Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Goblin Child by Michael Forester

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: The Goblin Child by Michael Forester

Post Number:#1 by Jax14
» 15 Mar 2017, 09:14

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Goblin Child" by Michael Forester.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by Jax14
Share This Review

The Goblin Child and Other Stories is a collection of short stories by Michael Forester ranging in length from one page to much longer. The eclectic nature of the stories places them in the "other fiction" category and none of the stories are interlinked and can thus be read out of sequence.

A young girl who will protect nature with her life and thinks that she has found love finds herself the prey of a deviant. A poet who has found love and lost it in an age where such love is forbidden cannot reclaim it. A queen who is convinced that the child she gave birth to has been replaced by a goblin. A brother who is blind to his abusive twin's hold over him. A man who claims to be Santa Clause has deep and dark secrets. The wonder of birth seen through the eyes of the traumatised baby. The real reason for the Tooth Fairy. The sleazy world of sexual predators. All these plus other thought provoking themes are covered in the stories.

The book as a whole is very difficult to critique as the stories are all written in different tenses, using different viewpoints and with different character vocal inflections. This makes some of the stories written from a very young person's view somewhat complicated to grasp. I felt a little deflated after reading the book as I didn't understand all of the stories or perhaps not the story itself but what the writer was trying to convey. I then found other online reviews also saying that some of the stories were tricky to identify with so I felt a little less ignorant. There are a few instances of grammar errors but nothing to detract from the overall impression of good editing.

I loved the pictures preceding the stories but unfortunately not all of the pictures came through clearly on the kindle. The writer definitely has a way with words, and the stories that I did understand were meaningful and covered many facets of the human heart and mind. Some very disturbing imagery emerged and in many circumstances the writer was able to take a deep subject and leave it to the reader to fill in the blanks, as with Angel's Place. In other places he sums up an event that changes a life and lets you see the sad future that awaits, as in Jumbled Egg with Prawn. The story that possibly made me smirk the most was Sometimes They Don't Come Back, which is a clever explanation of what the Tooth Fairy really is and how the visits are not as easy as just collecting the tooth.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars as although there was inherently nothing wrong with it, I would not recommend it as engaging reading. I tend to recommend books based on whether or not I would read them time and again, but this book would definitely not fall into that category and is not one whose stories or characters will remain with me.

The Goblin Child
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jax14's review? Post a comment saying so!
Publishing Contest ~ 2 Votes ~ View Jax14's Entry
Jax14

Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 472 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Goblin Child by Michael Forester

Post Number:#2 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 16 Mar 2017, 12:08

That is an interesting type book. Sounds sort of esoteric in spots. I guess I will be passing on it, though. My reading time is precious, and I don't like to use it on something too theoretical or vague.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 208 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 16 Mar 2017, 12:27

I like reading short stories every once in a while, but this doesn't sound like it's worth it. Thanks for the review, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "CBD Made Easy!" by Mary Minchin
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: The Maid of Salerno
Bookshelf Size: 59 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#4 by kimmyschemy06
» 25 Mar 2017, 09:26

That was a very honest review. The premise of each story sounds very interesting. Too bad, though, about the ambiguous message. It can be frustrating for readers when they can not identify with the stories. Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: The Deep Well of Time
Bookshelf Size: 313 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 50%