Official Review: The Life and Times of Tommy Kaos

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Official Review: The Life and Times of Tommy Kaos

Post by hailvilla18 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Life and Times of Tommy Kaos" by T. L. Henry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Life and Times of Tommy Kaos is a compelling novel by T. L. Henry based on real-life events. However, the names of the characters were altered to protect the innocent and the guilty. The PDF format is composed of 425 pages, and it was divided into fifty chapters. The book is written in first person point-of-view. It is a lengthy story, but once you started reading, you would look forward to the next events, so you would continue flipping the pages.

Children would usually spend their childhood running on streets, climbing trees, skipping rope, or playing games with other children. However, this is not the case for Tommy Kaos, who is the narrator of the story. He never enjoyed his childhood. His mom, named Sheryl Adamson was drunkard, irresponsible, and invective. She treated her children as slaves. She only kept her children for food stamps and money from welfare checks.

I hate his mom for her actions. She always goes home with a new man, and Tommy and his sister, May, would be taken to the man's place. They were brought to different places. She usually hit her children when they do mischievous acts, which is not the proper way in instilling discipline in children. She also prohibits Tommy to do his hobbies and interests. At one point, she badly hurt him when he joined the basketball try-out. As a result, he had lost his interest in going to school.

The kind of treatment Tommy received from his mom caused him to decide to live on his own. He worked in various jobs. He met different women and he became sexually involved with them. He became more addicted in his vices which compelled him to search for money, even in illegal ways. Nevertheless, there was never a point in the story where I despised him. For me, he was the victim. He could not have done those if he was properly guided by his mom.

I rate The Life and Times of Tommy Kaos by T. L. Henry 4 out of 4 stars. I think the choice of words for this story is good. The author chose to use layman's terms which are very easy to understand. There were few spelling and punctuation errors but it did not hinder my pace in reading. If I were to give a suggestion, it would be the inclusion of more dialogues. Dialogues portray scenes vividly and breathe life into the characters. This book caters to everyone, but it is most recommended for those who are against abuse and exploitation of children. I also recommend it to those who were ill-treated but found a way to overcome trauma. It would expose readers to the reality of life. To the parents, they would learn that they have to raise their children well, for them not be like Tommy. To the young ones, they would realize that the actions of Tommy were not cool, and they would not benefit at all if they follow those.

The Life and Times of Tommy Kaos
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hailvilla18's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Wow this sounds like a sad story. Especially the role that the mother plays in his life. Unfortunately this is a reality for so many children in the world and then we wonder why they grow up the way they do.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Abuse is all too rampant in our world. This book sounds very interesting. Thanks for this review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

This is a nice read . There are tens of thousands of children who suffered and are suffering from different types of child abuse. The disheartening part is, these abuses are committed by the children's own blood. Still, behind these abuses, children may still stand and say, STOP!
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
hailvilla18

Post by hailvilla18 »

Amagine wrote:Wow this sounds like a sad story. Especially the role that the mother plays in his life. Unfortunately this is a reality for so many children in the world and then we wonder why they grow up the way they do.

Great Review! ?
Hi there! Thank you for taking time to read my review.. Yes, it is a reality. Parents should reflect on what they have done that made their child grow up the way they did.It is not always the fault of the children.

-- 15 Apr 2017, 06:14 --
kandscreeley wrote:Abuse is all too rampant in our world. This book sounds very interesting. Thanks for this review.
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, child abuse is one of the most serious problems we have. This is a compelling story. I hope you'll grab yourself a copy. Thank you! :)

-- 15 Apr 2017, 06:19 --
Donnavila Marie01 wrote:This is a nice read . There are tens of thousands of children who suffered and are suffering from different types of child abuse. The disheartening part is, these abuses are committed by the children's own blood. Still, behind these abuses, children may still stand and say, STOP!
I agree with you. That is why I highly encourage parents or soon-to-be parents to read this for them to have an idea of what might happen to their children when they physically and mentally abuse them. In Tommy's case, he stood and told his family members of his mom's abuse but no one listened nor believed in him. Children need to be heard too.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

