Review of The Unlikely Cowboy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nazmeera Khan 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nazmeera-khan-1.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of The Unlikely Cowboy

Post by Nazmeera Khan 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unlikely Cowboy" by James E. Doucette.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The protagonist, Joseph D'Angelo, is a former veteran of the army who is now a reputable and respectable sergeant in the NYPD. Over the last twenty years, he has earned respect and followers who love him in the police department. He is grief-stricken over the deaths of his family members over the last ten years. He aims to have a stress-free life and buries himself in his work. While on patrol, he receives news of a bank robbery. After arriving at the scene, he shoots Hector, a cartel leader's brother, and the lead robber, and arrests two individuals. Reporters create a storm of criticism, and Joe is taken for an investigation. When Joe is declared free, he retires from the police department and moves to Texas. He meets new friends, and a special someone catches his eye. As he starts his new life, will he also find love? Will his enemies follow him to Texas? Are all his loved ones in danger? Follow the journey of The Unlikely Cowboy: A Flat Top Mountain Adventure to learn more.

This book by James E. Doucette is a heartfelt and brilliant story. It is a hybrid genre book that includes action, romance, adventure, tragedy, mystery, and bravery. It mentions the story of loss, how to overcome challenges in life, and how to understand that everything happens in life for a reason. The main protagonist, Joe, has lost everything, from his parents to his wife to his only son. He also loses his love and passion for his job and retires, but he still never gives up and starts a new life with new hopes and dreams.

The way the author writes this book is outstanding. At the beginning, the author's note shows us the setting of this book and tells us how much this book means to him and his wife, Denise. I also liked how the author writes the setting of the story at the beginning of most chapters, like Mexico, Texas, and New York. This helps the reader not get confused and know which scenes are taking place. The best thing that I liked was how each character was developed in this book. They all have problems in their lives and still never give up.

I have no dislikes or problems with this book. The characters coming together and sharing the true bond of friendship is amazing. The times when Joe goes back to his good memories and remembers his friends and family and how each of them met are magical. The plot, mood, and setting of the story that occur in this book are great. This book has also been professionally edited and has no profanity or sexual scenes. I rate this book five out of five stars.

This book is inspiring, motivating, and addictive. It gives readers a good plot, amazing characters, and beautiful scenery. I recommend this book to people who love to read adventures with a little romance, as well as to people who love to read about ranchers and the beauty of Texas.

The Unlikely Cowboy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Towfiq Juma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-towfiq-juma.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Towfiq Juma »

The book’s vivid descriptions of the daily activities of the cowboys and Joe’s friends were also exceptionally well done. The short chapters made for easy reading, and I appreciated the humour that was scattered throughout the story. Great review 👍

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”