Official Review: A Bend In The Willow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Official Review: A Bend In The Willow

Post by Lest92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Bend In The Willow" by Susan Clayton-Goldner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Bend in the Willow by Susan Clayton-Goldner is a realistic fiction novel that weaves together many themes, the most prominent of which are the themes of maternal love and determination, and the effect the past has on the present.

The novel starts with Robin Lee Carter in Willowood, Kentucky, in the 1950s. These flashbacks give the reader glimpses at the motivation behind Robin Lee’s reinvention of herself as reputable and educated Catherine Henry, whose past is a series of fictions she tells her husband Ben, a dean at a medical school in Tucson, Arizona. In 1985, Michael, their five-year-old son, is diagnosed with chemo-resistant leukemia, a development that threatens to upend Catherine Henry’s comfortable way of life. Determined to help Michael and desperate for a family member’s matching bone marrow, she contacts her nineteen-year-old son, whom she gave up for adoption, and returns to Willowood to find her brother. Aware that admitting to her presence at the scene of the house fire that killed her father could lead to her arrest on a charge of homicide, Catherine is resolute in her decision to risk the ideal life she has created for herself in order to keep Michael alive.

My expectations going into this book were rather low, since harrowing stories of adversity often become melodrama. However, this novel surprised me. This is a sensitively written narrative. The author handled the characters and their hardships with poise, almost understatement. She never tells the reader how to feel, but presents opportunities for empathy with the characters. Clayton-Goldner’s characters are relatable, and her depiction of the children is particularly lifelike. The vivid and poetic writing kept me absorbed in the story – A Bend in the Willow is a book I didn’t want to put down until I reached the end. Overall, the pacing was quick and the flashbacks never slowed the story down. Indeed, the author balanced the story well between Catherine in the present and Robin Lee in the past. I particularly liked the way questions about authenticity are raised in the book by contrasting the point of view between Robin Lee’s first person, and Catherine’s third person.

There were some things in the book that bothered me. Although it never spoiled the book, there was a degree of predictability regarding Catherine’s past that I found tiresome. Catherine herself was a difficult, hazy character; her determination to save Michael even if it cost her a great deal is commendable, but it came with a chilly indifference to her older son and brother’s feelings when she made contact with them for their bone marrow. That was an exploitative advance on her part. Given this, her brother’s anger and eventual compassion were haunting.

The few flaws aside, A Bend in the Willow is a gem. There were no editing and grammar issues to disrupt my reading, so I will rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I’ll recommend this book to readers who are interested in seeing complex morality handled with finesse, and to those who enjoy good character-driven stories.

A Bend In The Willow
View: on Bookshelves

Like Lest92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I like the title of the book, which sounds metaphorical. I enjoyed the review as well, which is concise but serves as a panorama of the story. Will like to know if Catherine succeeded in her scheme to save her child. Seems to me to be quite an emotive situation. Thanks for a thoughtful review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Lest92

Post by Lest92 »

Thank you:) Yes, the emotional tension was surprisingly strong in this book - it doesn't often happen that I stress along with a character or think about the story afterwards.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely sounds like this book could have been very typical. However, the author seems to have handled the subject matter well. I'm glad that it was enjoyable and better than expected. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lest92

Post by Lest92 »

That's what I thought too - I imagined it was going to be one of those day-time soap/Dr Phil type melodramas, but oh boy was I wrong.
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

I like the theme of this book. It seems like a well-crafted novel with characters who are very true to life.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

As someone who enjoy reading character-driven stories, this sounds like a powerful read. It sounds like the characters are all fleshed out in the book and therefore are authentic to the audience. The plot seems well thought out as the main character has to handle issues in her present and her past.

Great Review! :character-smurfette:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Nice review. The theme is quiet interesting. As from the review, it seems that the book deals with a lot of strong emotional consequences.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Wow, sounds like the author really has a handle on writing an appealing, emotional narrative. Glad this one was a pleasant surprise. Really well-written review :)
Lest92

Post by Lest92 »

MarisaRose wrote:Wow, sounds like the author really has a handle on writing an appealing, emotional narrative. Glad this one was a pleasant surprise. Really well-written review :)
Thank you:) She has true insight into human nature, so the story did not feel contrived or melodramatic at all - well worth a read.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A mother that risks everything to save her son? Sounds like an intense read. Well done to the author for handling complex morality issues with finesse. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the minor faults. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review definitely made me want to read this book! A mysterious and emotional past collides with a reinvented present...how far would you go to save the life of your child? How much would you sacrifice? Today's #BOTD sounds like a must read!! Thank you!
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

An emotional story about motherhood and sacrifice - I believe it's worth reading.
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

Thanks for the review.
A rape victim takes up a new identity and leads a peaceful life until she realises she has to go back to who she was to save her son.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Great review. The book sounds so intense, the mother despite her efforts to save her son's life doesn't come off as likable. However, this book sounds like a worthwhile read.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”