Official Review: Winter Light by Robin Maderich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Re: Official Review: Winter Light by Robin Maderich

Post by NadineTimes10 »

bookowlie wrote:I finished the book a few days ago and enjoyed it very much. How can you not like a guy who loves take-out Chinese food? :D I agree with you that Lydia is a layered, realistic character, where the author could have just made her a stereotypical little girl. The only thing I would have liked to see was a more fleshed out dating backstory for Allison, the main character. There was no hint of any past romantic relationships before Luke popped up in her life. Maybe I missed something, but it felt weird that it was never mentioned if she had a boyfriend or boyfriends at some point in her life. Her backstory just felt a little sparse other than her running her parents' bookstore.
Very interesting point, Owlie! I guess I automatically assumed that, for the purpose of this tale, Luke is Allie's backstory, as a very sparse dating history with only one key highlight or two is nothing foreign to me--but that would be a discussion for an entirely different forum. :oops: :lol2: I do wonder how much these characters may or may not show up later in the series.

So glad you read the book! This serves as a much-needed kick in the pants for me to get back on the ball with my own reading, lest my TBR list should report me to the FBI as a missing person.

-- Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:21 am --
Momlovesbooks wrote:Great review! I love reading books like that during the holidays. Even though the holidays are officially over, I'll have to add that one to my reading list!
Yes--now that I've been pretty lately introduced to holiday reading, and Christmas is the holiday of ALL holidays to me, I may find myself in the company of Christmas books at more points during the year. :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”