Official Review: Damn Females on the Lawn by Rachel Hurd

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Official Review: Damn Females on the Lawn by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Damn Females on the Lawn, author Rachel Hurd foresees a future where women belong to lawn groups. What’s a lawn group? It’s a group of women, ostensibly from the same general neighborhood, who adopt a cause about which they are passionate and get together regularly to discuss various subjects that generally fall in or around that topic. And they usually do this – you guessed it – on the lawn of one of the member’s homes.

The book was published in 2017 by Mill City Press, Inc. My ebook comes in at 86 pages, but minus introductory pages and several blank pages between some chapters, it’s probably a total of about 60 pages of text.

The blurb on Amazon describes the book as a “visionary fiction” that takes place in a “future world.” But don’t let the phrase “future world” conjure up anything science fiction-y; the book is not at all about that. While a couple of statements tend to hint at some technology or something that doesn’t yet exist (such as "concussion devices" to test NFL players during a game, and rapists having to wear red “R”s on their clothes, or yellow ones for “teen love”), these are mostly throw-away comments and do not at all define the dominant focus of the book.

In a nutshell, the book is a series of discussions by a group of women in one particular lawn group; these discussions are always about issues that are important to women, and from a rather feminist viewpoint. Although the book is set in the future, the issues it addresses are quite relevant to 2017.

The narrative follows the casual meetings and discussions of the Kevin Lawn Group. (Other lawn groups in the fictitious city of Aurora are named It Runs Deep, Men are Joyful, I’ve Been Raped, Take Back Your Fashion, Waxing Poetic, Shout it Outs, and United to End Internet Talk about Women.) The Kevin Lawn Group is comprised of six women – Winifred, Yazmine, Caprice, Devon, Luna, and Norma. Each short chapter – of no more than four pages – has them meeting at one of their homes and discussing a specific topic. Among the subjects discussed are problems at work, women CEOs, Hollywood’s portrayal of women, being taken advantage of by mechanics, marriage, menstrual cycles, beauty, women they admire, dating and sex, and a lot about sexism and gender discrimination. Occasionally the Kevin Lawn Group visits another lawn group and participates in the discussion. Only once is there a bit of tension among the different groups.

The actual narrative comments of the book – the voice of the author – are sparse and unimportant. The author, in order to move the “story” along, throws in details about where the women are meeting or what they are eating or drinking, but these comments simply bookend the dialogue and don’t add anything to the whole, nor are they intended to. It’s a very dialogue-heavy book, comprised mostly of conversations among the women of the Kevin Lawn Group about whatever subject happens to be at hand. As such, there is no rising action/climax/falling action/resolution here. There is no plot. It’s just women talking.

It’s difficult to find a category for this book. It’s fiction, but there is no story, no conflict, no drama, and no character development; although there are six different women involved in the discussions, they don’t stand out as individuals in any way, and we never find out much about them. But that’s not necessarily a criticism. I suppose the important thing here isn’t the characters or setting, but the general message voiced by the collective whole: the world is still unfair to women, and that’s mostly the fault of men.

The book isn’t hard to read, as the dialogue is written in a fairly conversational, natural manner, and the discussions flow and have a natural feel to them. Although there is no plot to speak of, the book held my attention insomuch as I wasn’t uninterested in finding out what the next subject to be discussed would be and what opinions would be offered. As mentioned earlier, the chapters are from two to four pages, so each separate topic is discussed briefly and then we are whisked away to the next day and a brand new topic.

I might mention that the blurb on Amazon states that the Kevin Lawn Group, while not appearing to be the most radical, “might be the most extreme of them all.” The final chapter reveals why, but no spoilers!

Overall, I didn’t love this book, but I liked it. I’m the opposite gender of the principals, which may or may not have played a role in forming my overall impression. I suppose men and women who are more passionate about feminist causes will like the overarching theme and find things to cheer about. Of course, I can’t disagree with the general idea that women continue be treated unfairly and are discriminated against because of gender. And the canvas on which he author chose to present this theme is unusual and original.

It’s a “message” book, and there isn’t much more to say about it. The writing manages to get up off the page a little bit; it isn’t stellar, nor is it bad. But since the majority of the book is dialogue, it isn’t expected to be high literature. Because of the principal characters and theme, I’ll go out on a limb and say that this book might appeal more to women, and especially to those who feel strongly about gender equality and feminist issues. I rate Damn Females on the Lawn 3 out of 4 stars.

Damn Females on the Lawn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like PashaRu's review? Post a comment saying so!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like a message book. It probably won't be one that I'll read, but it sounds like it sparks some interesting discussion. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another well-written, insightful review. :) I considered selecting this book a while ago, so it was a treat to read what someone else thought of it. Based on the sample, I have to agree with your "not stellar yet not bad" assessment. Nice job.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love the concept of a lawn group. I can even picture a tv series, "Real Lawnwives of America." I also love books with a message to them. It sounds like a book I might want to read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Thank you @kandscreeley @bookowlie @Amagine for your comments!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I'll like to take a seat with the women on the lawn to listen in on their discussions. Seriously, it is high time the issues and concerns women have are taken seriously in society. The author seem to have started a subtle movement with this book, which hopeful will yield dividends.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Maybe this will be the beginning of lawn groups. Turning fiction into reality. Would be interesting.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

It must contain some very interesting dialogue for it to have held your attention with a plot, climax or drama. I like the message it sends. Thanks for the great review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Part of the reason I kept reading was to see if it was going anywhere. As I mentioned, there is a medium-sized pop in the last chapter, but you really have to care about the issues discussed in the book, as there isn't anything that resembles a traditional climax-resolution.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”