! Since our last discussion, I have become even more sensitive to poor editing. Sorry you had to wade through what I know must be frustrating for you.
Sorry I took several days to respond to your post. I was out of town and am trying to get caught up on the latest comments on my reviews. Since you are in the same general age group as the main characters, I am sure you would be able to relate to them. :) Ah....those pesky errors! It's funny that we were just discussing this topic. The difference between this book and The Remnants is that this book doesn't appear to have been edited at all.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Sounds like a book worth reading despite the errors you mentioned. Great review.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Jaime Lync! The characters were fleshed out so well that I felt like they had become my friends by the end of the story.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”