Official Review: Tennessee Transplantation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: Tennessee Transplantation

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tennessee Transplantation" by Anita Phelps Lockhart.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tennessee Transplantation by Anita Phelps Lockhart is a contemporary, fictional novel. The book is about an older, retired couple. Ann and Frank Flanders live in New York and enjoy traveling south during the cold, winter months. They are searching for a place to retire comfortably. Since they are a retired, middle class couple living on a limited budget, Ann has become adept at creative ways to save money.

The story begins with Ann having an interesting idea of how to save money on their next trip. She contacts the chamber of commerce in the small, Tennessee town they plan to visit. She wants to find a room in an elderly person's home in exchange for providing help around the house. This would be a mutually beneficial situation.

Through a providential set of events, the couple is put in touch with an elderly lady, Addie Rainer. The situation works out to everyone's advantage. The remainder of the book develops the characters Ann and Frank meet, describes the various exploits of the small town's citizens, and suggests some money saving tips.

The author, Anita Lockhart, is a retired federal employee. She published a poetry book and has written several short stories for a news magazine. Although this is her first novel, it is apparent by her writing skills that she is not a novice. I found very few grammatical mistakes, which was refreshing. Ms Lockhart has an easy-to-read style. She provides very detailed descriptions of the characters and setting. Although, at times I felt there was too much detail that dragged the story down. The first half of the book seemed slow-paced to me and was difficult to keep reading. However, by that point in the book, I was interested in the character's lives and wanted to keep reading to see where this story would take them. The depth of character development and focus on emotions was a positive aspect for me. Also, the dialogue fit the area of the country where this story takes place, without seeming forced and stilted. There is local, small-town flavor scattered throughout. The downside was I didn't feel the story was going anywhere. The most action came towards the end of the book. The characters were strong but the plot was weak.

For the reasons stated above, I rate this novel 2 out of 4 stars. I think this book would be enjoyed by older readers who appreciate lots of detail and writing that pertains to their generation. I would like to see another book by this author with more action and a faster pace. I think she has the ability to write great down-to-earth fictional novels that would appeal to a wider range of readers.

Tennessee Transplantation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lady1934
Favorite Author: Gene Stratton Porter
Favorite Book: Girl of the Limberlost
Currently Reading: The Dimension Travel Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Publishing Contest Votes: 5

Post by Lady1934 »

Thank you, Momlovesbooks, for your review. It is fair and your summary is right on point as I always felt it would be more of interest for older readers. I certainly appreciate the fact that you didn't give up on it. I am a people person and usually find something positive in everyone I meet. (I have been accused of being picayune and more detailed than necessary, not by any of my other other readers, but in real life.) There are two major errors that I missed, as did my manuscript reader, that cause me to wince, when I think about them. When asked the genre of my novel, my reply is always 'a slice of life.' Thank you again!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

This looks like a nice, heartwarming story. I like books where the plot is about relocating to a new area. Adding this one to my reading list. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Lady1934
Favorite Author: Gene Stratton Porter
Favorite Book: Girl of the Limberlost
Currently Reading: The Dimension Travel Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Publishing Contest Votes: 5

Post by Lady1934 »

For bookowlie, I am pleased to see your comment regarding the review of Tennessee Transplantation. I've studied various book reviews (especially 1, 2, and 3 stars) to pick up pointers to use in my sequel. One of the reviewers I followed was bookowlie and I was intimidated by yours, so to get the positive comment from you was just what I needed for encouragement. Thank you. I hope you do read it and enjoy a brief vacation to Peckville, TN.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! I love the slice-of-life concept in a book!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I have always found the description element in a story to be a controversial one. It seems to be a matter of taste, in my opinion. For example, the Harry Potter series is beyond wildly popular and most people love the overly detailed descriptions in the installments. I personally thought J.K. Rowling had excessive description for the most minor things and bogged down the plot. I
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Booknut1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booknut1 »

I also have read Tennessee Transplantation. I enjoyed it very much. Finally a down to earth story,
that anyone could relate to. I also had the opportunity to meet the Author in a strange way. I met
her at my Garage Sale. Can you imagine. We have become friends through her book. Looking forward
to more books from her. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”