Official Review: Serpent in the Pines by Oscar Patton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Official Review: Serpent in the Pines by Oscar Patton

Post by Mark Johnson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Serpent in the Pines" by Oscar Patton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review for the historical fiction novel Serpent in the Pines by Oscar Patton. Serpent in the Pines is part of the Satilla County series.

The book takes place in southern Georgia during the Reconstruction era. Tensions mount from disputes over land rights between a northern lumber company and the locals in Satilla County. Hundreds of ejectment cases are filed against the locals who are claiming rights to the land. As the company continues to cut down the trees and haul the timber away the superintendent of the Mellon Lumber Company is killed. The plot thickens as details of the conspiracy to kill Jim Moore become evident and land rights of Satilla County begin to get settled in court.

Overall I gave the book 3 out of 4 stars. I gave the book 3 stars because I did not like the way each chapter switched between different characters in the first person point of view. That hindered the flow of the book and made it difficult to remember who each character was until you got further along in the story.

The pace was also slow. Switching between so many different characters in the first person point of view took time for the story to develop. Although it eventually paid off resulting in good primary and secondary character development, it took away from the development of the main plot. Consequently the ending felt rushed and was not as satisfying as it could have been.

What I did like about the book was the historical setting and the vernacular of the characters. You could easily imagine what it was like to live in Satilla County during that period. The dialogue between the characters was very well done and that helped make the characters likable.

The book is intended for anyone interested in historical fiction or murder mysteries. Overall the book is clean. There are a couple scenes in the book though that are not intended for young readers.

Will the locals of Satilla County be able to keep their land? Will the Mellon Lumber Company win the land rights and change the landscape of southern Georgia forever? Who was involved in the plot to murder Jim Moore? Who was the killer? Will Sheriff George Winters be able to ease the tension of the community and solve the murder before there is more bloodshed? You can find out what happens when you read Serpent in the Pines by Oscar Patton.

Serpent in the Pines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mark Johnson's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds interesting. Yes, shifting of POVs between characters can be very confusing sometimes. Good job on the review.
Mark Johnson

Post by Mark Johnson »

Thank you I appreciate it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like an interesting novel. I'm not hugely into the historical genre, but if it's really good, I'll go for it. I'm on the fence about this one. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mark Johnson

Post by Mark Johnson »

Usually I don't go for historical fiction either. Been trying to read some books outside my normal genres; this book was a nice change.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”