Review of American Dream?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Francis Ignacio
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Review of American Dream?

Post by Francis Ignacio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "American Dream?" by Jeoung Lee.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

American Dream? by Jeoung Lee tells the story of Hanel Kim, a Korean nurse working in America before the COVID pandemic and during it. She was born in Korea but left after the political unrest caused by the assassination of their president. Her senior brother, Daehan, who fought the new administration, left for America before her.

She first went to Saudi Arabia, where she worked at a hospital in the war-torn country, but due to the insecurity, she made up her mind to leave. The last straw was when she barely escaped an attempt to kidnap her. She has always been asked by her brother to come to the US, and that is what she decided to do. With firm purpose, she settles in Alaska and gets employed at a non-profit hospital. Does she get the American Dream? Find out the fate of Hanel when you read this book.

There are many things I liked about this book. It was fiction, but it spoke about the reality of health care and hospital administration in America. This book was written about the COVID era and how hospitals coped with the pandemic. How treatments were done, how nurses and doctors got infected due to a lack of sufficient protective gear, and much more. It also talked about the in-depth racism and discrimination against foreign nurses in the assignment of duties and in promotion. We saw how foreign nurses were made to do more work than white nurses because the supervisors were also white.

One thing I admired was Hanel's personality. She was a dedicated nurse who did her work diligently and cared for her patients earnestly. Even though she was discriminated against, she never let her feelings affect her work. The author showed her writing prowess in the way she wrote the story from both the past and present interchangeably. The way it tied up at the end was beautiful to behold.

There was nothing I did not like about this book. It was informative and socially charged. It was also short in length and did not have unnecessary information. I found only one error, so I can say the book was professionally edited. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The reason for my rating has been stated above. This book was written for Korean nurses seeking to work in the US. But anyone working in the American health sector is recommended to read this book.

American Dream?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Chris Agbara »

This is a great review. It has spur my interest to get this book. I will like to see whether Hanel gets the American Dream.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

I adore genuine doctors, doctors that put their patients before their pleasure. They deserve more credit than they are given. Hanel for this reason would make an astounding character. I can imagine how tiresome it must've been to put in so much effort only to be discriminated against and remain unrecognized.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:
Kyle Sutheran
Favorite Author: Elizabeth Moore Kraus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle-sutheran.html
Latest Review: From Flames to Valor by Jose L Berrios
fav_author_id: 258142
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 270%

Post by Kyle Sutheran »

Thank you for your review. The brief overview accompanied with the positive and negative aspects of the book have shown me that you enjoyed this book. The fact that the American dream is something people chase and I love how this book details an exploration of finding it. I cannot wait to read this book.
K. Sutheran :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”