Review of Where Did Hannah Go

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Review of Where Did Hannah Go

Post by Donald Kelvin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where Did Hannah Go" by Barb Hartwell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Where Did Hannah Go is a fictional, slightly paranormal thriller written by Barb Hartwell. Elizabeth Winters woke up one morning to realize that her uncle, Grant, had left her his house and investments with the notion that he was not returning. This action reminded Elizabeth of how Grant's wife, Hannah, had also left fifteen years ago without so much as a note. Making decisions about her newfound wealth, she decides to move into Grant's house; however, she employs her sister's help with the interior decoration. Elizabeth then goes off to meet with Jack North, her uncle's boss, and some of the advisers for her uncle's investments. During her meeting with Jack, she discovered he was pretty young for his position as CEO; she instantly took a liking to him, and they exchanged contacts.

At the meeting with the advisers, she gets a call from a frightened Kathy. On getting home, her sister, Kathy, informs her of what she saw in the basement. She had seen something that resembled Hannah's ghost in the basement; this scared them both, and they called Ron, their brother, to help as he had affiliations with some paranormal investigators. After the investigation, they confirm that it's Hannah, and the question on everyone's mind becomes, what happened to Hannah, and why is her ghost trapped in the basement? Grant is on a cruise ship, where he plans to escape societal pressure. Will he be successful? What becomes of Jack and Elizabeth? Would the spark they felt become a flame? Read this book to find out.

Where Did Hannah Go by Barb Hartwell was an exhilarating story to read. I appreciate its concise nature, which I enjoyed in one read. I appreciated that the plot was entirely different from what I was used to. The storyline was easy to follow and flowed well; no one would have an issue with it. The character development was nicely done. The audience would have no difficulty understanding the influx of characters as the story progressed. My favourite character was Elizabeth; her calm demeanour throughout the myriad of events happening throughout the story was impressive. Jack was also a warm character; he was very kind and understanding. The story was a combination of humour, paranormal activity, and mystery.

However, I had some dislikes as the story progressed. First was the irregularity of the plot; the story had some unarranged switches, which I didn't appreciate—one moment, it centred on Elizabeth, the next on Grant on the same page. I found that confusing, as those were two different scenarios. Another thing I didn't like was the cliché nature of this story; the love stories appeared so easy and unchallenging. It also happened in a hurry. I wouldn't say I liked that about the story. I also encountered some minor errors, leading me to believe this story was professionally edited. However, with the above mentioned issue, I'd have to deduct a star and rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. All in all, it was a good read.

This concise but engaging book by Barb Hartwell is worth the read and would augur well with readers interested in mystery, paranormal activity, and thrillers. Readers interested in short love stories would also find it worthwhile.

Where Did Hannah Go
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

Mystery, romance, and thriller are some of my favorite genres, so I believe that this is a book that I would enjoy!
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

I would also like to find out where Hannah went. The story seems thrilling to read. I wonder how the protagonist could manage to live with a ghost, or did she move out to live with her sisters? I guess I'll have to find out for myself. Nice review.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”