Official Review: Baby Boomer Humor by S.G. Soto

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Official Review: Baby Boomer Humor by S.G. Soto

Post by AA1495 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Baby Boomer Humor" by S.G. Soto.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review: Baby Boomer Humor by S.G. Soto

If you have a busy routine and want to read some light hearted humor at regular intervals, this book is perfect for you. Baby Boomer Humor by S.G. Soto is a collection of jokes and quotes similar to the ones that you would expect from social media shares or WhatsApp forwards. In the prologue, the author states that there was a time when jokes were always taken lightly and were never taken personally. Through this book, the author has tried to provide a glimpse at the humor which was taken for granted in the 90’s.

The jokes are of varying lengths (from a line to about 2-3 pages) and are sorted by category, with a chapter dedicated to each category. The book includes hundreds of jokes and while some are typical, like those on wives, husbands, blondes and Asians, some were original and impressive. However, if you’re someone who can get offended easily or hate stereotypes, this book is definitely not for you. I liked how this warning was included in the prologue, so I knew exactly what to expect from the book.

While most jokes made me chuckle, I found two of them very memorable. My favorite part of the book was the ‘Bill of no rights’ which includes ‘Articles’ such as “Article III - You do not have the right to be free from harm. If you stick a screwdriver in your eye, learn to be more careful; do not expect the tool manufacturer to make you and all of your relatives independently wealthy.” While each item on this list seemed obvious, it referred to the general attitude of people or some widely known instances. It was realistic yet funny, and I found myself agreeing with each point, while laughing.

Another memorable part of the book was the recipe for a fruitcake, wherein ‘test/sample/drink wine’ was after every step. The final step asked the reader to throw the bowl out of the window because "who likes fruitcake anyway?" I loved the ending. Further, I found this ‘recipe’ enjoyable to read because I hadn’t come across something like this in the past.

I have a few concerns with the book. Firstly, there were a few jokes that I had heard numerous times in the past, which now seemed very redundant. Having read many new jokes in the first few pages of the book, I had very high expectations from the rest of the book and was disappointed when I came across these redundant ones.

Secondly, this book definitely needs another round of editing and formatting. There were many formatting issues such as new chapters beginning without a page break or heading, entire chapters being written in capital letters and text (specially text in images) being very small to read and blurry when zoomed. The editing issues I noticed include the use of ‘is’ instead of ‘as’, ‘not’ instead of ‘now’ and ‘cry’ instead of ‘try’.

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars . Most jokes were unique and actually made me laugh. If not for the editing and formatting errors, it would have been a perfect, light-hearted book. Since there are a few sexual references in the book, I would recommend it to adults who enjoy reading jokes and are not easily offended.

Baby Boomer Humor
View: on Bookshelves

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Interesting concept - a collection of all these jokes in one place. Sounds like a good laugh! Thanks for the review :)
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound fairly interesting, but it sounds like it might be a little repetitive. Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

Interesting book! It does sound like a fun and easy read. The author probably included the jokes you saw as redundant to allow those who have never heard them before to enjoy them. Thank you for your review.
Madison Degraffenreid
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

By the title, I assumed it to be a novel full of comedy. But "a book of jokes" is completely new to me. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I like joke books, although it sounds like this one has some jokes that many of us have heard before. The "Bill of No Rights" sounds really funny. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Richard Arup Banarje
Currently Reading: My Dad, My Dog
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Richard Arup Banarje »

it sounds good.. hope it will make us chuckle :) .. thanks for the review and best wish to author.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”