Review of A Passage To Home

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review of A Passage To Home

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Passage To Home" by Rod Marquardt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It is a snowy winter day in Denver, Colorado. Billy Hobbs, a successful dentist at All Smiles, has just finished his last day at work before the Christmas holidays by handing out generous bonuses to his employees. It is time to head home to his wife, Laura, and their two daughters, Molly and Mandy. On the way home, Billy stops at a jewelry shop to pick up a gift for his beloved wife. To his slight surprise, the house is empty when he arrives. Only the red light blinks on the phone to inform that the family Hobbs has received messages. Billy picks up the phone, having no idea that he's soon about to find out that there has been an accident and the bodies of his wife and daughters are lying in the morgue.

Billy is now facing the darkest days of his life. To his surprise, mysterious bottles of blue nectar appear out of nowhere, and Billy receives messages from something or someone called Fate. This Fate promises to fix Billy's problems, but how can anything fix a loss of a family? Billy struggles to understand what is going on and starts questioning his sanity. To make things worse, Billy lets his sorrow drive him into making stupid decisions, and he finds himself in serious trouble. While he seeks closure, he gets mugged in a bad neighborhood. In the aftermath of the mugging, Billy meets the Johnson family. They are friendly people and do their best to patch him up mentally and physically. However, they cannot replace his family. Billy misses Laura, Molly, and Mandy dearly, and Fate keeps interfering with its strange promises. What or who is Fate, and can its promises be trusted? Is it capable of reuniting Billy with his family?

A Passage to Home by Rod Marquardt is a fictional story of loss, grief, hope, and supernatural encounters. It is also a story of friendship. The author's limitless imagination guarantees a wild ride that does not fall short of suspenseful, surprising turns of events. I have always appreciated unpredictability and unexpected plot twists in the books I pick up, and this story offered plenty of both. I enjoyed the constant excitement of not knowing where the story was heading next. In addition, Billy's encounters with the supernatural left me gasping for breath in astonishment. How would you feel if a toy dog without batteries started barking in your living room? Or if you found a bottle of strange blue nectar in your pocket? And that was just the beginning. I could not help but wonder where did the author get all these ideas.

However, my favorite feature of this book is the unexpected friendship Billy forms with the Johnson family. Monica, Eddie, and Doc have experienced their share of hardships in life. Materially thinking, they do not have much to share. However, they are happy people, and their hearts are pure gold. All their attempts to help Billy, a stranger who practically landed on their doorstep, touched my heart. The world could use more people like Monica, Eddie, and Doc.

On the downside, the first chapters of this book are tedious. Although the author's description of Billy's grieving process is relatable, the story drags along as the author takes the reader through his days almost hour by hour. I did not quite understand why Marquardt initially chose such a slow approach, especially since it did not continue throughout the book. The story picked up a good, steady pace later. Another unfortunate detail is that this book did not appear professionally edited. Countless typos disturbed the otherwise pleasant reading experience. This book would greatly benefit from another round of editing.

A Passage to Home earns a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. Perhaps the name of Billy Hobbs' business, All Smiles, is foreboding; despite the heavy topic of loss and grief, it is a story that leaves the reader smiling. Unfortunately, due to editing issues and the slow beginning of the story, I could not give this book a full rating.

I recommend this book to open-minded readers who like to let their imaginations run wild and do not take supernatural issues too seriously. If you could use a story that brings a smile to your face, this one is for you!

A Passage To Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The many roars may keep me from truly enjoying this, but I am going to try it. Billy’s journey is remarkably similar to that of a lot of us, without the supernatural, of course. Thanks!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Amy Luman wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 16:49 The many roars may keep me from truly enjoying this, but I am going to try it. Billy’s journey is remarkably similar to that of a lot of us, without the supernatural, of course. Thanks!
Thank you, Amy, for taking the time to read & comment! :)
Kirsi
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It's so good that Billy finds comfort in Johnson's family. However, I'm curious who this Fate is. I think she will give some supernatural help to Billy to see his dead family-- just my guess. I adore your exceptional review, Kirsi!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 29 Aug 2023, 23:18 It's so good that Billy finds comfort in Johnson's family. However, I'm curious who this Fate is. I think she will give some supernatural help to Billy to see his dead family-- just my guess. I adore your exceptional review, Kirsi!
Thank you for your kind words! :) Well, Fate was indeed interesting. Out of curiosity, how did you come to a conclusion that Fate might be a 'she'?
Kirsi
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Kirsi Cultrera wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 15:42
Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 29 Aug 2023, 23:18 It's so good that Billy finds comfort in Johnson's family. However, I'm curious who this Fate is. I think she will give some supernatural help to Billy to see his dead family-- just my guess. I adore your exceptional review, Kirsi!
Thank you for your kind words! :) Well, Fate was indeed interesting. Out of curiosity, how did you come to a conclusion that Fate might be a 'she'?
Oh, sorry, I just based it on the name. I wish I could read the book to find out who or what Fate is. Thanks Kirsi.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”