Featured Review: Dawn's Eerie Light by Roy Ziegler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Featured Review: Dawn's Eerie Light by Roy Ziegler

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dawn's Eerie Light" by Roy Ziegler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dawn’s Eerie Light is a romantic suspense thriller written by Roy Ziegler.

The story is primarily about Riley Warner, a talented and successful architect who is in love with his friend Leo, who is, in turn, in a relationship with Matt, Riley’s best friend. After working with them for the construction of Green Rock Resort, Riley decides to stay away from New Jersey and move to New York City to refrain himself from ruining their long-standing friendship. After a few years, Riley meets someone who loves him just as much as he loves Leo.

When a prestigious and exciting award brings Leo to New York City, Riley can no longer hold himself back. Unbeknownst to anyone, a vengeful and dangerous person is waiting for an opportunity to present itself. Just when Leo is within Riley’s grasp, all hell breaks loose.

When I chose this book to review, the description did not mention anything about gay relationship. So, I am under the impression that the author wants to keep the plot a surprise. Much as I want to do the same thing, I feel that I should give prospective readers a choice, as I do believe that not everyone prefers to read about same sex relationships.

I consider Dawn’s Eerie Light a great story of unrequited love. It describes the pain and loneliness of a person who loves someone so much, to the point of obsession, who does not love him back. It shows that regardless of successful career and financial security, there is a void in his heart that can never be filled and a need that can never be satisfied by just anyone or anything. It portrays how the hunger for love and emotional connection can drive someone to self-destruction and bring harm to anyone, from the most innocent bystander to the person closest to his heart. At the end of the book, I felt so blessed and thankful for the love of my family, that though we live a very simple life, we know we have each other at the end of the day.

The author’s descriptions of the settings are vivid and the backstories are so detailed that it feels like the reader knows the characters personally, understands them, feels their happiness as well as their pain, and wants to stop them from doing something they will regret. Needless to say, this is one moving and unforgettable story that will stay with the reader for a while.

However, I find the pacing, somehow, inconsistent. There is a part when everything seems to be happening so fast, then suddenly gets to a standstill and then picks up again. Moreover, the characters keep on interrupting each other during dialogues which I find distracting. Furthermore, the characters seem to be too effusive with their praises for each other that it becomes redundant later in the story.

Despite my issues, which I believe are subjective, I still give this book the rate of 4 out of 4 stars. It is a great story of love and I recommend it to those who appreciate suspense, thriller and same sex love stories.

Dawn's Eerie Light
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

Wow, this sounds like an interesting book. Great review!
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Clifora wrote:Wow, this sounds like an interesting book. Great review!
Thank you very much. It is very interesting :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, balanced review! I am glad you enjoyed the book. I also find the pacing in many books to be inconsistent. The book will either start off like gangbusters and then drag along in the middle, or have a very slow start and then pick up in the second half.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:Great, balanced review! I am glad you enjoyed the book. I also find the pacing in many books to be inconsistent. The book will either start off like gangbusters and then drag along in the middle, or have a very slow start and then pick up in the second half.
Thank you very much. Sometimes the inconsistent pacing takes some of the excitement away :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I never thought of it that way. I just get impatient for the plot to move along. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:I never thought of it that way. I just get impatient for the plot to move along. :)
:D :D :D
Kayla R Garrett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Kayla R Garrett »

This book sounds very interesting!! I will have to add it to my reading list that I hope to get done very soon.

-- 09 Aug 2016, 21:05 --

This book sounds very interesting!! I will have to add it to my reading list that I hope to get done very soon.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kayla R Garrett wrote:This book sounds very interesting!! I will have to add it to my reading list that I hope to get done very soon.

-- 09 Aug 2016, 21:05 --

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review, kimmyschemy06! This definitely sounds like an interesting book. I do agree with mentioning that the relationship in this story involves a gay couple because like you said not everyone prefers to read a book like this. I read and reviewed a book recently that involved the male protagonist who liked men, as well, and decided to mention it. Even though, I have no issue with it, I can definitely see others feeling uncomfortable with this aspect. Anyway, great review on what seems like an intriguing read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review, kimmyschemy06! This definitely sounds like an interesting book. I do agree with mentioning that the relationship in this story involves a gay couple because like you said not everyone prefers to read a book like this. I read and reviewed a book recently that involved the male protagonist who liked men, as well, and decided to mention it. Even though, I have no issue with it, I can definitely see others feeling uncomfortable with this aspect. Anyway, great review on what seems like an intriguing read!
Thank you very much. So true about various preferences. So, though the mention may come as a spoiler, I think it was necessary :)
eric klein
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by eric klein »

I'd like to read this interesting book
AuthoressofMystery
Currently Reading: Finding Poe
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoressofmystery.html
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AuthoressofMystery »

That was a great review. Very balanced. Although it doesn't sound like a book I would choose to read, I did enjoy the review and feel that I could refer it to those who would consider it for their shelves.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

Edmond Burke
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

eric klein wrote:I'd like to read this interesting book
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

-- 23 Aug 2016, 19:00 --
AuthoressofMystery wrote:That was a great review. Very balanced. Although it doesn't sound like a book I would choose to read, I did enjoy the review and feel that I could refer it to those who would consider it for their shelves.
Thank you very much. It is a great book :)
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

Sounds like an interesting book. Great review!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”