Official Review: Daddy 3.0 by Rob Armstrong

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Official Review: Daddy 3.0 by Rob Armstrong

Post by Celticlady »

The premise of a stay at home dad book, is pretty unusual, they are usually from the female perspective. I read the sample of the book and this review helps me decide on whether or not I want to read it. The conclusion? Yes I do!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

L_Therese wrote:It sounds like we've got some funny moments, but truthfully, the description of wild restaurant scenes and and disasters around every corner reminds me more of those silly "Kindergarten Cop" type movies where the clueless tough guy has to deal with naughty children. I like a comedy, but I prefer witty to silly. Thanks for such an informative review. It's sample time for me.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my review and leave a comment. :)

L_Therese, it's true that here are a few silly, overdone scenes in the book. Still, most of the story is thoughtful with a subtle wit, as opposed to slapstick comedy.

-- 14 Jan 2017, 16:02 --
ceruleanblue87 wrote:Was this book nonfiction or at least based on true events? I feel like that would make or break this story for me... especially what you said about the supporting cast being painted into sort of stereotype character tropes - it would make this less of an issue if they were actually based on real people (if those people themselves fit those stereotypes)
The author mentions in his bio that he loosely based the book on his own experiences as a stay-at-home dad. That being said, I don't know if the characters' personalities were based on real people.

-- 14 Jan 2017, 16:04 --
truebookaddict wrote:It's a shame that the wife is written in that way. Seems it would have been better for her to be a more sympathetic character. Thanks for the constructive and detailed review. Great job!
I agree! It would have been better for the wife to be a more layered character.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

This sounds like an amusing book, with his wife, Liz as the antagonist. I read the sample and she antagonized me! Great job on the review!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. Being a parent I love a good humerus look at parenting. The fact that you said that this is laugh out loud funny makes me want to read the book, though the technical errors and hateful Liz give me pause, I'm still going to add this to my TBR list. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Silvermoon wrote:This sounds like an amusing book, with his wife, Liz as the antagonist. I read the sample and she antagonized me! Great job on the review!
She really bugged me! I hope the character's personality wasn't based on the author's wife.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I love your reviews. Always on point.
Vermont Reviews.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

jamesabr wrote:Liz's character sounds absolutely flat and dreadful, but the idea of a dad among stay-at-homes sounds like it could be great fun! Can you tell me why he's called Daddy 3.0 instead of 2.0, or should I read the book to find out?
I read this from the back cover:
Daddy3.0 practices a modern type of fatherhood. While Daddy version 1.0 left the children to his wife, and Daddy 2.0 shared responsibilities, Daddy 3.0 is a stay-at-home dad. Daddy 3.0 doesn't even have time to stop his twins from getting banned from seemingly every restaurant in Manhattan.

-- 14 Jan 2017, 17:16 --

This book sounds hilarious! I can't wait to read about all the crazy adventures of Daddy 3.0 and the twins! What makes it even better is that the twins are girls...I have a friend who has raised his son by himself since he was 3 months old. He is now 16...what a ride it has been! We always used to talk about how different his life would have been if his son happened to be a daughter. He probably would have had a few more nervous breakdowns than he did with a son! Haha! I think he would really enjoy this book, and I am hoping to buy the print copy for him later today! Thank you so much for the review!
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

A Debut book by Rob Armstrong which is a comedy novel and that too with such good reviews makes me take a look at this book soon and read it. I am sure it will be a great weekend read. Congrats on being the BOTD. :)
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Glad you enjoyed this book! Sounds like a hysterical and easy read. Might be a good one for one of these frigid winter days. Great job on the review!
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

The premise of the book sounded great. But after reading the sample and the review, I'll have to pass. Too bad that the wife is so 1 dimensional.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

It seems like an interesting book! I hope to be a doctor one day and reading about how disinterested the mom was with her children is a little disheartening but I hope I will be able to find time with my future children. Great review by the way!
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I wanted to add that this would probably be so funny on audio, too! Haaahaa!
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Sounds entertaining! I know some dads who stay at home like Nick to take care of the kids. The stories they share on parenting fails !are hilarious. Can't wait how the author wrote Nick's adventure with the twins. Congratulations on a well-written review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

Great review. The fact that it is about a stay-at-home dad caught my attention. I haven't come across many books featuring the father as the main caregiver like this. Liz sounds like a poor character, and I hate that she is not as involved with her kids. I will be adding this book to my to-read list. Congrats to the author!
Madison Degraffenreid
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. Sometimes it is great to just have a laugh out loud book. This sounds like some of the movies in the 80s and 90s that took on that type of plot where the dad became the babysitter parent.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”