No doubt, the cover of the book depicts how miserable Tommy looks. This book will hopefully draw awareness to many such children mistreated in homes. I hope an antidote is found to this canker that plagues society. I doff my hat to you for a good review
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I hate child abuse. A mom should be the one inculcating moral values in children. And here we get a drunkard meany mom. I loved the review and love to give this book a try.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Woah, I pity Tommy Kaos for his hardships in life. I'm lucky my mother is not like his. Family plays a vital part in the child rearing and this is very evident in Tommy's life. In the end, I hope he was able to surpass all that.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

Very nice review. I feel sad with the difficulties encountered by Tommy. Parents should treat their children with so much love and care for them to be able to grow with discipline.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
MaricelBaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Communist Manifesto</a>
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by MaricelBaby »

Great review! Thank you for giving me an idea of what the book is all about. The life of Tommy Kaos is very miserable. I hope parents would realize the importance of bringing up their children with so much love and care.
hailvilla18

Post by hailvilla18 »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:No doubt, the cover of the book depicts how miserable Tommy looks. This book will hopefully draw awareness to many such children mistreated in homes. I hope an antidote is found to this canker that plagues society. I doff my hat to you for a good review

Thanks for the compliment.. Yes, it will make children aware that they can speak out when they are maltreated.. At the same time, it will serve as an eye opener to parents.

-- 17 Apr 2017, 08:35 --
MaricelBaby wrote:Great review! Thank you for giving me an idea of what the book is all about. The life of Tommy Kaos is very miserable. I hope parents would realize the importance of bringing up their children with so much love and care.
Thank you for taking time to read my review and give a response. I wish the same...that parents will be enlightened.. I hope you'll grab a copy of the book. You'll discover more of Tommy's adventures.

-- 17 Apr 2017, 08:39 --
michelonline29 wrote:Very nice review. I feel sad with the difficulties encountered by Tommy. Parents should treat their children with so much love and care for them to be able to grow with discipline.
Thank you dear.. Yes. Parents should do their responsibility well.. It is really saddening to know Tommy's situation.. Grab a copy of the book. :) The ending will make you feel a little at ease.

-- 17 Apr 2017, 08:57 --
ellieonline03 wrote:Woah, I pity Tommy Kaos for his hardships in life. I'm lucky my mother is not like his. Family plays a vital part in the child rearing and this is very evident in Tommy's life. In the end, I hope he was able to surpass all that.
Thank you for your feedback. You are right. Family plays a big role in forming the values of a child. Thus, we cannot blame Tommy for being addicted to vices and girls and being involved in theft. The end of this includes Tommy's realization. I encourage you to grab a copy of the book and get to know Tommy more :)

-- 17 Apr 2017, 08:59 --
Shreyoshi Sen wrote:I hate child abuse. A mom should be the one inculcating moral values in children. And here we get a drunkard meany mom. I loved the review and love to give this book a try.
I am happy to know that you are not like Tommy's mom. I admire you for striving to be a good mom. Thank you for taking time to read my review. You won't regret giving this book a try. :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great and poignant book. I may feel uncomfortable reading about the physical and verbal abuse but the book sounds really interesting. Great job on the review. Congratulations to T. L. Henry on such a high rating.
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

Well-written review. The mother of Tommy is irresponsible for taking care of his son. Parents should discipline their child in a proper way.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

Probably I would grab one copy of this if it's available for me. This book would bring us to reality where child abuse is common.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
hailvilla18

Post by hailvilla18 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a great and poignant book. I may feel uncomfortable reading about the physical and verbal abuse but the book sounds really interesting. Great job on the review. Congratulations to T. L. Henry on such a high rating.
Thank you for the compliment. I hope you would give this book a try. It is really uncomfortable reading about abuses of parents to their children but this book would help a lot in making readers see the importance of raising their children with much love and guidance.

-- 27 Apr 2017, 00:57 --
michelonline29 wrote:Probably I would grab one copy of this if it's available for me. This book would bring us to reality where child abuse is common.
Please do grab a copy. You won't regret reading this for in the end, you will learn a lot.

-- 27 Apr 2017, 01:00 --
Moniquejm wrote:Well-written review. The mother of Tommy is irresponsible for taking care of his son. Parents should discipline their child in a proper way.
Thanks for reading my review. Yes, Tommy's mom was very neglectful of her duties that's why Tommy grew up to be a theft, criminal, and drug addict. I hope one day all children will be raised in a loving family.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”