Official Review: The Grizzly Bear's Eyelash

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Grizzly Bear's Eyelash

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Grizzly Bear's Eyelash" by T. Jacira Paolino.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Here's a riddle: what do PTSD and grizzly bears have in common?
Answer: A delightful children's book, The Grizzly Bear's Eyelash, by T. Jacira Paolino!

The Grizzly Bear's Eyelash begins with a woman named Miyaku visiting a witch, seeking a cure for her husband. He was once a loving, attentive man, but ever since he went to war he became cold, distant and easy to anger. She asks for a potion to fix him, to return him to the way he once was. The witch tells her she can make a potion, but she'll have to get an eyelash from a grizzly bear to make it. The eyelash won't work if she simply finds it, however, Miyaku actually has to pluck it herself!

The Grizzly Bear's Eyelash is a really intelligent book that approaches the effects of PTSD from a new point of view - instead of it being from the one who suffers from PTSD, it's from the wife's perspective. The book also really manages to drive home its message - what Miyaku has to go through to obtain the eyelash - in a great way while being an entertaining read. Also, while it's slightly heavier on words than many children's books, it's still short enough (less than 25 pages of alternating text and images) to easily be read in less than 10 or 20 minutes even while showing off the pictures.

What I liked most of all about this book was just how well it drove the moral home. The book also includes 13 discussion questions that continue the discussion on PTSD, family, endangered species and witches. I love a book that can be discussed, especially such a short one that can be shared with children, and this one encourages discussion in every way possible.

The artwork in the book is adorable as well. While the eyes are drawn a bit off proportion, the fact that the entire book was drawn by Alice Brake when she was only 14 years old really adds to the charm. The images appeared to be hand-colored with crayon, and there's even some shadow work and shading! I do wish the images were all oriented the same way, though - while it makes sense that some are portrait (vertical) some are landscape (horizontal), turning the kindle or iPhone repeatedly to get the most out of each image is slightly annoying.

The Grizzly Bear's Eyelash was the recipient of the second place (silver) award in the XXIV National 50 & Più competition for prose, and I can certainly see why. The book is absolutely worthy of 4 out of 4 stars, and I'd recommend it to anyone with kids, especially those who are related to or know someone who suffers from PTSD.

The Grizzly Bear's Eyelash
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Diving doc
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diving-doc.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Diving doc »

Great review, and it sounds like a great book too!

What age group do you think it is suitable for? It's a fairly heavy topic to discuss with children.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I think this sounds like a great book. I have had PTSD and at times some of it still creeps back. This might be a good book for me to get for my son.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Very nice review! It sounds like an interesting book. I Am definitely going to recommend it to some dear family members.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”