Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Refuge by Heidi Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: The Refuge by Heidi Martin

Post Number:#1 by e-tasana-williams
» 01 May 2017, 20:12

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Refuge" by Heidi Martin.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by e-tasana-williams
Share This Review

Ambitious Anna is the youngest partner in her law firm. She and her husband Frederick both have lucrative careers, a beach house, and an enviable life--from the outside. What isn't enviable is the personal tragedy they are both crushed by daily. The Refuge by Heidi Martin describes how the tragedy touches every part of Anna and Frederick's life together, threatening to tear them apart. When Anna starts having strange dreams and longing to leave her native Boston, she wonders what it is all about. For so long, she has defined herself by her career success, and is not sure what will happen when she ventures outside the boundaries of her current life.

Heeding the tug she feels to leave the city, Anna is introduced to a life she never thought she would have. Against the advice of her well-intentioned sister Julia, Anna opens herself to a new way of living in South Carolina. Along the way she meets a lovely little girl and a generous neighbor. Anna's experiences bring up new questions for her. How long can she put her old life on hold? Can she find real healing from personal tragedy? Who is she really meant to be? Is her concept of love all wrong?

The Refuge is an intriguing book. It contains love stories but it is not strictly a romance novel. It highlights some aspects of Ms. Martin's personal life, but it is not an autobiography. It discusses spirituality, but it is not a religious work. My favorite part of the story is its deep character development. Anna is not portrayed as a damsel in distress, waiting to be rescued by being swept off her feet. She is a realistic, relatable heroine facing difficult human issues. While she desires romantic love in her life, she is not ruled by her desire. The unique relationships portrayed in the book, along with the relatable heroine make The Refuge a different kind of novel.

Readers looking for inspiration will enjoy The Refuge, as it chronicles one woman's journey to forgive herself and find self love. Through genuine relationships and well-rounded characters, Anna discovers the value of second chances, spirituality, and giving and receiving love. Readers who subscribe to one particular faith may not like the story, as it incorporates elements from many different religions and gives each one equal value.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The story flows at a natural pace, I found myself invested in the characters' outcome, and the work appears to be professionally edited with no errors of note.

The Refuge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
e-tasana-williams's Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
e-tasana-williams

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 120 Books
Goal Completion: 16%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Refuge by Heidi Martin

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 03 May 2017, 08:18

It sounds like an interesting story. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. I don't know that it sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks, though!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "A Light in the Dark" by Kelly Bedford
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 68 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 52%

Post Number:#3 by mahnoor ali
» 03 May 2017, 11:32

seems interesting!
mahnoor ali

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#4 by Chrys Brobbey
» 03 May 2017, 14:39

"..... as it incorporates elements from many different religions and gives each one equal value." I find this feature unique, since many writers only present their religious view in their books. Thanks for a good review.
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Post Number:#5 by Amagine
» 03 May 2017, 18:14

It sounds like a interesting book, I'm interested in how it addresses different religions. That will be interesting to read. Also I love how the main character isn't a damsel in distress but a realistic protagonist. She sounds like the kind of character I would want to read about.

Great Review! 😁
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Dancing With Tex
Bookshelf Size: 619 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Post Number:#6 by Emmanuel Segun
» 03 May 2017, 20:43

i love this, xoo interesting
Emmanuel Segun

Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 13 books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#7 by mistysnow
» 03 May 2017, 23:35

This sounds like a unique novel by incorporating different religions. It also sounds like a mystery to an extent. Not sure I would enjoy it, but your review was very good thank you.
mistysnow

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28 books
Reading Device: Nook Simple

Post Number:#8 by Emmanuel Mrosso
» 04 May 2017, 03:00

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like an interesting story. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. I don't know that it sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks, though!

it was so interesting the flow kept me stanning..... :techie-studyingbrown:
Emmanuel Mrosso

Post Number:#9 by AppointedMessenger
» 04 May 2017, 03:56

"The Refuge is an intriguing book. It contains love stories but it is not strictly a romance novel. It highlights some aspects of Ms. Martin's personal life, but it is not an autobiography. It discusses spirituality, but it is not a religious work."
-hmmmm....interesting!
AppointedMessenger

Post Number:#10 by merrodinelegaspino
» 04 May 2017, 05:18

Sounds very interesting. I think I'm gonna love this book.
merrodinelegaspino

Post Number:#11 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 04 May 2017, 07:52

I like this very much. Anna feels very relatable. So much stress going on in this world, it's no wonder people start looking for a slower paced life. I feel I would really enjoy this story. Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe's Latest Review: "Black Mirrors of the Soul" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 209 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Lest92
» 04 May 2017, 18:29

I like that more of human experience is explored in one story. Usually, the focus would be exclusively on romance or spiritual growth, but to find these different facets in one novel is interesting. Great review:)
Lest92

Currently Reading: The Witches of Eastwick
Bookshelf Size: 171 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#13 by Jenelyn Galagnara
» 07 May 2017, 17:19

I love the story. I can relate to Anna. There are instances in my life that iI feel so down. It seems that the world is unfair. Its how you want to grow more when trials wants to weaken us. Instead of growing sometimes I experienced dying in pain of my married life.Just go on and life will show that everything happens for a reason.
Jenelyn Galagnara

Post Number:#14 by Jaime Lync
» 07 May 2017, 17:36

A book that has the reader invested in the characters sounds like a great book. I really like the structure of your review.
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 300%