Official Review: Out of Control by Keith B McMullen Sr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Out of Control by Keith B McMullen Sr

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Out of Control" by Keith B McMullen Sr.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Out of Control is a short fiction novel written by Keith B. McMullin Sr. and published in July of 2016. The main character, David, is introduced to the reader as an 8th grader suffering from a difficult childhood, where all he wants is to fit in. The story follows David from a young age to well in to adulthood, showing how his life changed, yet some things remained the same. While the story takes place over several years, the main two time periods are while David is in 8th grade and while in his early 20's. As a child at home, David is ignored and left to fend for himself. When at school, he fails to achieve and falls far behind due to no participation. When legal intervention finally steps in and David is forced to attend a boarding school, he learns more about becoming a part of society.

David owes the change in his life to the successful program he was placed in at the boarding school. Once he is an adult and sent to continue life on his own, he struggles with balancing what he thinks he wants with what he actually needs. When the new girl at the apartment complex that David lives in starts struggling while moving her boxes, David introduces himself and they jump quicky in to what can seem like the perfect relationship. David thinks he has found all he could ever ask for- until he meets Jacky, a cashier that seems to be continuously catching his attention. Will David make the right choice with the two women he's been spending his time with, or will he lose them both in the process? Will David actually end up finding himself along the way?

Although this short story is labeled as fiction, it felt more like a memoir of a regetful life. Some parts of the story seemed to have no purpose other than as a filler, while other parts could have used some more elaboration- such as what type of lessons David learned while in the boarding school. As a huge fan of books about overcoming difficult cirumstances, I was pleased with how this story was laid out, showing people the positive aspects that come along with making changes. This novel deals with friendship, depression, lack of self control, self acceptance, finding love, and finding yourself.

While reading Out of Control, I came across some errors- showing that the novel could use another run through of editing. There were multiple misspellings that could be easily caught, such as, collage/college, knew/new, there/their. There were also a handful of choppy sentences that could have been smoothed out with comma placements.

Although I did find some errors while reading Out of Control, I generally liked the idea that went along with the story, and I also liked the aspect of not always having a happy ending for every character. There were some times that I felt like the story seemed dull, which I feel should not happen so easily with such a short novel. Due to that along with the errors, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to others who are looking for a quick and easy read, one that will still provide dramatics while staying light enough to read in one sitting.

Out of Control
View: on Bookshelves

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The themes of the story are great and the plot sounds interesting. Too bad about the errors. Good job on the review.
Kourtney Bradley

kimmyschemy06 wrote:The themes of the story are great and the plot sounds interesting. Too bad about the errors. Good job on the review.
Thank you!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

i have to agree that it sounds more of a life story than a fiction book. Thank you for the honest and great review!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Kourtney Bradley

zero_macabre wrote:i have to agree that it sounds more of a life story than a fiction book. Thank you for the honest and great review!
Thank you! :)
–Vera Nazarian
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Hate it when books aren't edited well ?
Thank you for the honest and insightful review.
Kourtney Bradley

AA1495 wrote:Hate it when books aren't edited well ?
Thank you for the honest and insightful review.
Thank you for reading!
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review. The concept of the story seem good. However, it's not usually a good sign when parts of a short book are a little dull.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kourtney Bradley

bookowlie wrote:Nice, insightful review. The concept of the story seem good. However, it's not usually a good sign when parts of a short book are a little dull.
Thank you for reading!
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”