Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Beneath the Coyote Hills by William Luvaas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Beneath the Coyote Hills by William Luvaas

Post Number:#1 by bluegreenmarina
» 12 Apr 2017, 22:15

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beneath the Coyote Hills" by William Luvaas.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by bluegreenmarina
Share This Review

There are some characters that stay with us after we finish a novel, and some characters whom we feel like we’ve known all along from the first time we meet them on the page. Tommy Aristophanos, the main character in Beneath the Coyote Hills by William Luvaas, fit into both of these categories for me. Tommy is an epileptic, technically homeless (though living in a home he built on the edge of an olive grove), and disillusioned with capitalism, luck, family, and ultimately life. As he tells us his tale, an immediately enthralling stream-of-consciousness account of his luckless adventures, we eventually come to understand how he has come to find himself living in his current state, and to what he owes his bleak outlook.

Tommy muses freely on the meaning of being a winner or a loser in our society, repeatedly contrasting his own life (for example, his epileptic fits, resulting in him being treated like a loser by his father and brother, and as a curiosity by many others) with the lives of successful people he has encountered. This theme of contrasting opposites surfaces repeatedly throughout the story – in the discussions of winners vs. losers, in Tommy’s assertion that “all happy people are alike, but unhappy people are uniquely unhappy,” and in the concepts of falling into (and accepting) one’s fate vs. planning a life using one’s free will. Here the author also plays with the concept that luck and ill fortune attract more of the same, each becoming a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Certainly, Tommy himself often feels like an unwilling victim to a cascade of ill fortune. In addition to the abuse he faced from his father and brother during childhood, his epilepsy affected nearly every future relationship he experienced, ultimately causing him the loss of at least his first (if not also his second) marriage. Despite working a number of jobs, Tommy is repeatedly taken advantage of financially, and eventually ends up losing nearly every possession and positive element of his life one at a time. As he recounts the events leading up to the present, we meet an array of colorful characters who shape the events in Tommy’s life throughout the timeline of the story. Simultaneously, we get to read pieces of the novel Tommy himself is writing – an “anti-memoir” of sorts in which the main character is essentially Tommy’s opposite – a wildly successful alpha male winner.

As we come to know the character Tommy has created, we suddenly experience (through Tommy’s eyes) an unsettling collision of reality with the virtual world he created on the page. Tommy’s character Volt suddenly begins to make appearances in the flesh, in Tommy’s actual living world. Another layer of complication arises from the fact that Tommy’s epileptic “spells” result in a wildly skewed sense of subjective reality, so he is never entirely certain if the people he is meeting are real or a figment of imagination.

This theme of subjective reality comes up in several ways. We experience the haze of Tommy’s “spells” through his vivid descriptions, which include visitations from shadowy demon-like creatures that haunt his dreams and waking hours. The people he meets in real life (if such a thing exists) appear to be the same people over and over again, coming to him under different names with slightly different faces, but essentially the same. His father haunts him the most, owing to a deep-buried trauma in Tommy’s past. As Tommy is forced to confront the fact that his actual life seems to be directly interacting with the written world of his manuscript, he is also forced to confront and attempt to conquer the traumatic events that shaped his world view.

This novel is rich with life, with the wealth and color and joy and pain of raw experience. The characters are realistic and believable, which is a feat considering it’s not even always entirely clear which of them were “real” within the story and which were elements of Tommy’s imagination. Despite the events being described in non-chronological sequence, the narrative flows clearly and fits together beautifully, and the character development is consistent with the events that unfold. Perhaps it is because I have known several people of whom Tommy reminded me, or perhaps because I don’t live too far from the geographical area in which the events took place, but I was personally struck by the wholeness of the world described within this story. I could taste and smell the air as Tommy smelled it, I could hear the insects buzzing in the olive grove and feel the hardness of the packed earth beneath his feet. I ached for him, I cheered for him, and I believed him and his subjective truth. This is a character whose voice I missed as soon as the story ended, and this is a book I immediately added to my “favorites” shelf. I rate this a strong 4 out of 4 stars.

Beneath the Coyote Hills
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
bluegreenmarina's Latest Review: "Naked" by Julie Freed
bluegreenmarina

Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: The Edge of Farallon
Bookshelf Size: 1126 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 80%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Beneath the Coyote Hills by William Luv

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 19 Apr 2017, 12:17

This seems to be a story with some great character development. It seems like the author really fleshed Tommy out. A great character always make for an excellent book.

Great Review! 😀
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Dancing With Tex
Bookshelf Size: 619 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Post Number:#3 by Chrys Brobbey
» 24 Apr 2017, 22:29

The world is surely not fair to people like Tommy, and those challenged in one way or the other. But Tommy's resourcefulness
and resilience should be a lesson worth emulating by people in circumstances such as his. His abusive father and brother represent a nightmare situation, which must be avoided by relations of those who have one defect or another.
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 12 May 2017, 14:35

Wow! What a glowing review. I love characters that stay with me long after I finish the novel. Sounds like this book was extremely well-written. Thanks for sharing your experience of the book with us.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "A Light in the Dark" by Kelly Bedford
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 68 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 52%