Official Review: Chioma's Diary by Gerald Chukwu

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Chioma's Diary by Gerald Chukwu

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chioma's Diary" by Gerald Chukwu.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chioma’s Diary is a young adult novel by Gerald Chukwu. The story follows Chioma through her teenage years in which she endures many hardships. At the very beginning, we learn that Chioma has been raped by a classmate and has become pregnant as a result. Her father is a very proud man, and his reputation is everything to him. So he deals with this insult to his daughter by marrying her off to the man who raped her at only 16 years of age. She lives with his family during the pregnancy and birth of the precious daughter that results from this tragedy.

While this story starts off with the rape of a young girl, I would classify it more as a Cinderella story. The book is not so much about the rape as it is about her life with the boy’s family as a result. They aren’t very nice to her, and she endures many hardships at their hands. This type of hardship either breaks someone or makes them stronger. The book shows us how Chioma deals with this suffering.

This novel was very difficult for me to review, because there were so many good and bad points. It left me with very mixed feelings. I appreciated that the author did not go into too much detail about the rape as this is a young adult novel. I felt that it would be appropriate for older teenage readers and even bring up topics that need to be discussed at this age.

Chioma’s Diary was enjoyable to read, and I really related to the main character, Chioma herself. I felt her heartache, pain, and joy. The problem for me came with the character Louis, the boy who raped her. At the beginning of the story, he is portrayed as a bully; as someone who is constantly trying to attack Chioma. After the rape, it seems that he turns his life around too quickly. I suppose that it is possible that this would happen, but it didn’t seem very realistic to me, and it honestly left me with a bitter taste in my mouth towards Louis.

I also had a problem with the way Mr. Chukwu handled some of the advances towards Chioma when she was living in Louis’ house. I don’t want to give away too much of the story, but it almost felt to me that the author was too stereotypical in his treatment of women in this manner. I don’t think Mr. Chukwu was blaming Chioma, but as a woman, I was put off with the way these advances were handled in the storyline.

The last thing I really need to cover about this story is the setting and language. The story takes place in Africa, which becomes clear towards the middle of the book. I think the story would be better served with more of an introduction to the setting of the novel as that makes a difference in how the whole situation is handled especially when it comes to rape. Since it takes place in Africa, I’m aware that the language will be different than I and others like me are used to, however, it was very clear that the book was written by a non-native speaker of English. Aside from this, there were common errors such as missing words and grammatical mistakes. For example, the phrase “…carrying a pregnancy at teenage.” I think the author meant, “…carrying a pregnancy as a teenager.”

As I stated earlier, this book was difficult to review and even more difficult to rate. I believe that this has the makings of a good story, but in order to be really good, it would require a rewrite by the author. Therefore, I rate Chioma’s Diary a 2 out of 4 stars. I was able to relate to Chioma, but some of the scenes where advances are made towards her need to be reconsidered. I also think that the author needs to reevaluate Louis. While I’m not a writer, I think that he would be more believable if we were able to view his change of heart while it was happening. Not only that, but also the errors in the book need another round of editing. All in all, that makes this book simply okay.

Chioma's Diary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

People may drammatically change depending of what life offers them. In the case of Louis, maybe Chioma openned a door for him.It is saddening that this books has a lot of errors.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Donnavila Marie01- You could be right. Maybe the consequences were enough to turn him around. It just seemed a bit forced. Thanks for stopping by!
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

An interesting look at a very disturbing situation. Though I can understand there are cultural differences, I would also have a hard time with some of the stereotypes regarding women presented in this story. Interesting review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks MarisaRose. The whole topic is something you have to handle very carefully. The author did okay. It's just such a hard topic to write about well.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I know a girl named Chioma, just saying. In this story, Chioma's dad sounds very foolish to me and the rapist family sounds very insensitive. I don't think I would be able to read this. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”