Contemporary Fiction Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Contemporary Fiction Books

Post by Scott »

Please use this thread to recommend or post short reviews of books that fall in the category of contemporary fiction.

If you want personalized recommendations for this genre, make a post in this thread with a brief explanation about what type of other books or authors you like in this genre.

You can also recommend against reading books that you read but didn't like.

When recommending a book, it may help to make a concise description of the book. If you wish to write more than a paragraph about a book or series, please post a new thread dedicated solely to that book or series.

If you are listing a lot of books, it may be a good idea to briefly explain the list a little. (Are all the books part of a sub-genre? Do they all the books you are listing have something in common? If they are your personal favorites in the genre, then briefly tell us a little about yourself and what types of books you like.)

Thanks,
Scott
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Montetre'
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Montetre' »

I never cared for Immanuel's name!
booklover7809

Post by booklover7809 »

If you like thriller/suspense/drama and haven't read any of Joanna Hines' novels then you really should - brilliant author. I have just posted a review of the latest book I've read of hers, Improvising Carla, on my blogspot, Booklover Book Reviews. My review of her book, Surface Tension, is available there also.
kimsmom

Post by kimsmom »

A young man from our area just published his first novel and I was blown away. A great coming of age literary work. Suspense, drama, love interests. It has something for everyone.
"Where The Days Are Longer" by Jeff R. Norris

From the back cover:
"Time seems to drag on for J.R. Cooper and his friends, but all of that changes on a cold Iowa night. Can the chain reaction of one event destroy an entire community? Stricken with grief, he's forced to take a closer look at his sleepy Iowa town. Drawing from his past, he must find the strength to overcome an unthinkable tragedy."

Search the title on Facebook for more info about his website, etc. That's how I found out about the book.
jean houghton-beatty

Post by jean houghton-beatty »

I am new to Book & Reading Forums. Is it OK for me to post my second book, Stoney Beck, in this section. Please advise me how to proceed.
thnx
Author Eyes

Post by Author Eyes »

I would like to recommend DEAD WEIGHT by Batt Humphreys. This novel is historical fiction about the injustice of an African American, wrongly accused of assault and murder in Charleston, SC in the year 1910. Tightly written and fast-paced, this novel kept me excited from page one. Great characters and expertly crafted prose.

Shelley Stout
Author of RADIUM HALOS
available from Amazon or Librifiles Publishing
lagym888

Post by lagym888 »

kimsmom wrote:A young man from our area just published his first novel and I was blown away. A great coming of age literary work. Suspense, drama, love interests. It has something for everyone.
"Where The Days Are Longer" by Jeff R. Norris

From the back cover:
"Time seems to drag on for J.R. Cooper and his friends, but all of that changes on a cold Iowa night. Can the chain reaction of one event destroy an entire community? Stricken with grief, he's forced to take a closer look at his sleepy Iowa town. Drawing from his past, he must find the strength to overcome an unthinkable tragedy."

Search the title on Facebook for more info about his website, etc. That's how I found out about the book.
I also read that book kimsmom and I really appreciate that book. Thank you for reminding me that story. :)
RK

Post by RK »

"Extra Virgin" is a captivating, women's fiction novel which includes all of the friendships, romances and adventures you'd expect from this genre, as well as plenty of twists and turns and an underlying metaphorical level if you're that way inclined. It is available for sale on Amazon and in bookstores.
As the author, I provide FOC reading guides and comprehensive discussions points to bookclubs. Post here if you'd like me to forward you this information.
Happy reading!
debbedeet

Post by debbedeet »

I'm currently unemployed and reading 5+ books per week. One that has stuck out in this reading frenzy in Postcards from a Dead Girl.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I am 60 pages into 'Ghost Light' by Joseph O'Connor and finding it a truly amazing and beautifully written book ... so far I'm just loving it
Jade

Post by Jade »

I would like to recommend a novella I have recently started and was simply blown away by the coloured symbolism, the easy fluency and languid style of the narrative , it's best described like a crazy mix of impressionist work spliced together with an assault of post modern Dali. I heard the writer speaking on the radio about what moves her to write and she spoke of a process whereby she does research notes then sketches out a plot and characters adding to them as she gets inspired , she described the whole process like painting or recording a song and I think is very evident in her work which has lots of interesting language with musical and artistic metaphors . I am particularly impressed by the fact that she draws on these influences and then uses them as terms of description it is a technique I have not come across before and very effective for stroy telling in modern society .

one of my favorite quotes from the novel so far explains this technique much more eloquently than I can :

" ...together they were unquestionably bollylicious , the couple of the moment . Dimple spoke with that strange Mid Atlantic Bollywood drawl her words curving each syllable like the shape of her boudoir frame"

This is pure poetry and such a pretty way to describe a raunchy chick .
The book explores the themes of celebrity, tabloid news, fame , notoriety , greed and excess, drugs and social class it's brilliantly stylish and a must read for anyone interested in new fiction I'm loving it :D
Tomasaki

Post by Tomasaki »

Just the other day I finished the book Starlighter by Bryan Davis. I've been a fan of Davis for a long time, when I started reading his Dragons in our Midst series. Bryan Davis is definitely an author you should look into if you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy novels, especially those about dragons.

Starlighter was really good, and what makes it better is that it's the first book in a trilogy (so there's even more to read!). The book takes place between two planets that share a mysterious past. It's all about a boy who wonders if rumors of another planet, where dragons have enslaved humans, really exists, and if he can find a way to get there, and save the "Lost Ones". I don't want to say a whole lot more, because I personally dislike reading synopses, so I won't fall into the hypocrisy of writing one of my own.

Anyway, check out Bryan Davis online. I'd post some links to his websites, but since I haven't been around long enough to bypass the restrictions.
Luella

Post by Luella »

Hi there, my name's Luella and I work for a Film Production Company in London . I have a monster appetite for books and am always looking for inspiration for projects and work in development :
My top tip is SLIDE by SAIRA VIOLA it's smart funny and spills the dirt on the excesses of modern life . The really unique and original aspect of this book is the way it is written - the writer has developed a new style of writing that plays with language and words so is refreshing . If you like it uncensored and raw Viola's a hot read .
lukebodell

Post by lukebodell »

Author Eyes wrote:I would like to recommend DEAD WEIGHT by Batt Humphreys. This novel is historical fiction about the injustice of an African American, wrongly accused of assault and murder in Charleston, SC in the year 1910. Tightly written and fast-paced, this novel kept me excited from page one. Great characters and expertly crafted prose.

Is this heavily based on a true story, or just roughly based on the fact that this sort of injustice happened quite often in those times?
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

I'd like to recommend my favorite author Charles Bukowski and the first book I ever read of his Post Office. For anyone who's ever worked a job they hated and stayed there because, well because of complacency might want to give this one a read. The main character, Henry Chinaski, is based on Bukowski an unabashed alcoholic womanizer who has no regrets. His writing is very solid and abrasive.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”