Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Dance on the Head of a Pin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Dance on the Head of a Pin

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 19 Apr 2017, 13:45

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dance on the Head of a Pin" by Joan M. Maredyth.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

Joan Maredyth’s Dance on the Head of a Pin is an emotionally charged and relevant tale. Five pit bull pups born in a junkyard are separated from their mother at a young age. The nervous pups quickly find themselves separated from each other as well. Alone, scared and hungry, the fate of each pup is dependent on the treatment they receive from the people they encounter. Tay, a local deputy suffering from depression; Edna, his high school crush; and Mildred White Owl, a retiree new to the community, all play major roles in the survival of the five pups. Rich with imagery of the Arizona desert, Dance on the Head of a Pin attempts to redefine breed stereotypes while also tackling major themes like depression, abuse and child neglect.

The novel has a surprisingly intricate storyline. The book follows the five pups, their mother, Bella, and the various humans who cross paths with the canines. Though the book follows the pups individually (with the exception of one pair that stick together), their stories were easy to follow. Similarly, the human characters were seamlessly introduced and had engaging stories of their own. The multiple canine and human plotlines are masterly interwoven, creating a continuous and unified story. Though the hardships faced by the pups are inspiring, it is the added human element that solidifies the novel’s success.

The author’s prose is bursting with imagery and emotion. The Arizona desert is vividly drawn throughout the narrative. Descriptions of textures, sensations, and aromas further aid the reader in believing the perspective of the pups as such descriptions accurately embodied the acute awareness of a canine. Similarly, through her prose, the author masterfully forces the reader to experience the fear, frustration, disappointment and hope the pups undergo throughout their journey.

Notably, each pup has a clear, distinguishable personality. If you have ever had a canine companion, you will relate to these loyal, brave and loving characters with ease and revel in their differences. Similarly, the human personas are just as interesting and developed as their canine counterparts. The humans involved face obstacles and emotional decisions related to the pups, but themes of abuse, child neglect, depression, familial conflict, and small town politics are all laced into their narratives, adding to their complex and realistic personalities. On the surface, this is a story about five abandoned pit bull pups, but deep down, it is truly a story about life, love and human nature.

This novel successfully brings multiple relevant topics to life in a heartfelt and emotional manner. The canine point of views and the complexity of the human characters make this story hauntingly realistic. If I could rate this book 5 stars I would; since that is not an option, I readily rate Dance on the Head of a Pin 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone with a soft spot for animals or an interest in animal rescue efforts will easily relate to, and enjoy, this work. I do not recommend this book to a younger audience because of the mature nature of some of the topics discussed. Lastly, according to the book’s Amazon page, 10% of proceeds from book sales are donated to dog rescue groups; I commend the author for this generosity!

Dance on the Head of a Pin
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: Little Fires Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 189 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 360%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Dance on the Head of a Pin

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 20 Apr 2017, 13:25

Wow! This is such an interesting topic for a book. I love dogs, and they do each have their own personality. It sounds like the author wrote masterfully to create a beautiful tale. I'm putting this on my to read list!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Fortunate Monsters" by Nancy Fulton
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 106 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 87%

Post Number:#3 by MarisaRose
» 20 Apr 2017, 13:28

kandscreeley wrote:Wow! This is such an interesting topic for a book. I love dogs, and they do each have their own personality. It sounds like the author wrote masterfully to create a beautiful tale. I'm putting this on my to read list!

I'm glad to hear you want to read this! I really really loved reading this book! I hope you like it :)
MarisaRose

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by Kitkat3
» 20 Apr 2017, 14:24

:cry: I really hate how pit bulls are judged for their breed. :cry: I'm happy that the author decided to help break the stereotype and show how a dog is influenced by its upbringing. Sounds like a lot of other important issues are discussed as well. I like how you describe it as a story about people and life in general too. It sounds like the author did an excellent job of making the characters realistic. Thanks for the review!
Kitkat3's Latest Review: "Black inked pearl" by Ruth finnegan
Kitkat3

Favorite Book: Milk and Honey
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 230 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 41%

Post Number:#5 by MarisaRose
» 20 Apr 2017, 14:33

Kitkat3 wrote::cry: I really hate how pit bulls are judged for their breed. :cry: I'm happy that the author decided to help break the stereotype and show how a dog is influenced by its upbringing. Sounds like a lot of other important issues are discussed as well. I like how you describe it as a story about people and life in general too. It sounds like the author did an excellent job of making the characters realistic. Thanks for the review!

Thank you! When I first read the synopsis for this book I knew I wanted to read it. I am a huge advocate for rescues and I love how the author is able to show that pit bulls are just as loyal and lovable as any other breed. Thanks for reading my review :)
MarisaRose

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by Amagine
» 20 Apr 2017, 15:26

I love how the author writes the story from both the human and dog point of view. Also the fact that the book tackles major issues that affect our world today makes it even more interesting.

Great Review! 😀
"Writing something in the spirit of Halloween is just second nature to me." -Danny Elfman

"One must be a little crazy to write a good novel." -John Gardner
Amagine's Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: Dr. Seuss
Favorite Book: Writing Irresistible Kidlit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 706 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#7 by MarisaRose
» 20 Apr 2017, 15:27

Amagine wrote:I love how the author writes the story from both the human and dog point of view. Also the fact that the book tackles major issues that affect our world today makes it even more interesting.

Great Review! 😀

Thank you! This really is one of the best books I have read recently; it's so much more than it appears!
MarisaRose

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by Gingerbo0ks
» 20 Apr 2017, 16:18

This is a great review, and it makes the book sound intriguing. I love it when a story is much more than it appears! It has a good message too. I love animals though so I would hope all the pups ended up okay otherwise it'd upset me :(
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Gingerbo0ks's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Gingerbo0ks

Currently Reading: Juliana
Bookshelf Size: 156 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#9 by MarisaRose
» 20 Apr 2017, 18:34

Gingerbo0ks wrote:This is a great review, and it makes the book sound intriguing. I love it when a story is much more than it appears! It has a good message too. I love animals though so I would hope all the pups ended up okay otherwise it'd upset me :(

Thank you! I can't give too much away, but the ending is satisfying :)
MarisaRose

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by Chrys Brobbey
» 20 Apr 2017, 18:50

Quite an interesting and thorough review. The book seems like a lot going on both in the human and canine worlds, among a lot of character players. It looks to be educative as well, with lessons to impart.
Chrys Brobbey's Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 133 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#11 by Autiereads
» 03 May 2017, 01:14

As an owner of a rescue pit, and a former adoption coordinator for a shelter in Arizona, this book sounds like it was written for me! Amazing review, really made me want to read it!!
Autiereads

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books