Official Review: Blood Moon by Mary Blowers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stanley
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanley.html
Latest Review: "Return to the Go-Go" by William Peskett

Official Review: Blood Moon by Mary Blowers

Post by stanley »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood Moon" by Mary Blowers.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mary Blower's eclectic anthology of twelve stories, Blood Moon, includes eight fantasies: one of her own, "Behind the Wall", "The Weekend Trip:Snowed ", by Dash McCallen, "The Wings of Leonardo," by Timothy Trimble. "Staffio's Mystery" by Peter Bouchier, "Hello Dear" by Stewart Bint, "Transforming Eve" by Vanessa Wright, "View from the Tower" by Eric Van Mechelen, and "The World of Magifidad" by R.H. Ali. Four of the eight deal with encounters with the future. In "The Wings of Leonardo," for example, the great Renaissance genius by means of a not quite credible contraption assembled of mirrors, magnets, and connected lightning rods contrives a scope into which he peers at a horrifying scene of twentieth century aerial bombardment. In alarm, Leonardo Da Vinci adopts a drastic expedient counter to all his dreams of manned flight to avoid creating the progenitor of flying machines that rain mass death and destruction from the skies. This self-destruct theme in the face of future apocalypse occurs again in "Transforming Eve." Eve, a hideous cloned creation of misguided biological science rebels against her own exploitation and forced birth into an already plague ridden dystopia of the future in the only way possible for a creature like her.

In "Behind the Wall" and "Hello, Dear" themes of time travel are more personally immediate as the characters deal with just the individual significance of other- temporal existence. In the first, a fictional treatment of reception after death into heavenly afterlife, a first person narrator experiences the disorientation of a soul in transition between death and eternity. In the second, another protagonist in the first person experiences both her past and future selves at one moment in a single encounter between the two.

The four remaining fantasies depict supernatural anomalies more spacial than temporal. In "Staffio's Mystery" a nineteenth century composer survives a storm at sea by way of a sailing dinghy that seems to have volition and agency of its own. "The World of Magifidad" is a strangely whimsical-cutesy-tragic account of of a naive young girl's quest in a highly floral, enchanted, fairy attended realm for her impossibly beautiful "real" royal parents. For classic horror there is in "The Weekend: Snowed" the human engulfing wall paper of a house seemingly intent upon the destruction of its inhabitants. Finally there is among the fantasies, "View from the Tower", a well crafted account of the friction between two cultures that remains "realistic" to the very end only to be marred there by a supernatural manifestation emanating from the smoke of a trash fire.

The remaining stories of the collection compare well,I think, with those in the science fiction and fantasy modes. It's a matter of taste, perhaps, but I think that I prefer them. Two of them," Waltz out of the Blues" and "Stefania" are interesting for their style and plot devices. The first uses two narrators, a married couple who on opposing pages offer parallel accounts of the same story. The second, by way of letters between a man and woman who are strangers to a snooping first person heroine reader, change that reader's attitudes toward her own troubled marriage. A third story, "Iglesia De Cristo," is an engaging account of a half Cherokee builder/part time musician who in those twin roles discovers new possibilities in his own life by bridging three cultures.

To this reader these stories were of widely uneven quality. That is the nature of an anthology, perhaps. A reader cannot find all the stories there equally engaging. Those I found less so lacked in my opinion, solid crafting in terms of plausible plotting, rounded character development, and succinct, vivid language. Some of the stories in their attempt,I think, to channel primal archetypal themes were not entirely successful and so lapsed into predictable forms couched in tired cliche's. That said, I still think the general reader who is as much interested in the variety of stuff out there as I am will find something in this collection worth her/his time.

I did particularly enjoy the individual bios of all twelve of these up and coming writers. For me they gave, though brief, some sense of personal connection between reader and writer, and the joint venture upon which both parties embark whenever a story is told, written, listened to, or read. I think this collection deserves more than a 2 rating, but, given the minor weaknesses in crafting, even in the best of these stories, I cannot say it merits a full three. I must rate it,then, as a 2 out of 4.

Blood Moon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like stanley's review? Post a comment saying so!
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I am a little confused what was the role of Mary Blowers, apart from being the author of one of the stories. Is she the editor of the book?
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
stanley
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanley.html

Post by stanley »

Yes, she assembled the anthology. This is volume two as a matter of fact under this same title. This is the first of her work that I have read, however.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. You made the stories sound very interesting. I am particularly intrigued by 'Behind the Wall'. Great review!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I'm not a huge fan of anthologies but the story about Leonardo Da Vinci sounds very interesting to me! I'm not sure I would buy the book based on one story though. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
blowersm
Bookshelf Size: 3
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by blowersm »

Can you please post this review on Amazon and Smashwords? I thought that would be done automatically?
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

blowersm wrote:Can you please post this review on Amazon and Smashwords? I thought that would be done automatically?
As per the gudelines, the Official Reviews are exclusive to this site and cannot be posted somewhere else. @Scott Please contact Scott if you need further information.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

You have provided a very honest review. I am not a big fan of anthologies but would give this one a shot. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

A review which enlists honest opinions is appreciated by pretty much everyone. I'm glad I came across this before reading the book. Thank you for your opinion, I think this one might not be for me.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”