Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Flirting with Disaster when Love and Nat...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Flirting with Disaster when Love and Nat...

Post Number:#1 by Shelle
» 16 Apr 2017, 22:15

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flirting with Disaster when Love and Nature Collide" by Janet Kleinman.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by Shelle
Share This Review

A woman planning her life as a widow, a devastating earthquake, and a love triangle all combine in Flirting With Disaster: When Love and Nature Collide. This story is a romantic fiction novel by author Janet S. Kleinman.

The story opens with main character, Gloria Simon, reconnecting with her first love. She and dashing and Mickey Green were teenage sweethearts forty years ago and the fire between them is still tangible despite decades of not even talking with one another. While the one-time sweethearts get to know each other again, Gloria meets another love interest as she spends time tutoring Haitian immigrants. Gloria is passionate about her work in education and gets swept away by her student, Henri, an up-and-coming mover and shaker in Haitian politics. When the small island of Haiti is hit by a massive earthquake, Henri goes back home to help his country. Motivated by the need she sees on the evening news, Gloria also heads to Haiti to help, despite Mickey’s desire for her to stay safe at home. The rest of the story deals with the love triangle and the aftermath of the earthquake. Gloria is forced to make some serious decisions that could alter the course of her future and the future of an entire country.

I liked several things about this story. I liked that all the main characters were older and love didn’t seem to be only for the young. Both Gloria and Mickey could be considered senior citizens and Henri likely isn’t far behind. I also liked learning about Haiti, including the social and economic history of the country. The characters were also well written and I felt like I knew them and knew what their typical behavior was. I found the characters to be interesting, even if I didn’t really like them.

That brings me to the things I didn’t like. As a 55+ year-old woman, I expected Gloria to have more common sense and confidence to allow herself to be treated poorly by men. Both Mickey and Henri had horrific behavior and showed poor judgement multiple times. One was pretty racist and the other was overtly sexist. Neither seemed like a good man and certainly not one I would recommend a friend be with. I was also bothered by the fact that Gloria seemed to ignore the waving red flags and made dangerous decisions for both men.

I rated Flirting with Disaster 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, I liked this book well enough to keep reading through to the end. I genuinely wanted to learn what happened to Gloria and who she’d choose to be with. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free. There were some graphic descriptions of sexual encounters, so I would not recommend it to younger readers.

Flirting with Disaster when Love and Nature Collide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Shelle's Latest Review: "Along Came Hope" by Carri Lyons
Shelle

Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 47 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 18%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Flirting with Disaster when Love and Na

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 19 Apr 2017, 09:44

I think that the fact that the characters are older make it special too. So many romance novelists focus on only the young being in love. They forget that people past the age of forty fall in love too! So it's good that the novel caters to a younger AND older audience.

Great Review! :angelic-innocent:
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Dancing With Tex
Bookshelf Size: 619 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Re: Official Review: Flirting with Disaster when Love and Na

Post Number:#3 by Shelle
» 19 Apr 2017, 10:18

Amagine wrote:I think that the fact that the characters are older make it special too. So many romance novelists focus on only the young being in love. They forget that people past the age of forty fall in love too! So it's good that the novel caters to a younger AND older audience.

Great Review! :angelic-innocent:

Thanks! That aspect was one of the reasons I chose the book and I think readers will relate.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Shelle's Latest Review: "Along Came Hope" by Carri Lyons
Shelle

Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 47 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 18%