Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Dawn's Eerie Light by Roy Ziegler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Dawn's Eerie Light by Roy Ziegler

Post Number:#1 by e-tasana-williams
» 05 Apr 2017, 20:08

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dawn's Eerie Light" by Roy Ziegler.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by e-tasana-williams
Share This Review

What happens when love is not reciprocated? Does it find another target? Does it fizzle out? Does its quality change to something dark and destructive? In the surprising novel Dawn's Eerie Light author Roy Ziegler explores the fate of love not returned in kind. Denial, obsession, withdrawal and self-destruction all make an appearance in the book. Part romance, part suspense and part historical fiction, the novel will have you curious about the ending until the very last page.

Matt and Leo are upper class business and romantic partners in New Jersey. Interior designer Riley is the toast of New York high society. Mildred is an elderly, mentally ill waitress consumed by spite, regret and a desire for revenge. Through a kind of "six degrees of separation", these threads and more are woven together to create the fabric of a story you will not soon forget. To reveal more about the story would involve spoilers. You'll just have to read the book!

People who like reading about mid-twentieth century New York will appreciate Dawn's Eerie Light. Written from the third person omniscient perspective, it is set on the east coast in the 1960s and early 1970s. Mr. Ziegler paints a portrait of America's social and financial capital city complete with haute couture, a rock and roll soundtrack and a lifestyle naive to the coming ravages of HIV. The scenes and interactions between the characters are realistic, and reading the book is like taking a time machine back to that radical era in America's history. It is a trip.

Readers turned off by profanity and same-sex romance may not enjoy Dawn's Eerie Light, as it contains both of these elements. Even with the same-sex relationships, however, Mr. Ziegler spins a tale full of emotion and angst experienced by many people regardless of sexual orientation. While some parts may make straight readers uncomfortable, they can relate to at least some of the situations described. Mr. Ziegler is a great writer.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The quick pace drew me into the story from the very beginning; I was 50 pages into the novel without even realizing it. Please note this novel is not for children, as the themes presented are of an adult nature. The professional editing makes Dawn's Eerie Light a polished entertaining work that I recommend to the mature reader looking for a different kind of fiction.

Dawn's Eerie Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
e-tasana-williams's Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
e-tasana-williams

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 120 Books
Goal Completion: 16%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Dawn's Eerie Light by Roy Ziegler

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 06 Apr 2017, 13:40

Wow! This is a great review. It sounds like you really enjoyed reading the book. I don't think the story is what I would picture from the name, but I love surprises like that!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "A Light in the Dark" by Kelly Bedford
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 68 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 52%

Post Number:#3 by Chrys Brobbey
» 06 Apr 2017, 15:08

It is said that a woman spurned is a deadly enemy. No wonder, therefore, that an author like Roy Zigler will portray this theme to great effect, as per your review. Looks complex enough, and interwoven.
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Post Number:#4 by Aimy
» 07 Apr 2017, 12:20

This book is a good example of 'don't judge a book by its cover'. Book's cover and title gave me a different kind of idea about its genre.
Aimy

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by Lest92
» 08 Apr 2017, 18:44

That cover! I must just say that the one who designed the cover is a maestro:) Apart from that, this sounds like the kind of off-the-wall narrative I'd like - great review :tiphat:
Lest92

Currently Reading: The Witches of Eastwick
Bookshelf Size: 171 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%