"The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie" by Muriel Spark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
megustaleer
Bookshelf Size: 0

"The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie" by Muriel Spark

Post by megustaleer »

The eponymous heroine of this book is generally perceived to be the kind of teacher that all in education should aspire to be, an example and inspiration to her pupils. I have always been puzzled by that view, and a recent reading of the book by one of my reading groups revealed a concensus supprting my opinion, which is:

Miss B. abuses her position by assembling a group of favourite girls who she uses to advance and be audience to her political and sexual notions. The girls are manipulated to various ends, and carry her influence into their adult lives. Only Sandy really realizez what is happening, and she 'betrays' Miss Brodie, not for her love affairs, but for her political opinions. (which were very right wing...remember this is set in 1930s Scotland).

I would not like a child of mine to be taught by a Miss Brodie, as a 'favourite', or as one of lesser interest to her!

Your comments please
JohnnyOstentatious
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JohnnyOstentatious »

I tried reading this book the other day because I read a review of the recent play. Just couldn't get into the book -- returned it to the library after 50 pages.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”