Official Review: Stories of the Indebted

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: "Stories of the Indebted" by Jorge P. Newbery

Official Review: Stories of the Indebted

Post by GKCfan » 02 Apr 2017, 04:17

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stories of the Indebted" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Official Review: Stories of the Indebted, by Jorge P. Newbery

Stories of the Indebted
is a book that teaches Americans how to deal with considerable debts that could potentially derail their futures. Newbery provides several examples of how savvy debtors can use the law and collection agency policy to their advantage, potentially settling outstanding debts for a fraction of their value. Throughout the book, Newbery provides advice on how to pay off mortgages, obtain leniency if one is short of funds, and deal with banks.

Newbery opens the book with the eye-catching chapter title, “How I Settled a $5,800,000 Debt for $225,000.” Newbery explains how he was expanding his business, but bad luck and the actions of an unscrupulous company led him into a mess of trouble– and the courts– but “a unique set of circumstances” connected to various errors led to his receiving a judgment that only left him liable for a fraction of the debt.

The prose style is interesting. The book is composed of a series of conversations that Newbery has with various people who are all dealing with massive debts, usually at a dining venue like Starbucks, Cheesecake Factory, Subway, or Olive Garden. Sometimes it seems like Newbery tape-recorded his talks with clients, and it reads that he transcribed the dialogue verbatim, even though there were bad jokes or pointless comments and observations that go nowhere. At other times, certain conversational turns or entrants into the discussion seem forced, as if the conversations have been fictionalized to make a narrative point.

I have no idea how well Newbery’s suggestions work in real life. I have thankfully never been in a situation where I would have to use some of Newbery’s advice, and my review is based solely on the quality of the book’s prose, and this should not be viewed as an endorsement– or a denigration of Newbery’s debt relief advice. Some of his advice certainly sounds helpful, but in other cases, his suggestions seem to mean simply skipping out on debt. In many cases, some people might be able to escape their financial obligations without any repercussions to themselves, but the lenders are still out the money, and sooner or later somebody might have to pay for it somehow, perhaps by increased fees or interest rates, or perhaps by some other method that might cover a lending institution’s losses.

The book is always interesting, but after finishing it, I was left uncertain as to how well these policies would work if thousands of people tried them. I remembered a story I read years ago, where a man refused to pay a debt owed to him, so the lender sold the debt to a mobster, who had collection methods that were very different from the ones that a respectable lender would use. I rather wonder what might happen if hundreds of people used certain methods to avoid paying off certain debts, and the lending institutions used the aforementioned tactic as a means of dissuading people from defaulting…

I give this book two out of four stars.

Stories of the Indebted
View: on Bookshelves

Like GKCfan's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 51
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Watchers by Marietta Standlee

Post by kandscreeley » 03 Apr 2017, 13:23

Well, all I can say is that I'm glad I don't have debt like this either. If I did, I don't think I'd follow this advice. Thanks for the review, though!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kimmyschemy06
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Somewhere a Tree Grows by Welby Thomas Cox, Jr.

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 07 Apr 2017, 10:27

That was a very honest review. The book sounds intriguing and I wonder about the 'skipping out on debt' part. Good job on the review.

GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: "Stories of the Indebted" by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by GKCfan » 07 Apr 2017, 14:57

Thank you so much!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”