Official Review: You Don't know Jack by Don Ross

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Official Review: You Don't know Jack by Don Ross

Post by Elaine5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Don't know Jack" by Don Ross.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You Don't Know Jack is a work of faction by Don Ross. Faction is defined by Jack Odum, the protagonist, as "the combining of fact and fiction" and it's just one example of Jack's fondness for neologisms (newly coined words or phrases). Jack is an out of work writer making his first attempt at writing a novel. His love of faction and neologisms is the reason he's no longer employed as a journaller (think writer vs. writist, biographer vs. biographist).

The story is written in the first person and Jack takes the reader to his Thanksgiving weekend family reunion. He feels this is a good subject for a novel because there are so few Thanksgiving themed movies and likely his novel will be adapted to become a blockbuster film. This rather inflated view of himself is but one humorous aspect of Jack's personality. Jack regularly addresses the reader and also writes notes to the editor and/or publisher such as this one "Editors: We may be making history here by this simple act of an author thanking his readers for reading his book without their having to wait long hours in long lines at his simple book signing." You might have guessed by now that it's not the plot that you will enjoy most, but the humor. I was already laughing on page two when Jack wrote to his publishers that he thought large print would add depth and substance by making the book thicker!

I found the fun this author had with words to be hilarious. Jack writes to his editors and publishers that he may have missed some grammatical and spelling errors while proofreading and that when not sure of the correct word to use, he used both. This leads to smile inducing sentences like this one "Being dragged behind the fire truck were the carcasses (carcassi?) of a dozen turkeys (turki?), their bony remains bouncing on the concrete to the song “Here Comes Santa Claus.” You'll have to read the book to understand the context behind that!

Don't be fooled into thinking this book is nothing but silly humor. There are some interesting characters and some real emotion that provide a nice balance to the zaniness. Jack himself is a very well developed character who has some surprises for you. The author has also quite masterfully included some very touching moments and complex family issues. Jack is one of those characters that you'll enjoy spending time with, but you'll be glad to have known only in a book.

In summary, I would describe this book as a light hearted, hilarious adventure. I would recommend it to almost anyone, but particularly those who like to have fun with language. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

You Don't know Jack
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Elaine5's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an interesting book. I love the neologisms that you used as examples. This isn't a book I would normally gravitate towards, but it does sound very fun! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

It is a lot of fun! Very clever. Don't even think twice about giving it a try if you need a laugh.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I loved the review that you did and it made me laugh. I liked the part about the main character trying to figure out the right word for things like turkey or turki. I also laughed at the part in the review that discussed the comments that he made to the editors for his book. I like the zaniness and self-confidence of the character.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! I had to laugh when I read the first line and initially thought "faction" was a typo. :) The mix of interesting characters and humor sounds like a winning combination.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks Katherine and bookowlie. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the review. Saying that the Jack Odum character is self-confident is an understatement! The book was full of "typos" like faction! So much fun.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

A hilarious review to a hilarious book. What I'll like to know is the editor's reaction to Jack's antics, and whether in the context of the book he was accepted by a publisher. But I guess I will have to invest in reading the book to find out, and more. Kudos for a good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks for your comments! Definitely read the book and find out whether or not he was published!
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

This book sounds like a lot of fun, what with the word play and the wonderfully over-confident main character:) Definitely something I would enjoy. I like that your review reflected the book so well, well done!
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks for your comments! I would love to hear from you if you read the book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”