Review of I Hope There's Baseball In Heaven

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Review of I Hope There's Baseball In Heaven

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Hope There's Baseball In Heaven" by Nick Peters.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Baron Bice, then twelve, resided in Beaverville, Alabama, with his family. His father, Jack Bice, was a farmer, and the family lived on the farm. On Saturdays, Baron would assist his dad on the farm, but he quickly decided he didn't want to be a farmer when he grew up due to the unstable revenue that comes with low productivity. This gave Baron the drive to pursue his ambition of playing professional baseball. Baseball was Baron's favorite sport, and he excelled at it. 

Baron had an uneasy awakening on March 8, 1993. On that day's afternoon, he had baseball tryouts scheduled. Even though he was confident in his ability to play, he couldn't help but feel a little intimidated by the level of competition. One of the championship's most valuable players, Clay Crenshaw, switched from Huntston to Baron's school. Jack reassured Baron that he would be okay and that he was a good player as well. How well will Baron perform at the baseball tryouts? After the tryouts, what happens next? For more information, read Nick Peters' I Hope There's Baseball In Heaven. 

The plot of this book is the easiest-to-follow and cutest one I've ever read. For that, Nick Peters' writing style deserves praise. I adore the serenity reading this book brings. I was enthralled by Peters' creation of Baron's charming and devoted family. My opinion is that the growth of each member of the family contributed to the formation of Baron's personality. Despite my lack of familiarity with baseball games, I had no trouble understanding the terms used. The terminology was relatively simple, and one could quickly look it up online or in a dictionary. I appreciate that the author avoided overusing deel jargon in the book so that both those who are familiar with the sport and those who are not can understand it.

The chapters of this book contain several thought-provoking Bible verses. Ecclesiastes 3:1–3, however, caught my attention the most. It spoke to readers and exuded a reassuring aura. In this book, faith was the subject that most interested me. I admire how Peters emphasized the importance of maintaining confidence in God even when everything around you appears to be failing. Because there is a guarantee that everything will be alright, this one act gives the person hope, which can ease the burden of the feelings they are experiencing. 

Jack Bice, Baron's father, is one of my favorite characters. You might think my choice is odd, but I firmly believe in it. Baron's father, Jack, provided a lot of love and support. Like other young people, Baron had reservations about his chances of success. But Jack reassured him that he could achieve everything he wanted. His father emphasized to him that, with God, anything is possible. Jack gave Baron a solid foundation of self-assurance and pride in his skills. Without those few words of encouragement, doubt would have crept into Baron's thoughts and prevented him from achieving the goals he had set out to achieve. 

The absence of character descriptions was the only aspect of this book that bothered me. Without knowing how these characters looked, it was challenging for me to imagine them fully. I'm still not sure if they were tall, short, overweight, or even skinny. For this, I'll deduct a star and rate it 4 out of 5 stars. Apart from that, the book was well-written and engaging. Furthermore, I found no errors in this book, which indicates it was exceptionally edited.

I recommend this book to baseball fans of all ages and everyone who enjoys reading a good Christian book since, in addition to addressing baseball, a significant portion, if not all, of this book emphasizes reverence and faith toward God.

I Hope There's Baseball In Heaven
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am not so much interested in baseball, but I am interested in learning about God’s attributes. Right now, I am in the middle of a season of learning to trust God fully. I am happy to hear that, even if it is fiction, He helped someone else, like Baron, achieve their dreams.
Genevieve Chinaza
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genevieve-chinaza.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Genevieve Chinaza »

Wow,I’m not really a fan of base ball but I’m interested in this copy.The copy contains a few bible verses making it more engaging.Thank you for the great review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”