Official Review: Playing Hurt by Gerald L Nardella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Playing Hurt by Gerald L Nardella

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Playing Hurt" by Gerald L Nardella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On an October evening in 1960, it starts out as any other football game, but it’s the final game of the season for the Park County High Rangers. Brian and the other senior players are determined to win their last ever football game to make it the most memorable game of their lives. Despite their loss and injuries of the evening, the night ends up being even more memorable than expected. A massive fight breaks out amongst the players and spectators, followed by a kegger party, revenge vandalism, a police chase, and arson.

On top of all that, Brian’s mind is preoccupied with his girlfriend Deanie, who is upset with him about the events of the previous night. But Deanie has problems of her own now that her ex-boyfriend is back in town from California; he has his own plans for Deanie and refuses to take no for an answer. For Brian and Deanie, all of the events of that unforgettable night continue to haunt them for months to come.

Playing Hurt is a memoir-like tale of a group of youngsters living in a small town back in a time when there wasn’t much for them to do except drive around in their cars and “park” up on the cliffs. Gerald Nardella gives readers a pretty accurate depiction of what it was like to be a teenager during this time, with boys having only one thing on their minds and girls finding only one way to keep their boyfriends interested in them. This book contain some strong language and lots of strong sexual references, but it is not too graphic for a young adult audience.

I enjoyed reading this book for its quick pace and easy-to-follow story. It is engaging and certainly a page-turner, with lots of action and interesting characters, who are easy to both love and hate at the same time. About a third of the book takes place in the single night of the opening football game; this is my own personal preference with reading, but I love it when books takes place within a short time frame like this. I also love how so many tiny details from the opening of the book come back to become important later on in the story, and I have to commend the author for such a well-planned plot, with every word being relevant to the story.

I found a few typographical errors throughout the book, but they did not detract from the overall quality of the story. However, the formatting of my electronic book was a bit awkward at times, though I am sure that this is not the fault of the author but is likely the result of some error when converting to Kindle format. For example, paragraphs are not indented, and sometimes sections of dialogue between characters appear to be combined into a single paragraph. Some hyphens have been cut out, such as "rockand-roll" and "purple-andgold" (sic).

It would be easy for readers to criticize this book for being sexist and for encouraging abusive behavior toward women. But given the setting of the story and the time period in which it takes place, I just found the story to be more believable, and I often had to question whether this story is fact or fiction. I give Playing Hurt a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and recommend this book to those who would enjoy taking a short trip back in time a few decades.

Playing Hurt
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Fantastic review, ALynn. The skill with which you has summarised the story in the first two paragraphs is amazing.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

chytach18- wrote:Fantastic review, ALynn. The skill with which you has summarised the story in the first two paragraphs is amazing.
You know, summarizing a book is actually really hard!!! I think I'm getting better at it, so it makes me happy that you say something!! Thank you!!!
nards22
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by nards22 »

Thank you, Alynn for your wonderful, positive review of my book. You indeed summarized the story quite well in the first two paragraphs. I would like to point out that in your third paragraph, you mentioned "Gerald Butler". I think you meant to say Gerald Nardella. It is too bad that you did not have a book cover to display with your comments. Is it too late to add one?

Jerry Nardella
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

nards22 wrote:Thank you, Alynn for your wonderful, positive review of my book. You indeed summarized the story quite well in the first two paragraphs. I would like to point out that in your third paragraph, you mentioned "Gerald Butler". I think you meant to say Gerald Nardella. It is too bad that you did not have a book cover to display with your comments. Is it too late to add one?

Jerry Nardella

:shock:

:lol:

:lol:

I can't stop laughing. Obviously I have you confused with Gerard Butler.
I have informed an administrator and will get it changed presently.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA HA! Great review! I also like books that focus in on a small timeframe. Sounds like one crazy night!!

Congrats to Mr. Nardella! I uploaded a photo for you, but if you wanted a different image, then just let someone know. :-)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:HA HA HA! Great review! I also like books that focus in on a small timeframe. Sounds like one crazy night!!

Congrats to Mr. Nardella! I uploaded a photo for you, but if you wanted a different image, then just let someone know. :-)
Hey, thanks for that. It doesn't show up in the review, but at least it does on Bookshelves.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You're welcome! It's showing up on my screen (on the review). Weirdness.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Hey, great review! I like the setting and the portrayal of teenagers during a different time. Earlier this year I reviewed a book that was set in the 1950's - seems it was a much heavier read than this, dealing with issues as child molestation, incest, and murder - but the setting in the far-enough-away but yet not-too-distant past made for an interesting read. This sounds similar.

Oh, those boys and girls! The more things change, the more they stay the same, 'eh?
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I know, right. Aside from the cool hip slang the kids are using to mark the time period, they're still pretty much the same.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Interesting premise for a book. Nice review!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Jesska6029 wrote:Interesting premise for a book. Nice review!
Thanks.
Methinks it could be a true story. Or a movie. But it is a pretty good book!
nards22

Post by nards22 »

Hi Alynn,
There are events and characters in the story that are similar to my remembrances, but the story is fiction. What did you mean when you said "or a movie"?

Thanks again for the positive review.

Jerry Nardella
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

nards22 wrote:Hi Alynn,
There are events and characters in the story that are similar to my remembrances, but the story is fiction. What did you mean when you said "or a movie"?

Thanks again for the positive review.

Jerry Nardella
It's something I could easily see being turned into a movie! I'm trying to picture the cast right now! :)
nards22

Post by nards22 »

Wow! Lets do it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”