Official Review: Don't Grow Up To Be A Crack Whore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Don't Grow Up To Be A Crack Whore

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don't Grow Up To Be A Crack Whore" by Bobbie Hill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Did your parents ever tell you that a witch or some other wicked creature would get you if you didn't go to sleep at night? Maybe you've been told your face might stick if you make a funny face? Perhaps if you don't use your brain enough you'll literally lose it? It's not such a crazy jump from those more common situations to Bobbie Hill's Don't Grow Up To Be A Crack Whore. This 4-page, quick little irreverent read explains that the real reason parents tell their kids to behave, do chores and get good grades is so that their kids don't grow up to be crack whores!

The book is mostly written with an AABB rhyme scheme and often sticks to a pretty solid flow as far as syllable count goes. The rhymes worked well, and I quickly found a sing-songy tune for my inner voice as I read. The rhymes felt as much like a silly nursery rhyme as a mere written book, and I can definitely picture an old-school punk band singing it.

I'll be honest, when I grabbed this book to review I expected to come across some overly-offensive insult to writing that was just trying to make a quick buck. However, aside from "whore" there wasn't any other foul language. Becoming a crack whore is merely the potential horrible result of a life gone wrong from things like not brushing your teeth when being told or hitting your sibling.

The book also manages to mock parents as much as kids. It's clear it makes light of how parents can dismiss their kids, tell them to leave them alone or to just be quiet and go to bed.

This is a tough book to review. It's so short that it's hard to apply much value to, but I can very easily recommend it if it's free or part of a collection. While I never laughed out loud while reading it, I sure did when I came across it! It also kept a smirk on my face the whole time I read it, and I couldn't resist telling friends and family about it. I'd rate the book 3.5 stars if I could, but my official rating of Don't Grow Up To Be A Crack Whore is 3 out of 4 stars. Is it for you? That's easy: if you chuckled when you read the title, it's for you!

Don't Grow Up To Be A Crack Whore
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds like it is a funny book that needs to be longer. Hopefully the author will add some pages to it.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Too bad it isn't a little longer, but I'll read it for a quick laugh. Great review!
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Great review. It's too short a book to review and I must say, you have done a great job.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This doesn't really seem like a book for me. I don't mind some humorous books, but it would be nice if there was more substance to it. I'm glad it made you chuckle, though! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

I'm not going to lie so I was a little pit off when I read the title. I like how it has lessons for kids as well as parents. The humor in it, I think, is what makes the boom. Thank you for the honest review.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a hilarious book. Although I did chuckle when reading the title, it isn't really my cup of tea. It is nice that the rhymes worked well. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Abdullai Rogers
Currently Reading: Three weeks in spring
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Abdullai Rogers »

This is the best kid book i ever read apart from MC HIGUIN THE GREAT

-- 15 May 2017, 09:08 --

Children Genre is important for grown up because it help you in stranthening your kid
cstegmil
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstegmil.html
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish

Post by cstegmil »

The title grabbed my attention, and you did a nice job reviewing such a short book. This book wasn't really for me, but I did chuckle a bit, just wish it was longer.
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Nice review! Sounds entertaining haha, I'll check it out! Thanks!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

I admit I did smirk when I read the title. I know how hard it is reviewing a book that is very short though even I haven't yet reviewed one this short. You've done a great job. It sounds humorous and worth a read. Thanks for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

A book that makes you want to tell others about it sounds good. Great review.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

This one totally caught me off-guard. Looks like an interesting and humorous read and congrats on BOTD!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Interesting concept... it seems like the title may have been the authors way to try to get extra attention to the book. Too bad it's so short - maybe it would do better as part of a collection of humorous poems. Glad to hear it's fairly non offensive despite the title.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Don't Grow Up To Be A Crack Whore by Bobbie Hill is a nice short book with a load of humor. And reading this book can be the best medicine for one's health and soul! Will definitely read it! Congrats Bobbie!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”